GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FrankenTurbo F23T Review and build thread.

drepai

Go Kart Champion

Austin@giac

Ready to race!
The flashing process over OBD has a limited ability to "force" a new file onto the ECU. Basically, the flash-loader needs a successful handshake from the ECU in order to begin, and virtually all the aftermarket software companies have counterfeiting protections which block the handshake. This is purely a protection for the licensing companies' intellectual property. The fact that it blocks OBD-port over-writing is kind of just an unfortunate side effect.

Our software is encrypted within the ECU, we do not black anyone from reflashing over it, though. Tampering with trying to adjust changes that we've made, might cause issues. However, simply trying to flash over our software should work fine, with one caveat. Simple map flashers might have trouble flashing over our software because they will not be flashing areas of the ECU that we use back to stock. This can cause a partial file to be left in the ECU, with our anti-theft security tripped.

Austin@giac

Ready to race!
My personal experience with a GIAC file in "stock mode" is that the anti-piracy protections are still there. I think it's prudent to assume you need the ECU restored to purely stock. This can be done at a VW or GIAC dealer.

Stock mode is just that, a stock mode with all of our additional modes and switching code in the ECU.

Austin@giac

Ready to race!
Been lurking this thread for a while now, I'm happy to see the direction development is going. Also, REALLY happy to see someone with a DSG tune hitting the dyno. It's difficult to see how a F23T stacks up against a K04 on the top end when the dyno graphs get chopped at 6200rpm!

A little bummed at GIAC for dropping the ball on this, but only because I'm already GIAC flashed. The Eurodyne tune will at least offer the same "tuned on 91 octane terribad gas" benefits, so that's still promising!

Keep it up guys!

To be clear, we haven't dropped the ball on anything. We've been given quite a few "dud" test cars that have needed a lot of work. This has transititioned into very inconsistent results when trying to use the files in other test cars. It's a little hard to make a product for you guys when one "test car" makes 23 psi (with a small boost leak) and the next healthy car you flash makes 31 psi. We've had 3 different cars (TFSI and TSI) all with some type of hardware issue. The end result is probably 20-30 different test files, none of which any of you can use, and a ridiculous amount of wasted time on the project.

That said, we've got 2 TSI cars working now and are currently sorting them out.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
@ Austin

I've posted on this thread that we did find an issue with the turbo. That the vent port was blocked not allowing the N75 valve to work properly. That was a HUGE issue and the reason for inconsistent boost. Something that we discovered later as we went through the tuning process with Eurodyne. I guess if you want to call it a "dud" you can. The issue was undetected for a long time by everyone.

This my build thread showing both the good and bad of this process and I've been very upfront with my issues. It's unfortunate that I could not get the car working with GIAC, it's the tune I wanted from the get go but a completely stock base car may have been better for your testing. Most cars are a mix match if parts and at least for my car this option may be better.

As a car guy yourself I can only hope you wish the best for this project because being the first to try something new is always a risk but in the end good for others to learn from good or bad. My car could very well be a "dud" but we find out and we fix. Yay for modding.

Austin@giac

Ready to race!
@ Austin

I've posted on this thread that we did find an issue with the turbo. That the vent port was blocked not allowing the N75 valve to work properly. That was a HUGE issue and the reason for inconsistent boost. Something that we discovered later as we went through the tuning process with Eurodyne. I guess if you want to call it a "dud" you can. The issues was undetected for a long time by everyone.

This my build thread showing both the good and bad of this process and I've been very upfront with my issues. It's unfortunate that I could not get the car working with GIAC, it's the tune I wanted from the get go but a completely stock base car may have been better for your testing. Most cars are a mix match if parts and at least for my car this option may be better.

As a car guy yourself I can only hope you wish the best for this project because being the first to try something new is always a risk but in the end good for others to learn from good or bad. My car could very well be a "dud" but we find out and we fix. Yay for modding.

This wasn't meant to be a direct attack at you, and your issues certainly weren't the only ones we've experienced in the FT development process. We've tested other cars since yours and have had similar issues. I understand that many of these cars have issues, but these are items that absolutely must be sorted prior to tuning the vehicle, else the results on the platform will be inconsistent (as they were). I am very happy to hear that you've gotten your car sorted with the turbo and intercooler connection issues you had in the past. I only wish these could have been done so earlier so that we could've worked with you. I definitely wish you the best on your endeavors.

My posts were simply to clarify why GIAC has not released anything for the Frankenturbo to date.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Trust me. 6 months......I wish I found out these issues earlier too!!!!!!!

But is what it is. I'm really waiting for the GIAC car to come out as well. I need some comparison how my car is running good or bad hahaha. Hoping I'm right where I should be. I do cry a lot about this whole endeavor. But it's usually in the shower to hide my tears.

Austin@giac

Ready to race!
Trust me. 6 months......I wish I found out these issues earlier too!!!!!!!

But is what it is. I'm really waiting for the GIAC car to come out as well. I need some comparison how my car is running good or bad hahaha. Hoping I'm right where I should be. I do cry a lot about this whole endeavor. But it's usually in the shower to hide my tears.

I think I'm drag racing our GTI this weekend if you'd like to tag along. TSI Extreme K04 is going to be incredibly hard to beat. ;)

Avant

Ready to race!