GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aspherical mirrors

Friendly UPS dude dropped 'em off today for me. OEMPLUS had to order them and they were outrageously expensive IMHO ($124 for the set before shipping) but we'll see how they do on the car. Not installing tonight - it's 23 degrees out and we're supposed to get snow flurries later on. But it is allegedly going above freezing later this week so will install then and take more pictures. Anyone have them on prior VW's?

Legohed

Ready to race!
Do they have blue tint? Would love a set of those myself, but don't wanna shell out that price:eek:. Pics please when done...:thumbsup:

Do they have blue tint? Would love a set of those myself, but don't wanna shell out that price:eek:. Pics please when done...:thumbsup:

No, apparently the real OEM ones don't come with a blue tint. A lot of people post that they have that and love it. But I got the real things via OEMPLUS. I'll post pics when installed but how exciting is a picture of a rear view mirror going to be? :p I did throw one up here just for giggles.

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
So these just make your blind spots..less?

And does it still work with the heated mirrors?

zee

Go Kart Champion
Quick question for you since you bought the set....Are the passenger mirrors thesame?

Heated? Yes.

Aspherical? "curved" like the blind spot mirror stick on things or a bubble mirror in a hospital so you can see around the corner. Yes, greatly reduces and/or eliminates blind spots.

Look at picture of front of mirror. Can't really see it that well but the outside section (the black dotted line and outwards from the car when installed) is the aspherical part. Go look at a Saab 9-5 too. Wish more cars in the US had them - they work well!

Matching set? Yes - see other post.

Last edited:
Quick question for you since you bought the set....Are the passenger mirrors thesame?

Yep - they're matching mirrors. Left side is an EU driver's mirror. Right side is an UK driver's mirror. OEMPlus orders one of each and calls it a "set". Then sells it to you for 3 times what it actually costs probably. :mad0259:

koolgreen

Ready to race!
Yep - they're matching mirrors. Left side is an EU driver's mirror. Right side is an UK driver's mirror. OEMPlus orders one of each and calls it a "set". Then sells it to you for 3 times what it actually costs probably. :mad0259:

On many cars the exterior mirrors are not matching opposites.
IE their shapes are not symetrical due to the driver position viewing to the mirror.

IE left driver has a greater angle of incidence. Thus the angle of the housing is different. Some cars have longer mirrors on the passenger side etc.
Not sure what the situation is with the gti.

Legohed

Ready to race!
No, apparently the real OEM ones don't come with a blue tint. A lot of people post that they have that and love it. But I got the real things via OEMPLUS. I'll post pics when installed but how exciting is a picture of a rear view mirror going to be? :p I did throw one up here just for giggles.
Well, actually only wanted pics if they were blue tint:D and fitted to the car. But, yeah, heard that about the real OEM mirrors. Don't care, when I feel flush, gonna get the blue ones anyway:23:. Will prob be on here asking for fitting instructions off you too:thumbsup:

>EDIT< Did you buy them from the OEMPlus site 'cos they look blueish on their pics:

http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_108_109&products_id=847

Well, actually only wanted pics if they were blue tint:D and fitted to the car. But, yeah, heard that about the real OEM mirrors. Don't care, when I feel flush, gonna get the blue ones anyway:23:. Will prob be on here asking for fitting instructions off you too:thumbsup:

>EDIT< Did you buy them from the OEMPlus site 'cos they look blueish on their pics:

http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_108_109&products_id=847

They're from OEMPlus and not blue tinted. From what I can tell, install is the same as the Mk V. Tilt mirror all the way to one side, use a cloth or something to pad the housing and mirror then pry off the mount. Unplug the electrical connections (heating elements) then reverse the process to install the new mirrors. I'll post pics and a DIY when finished. If I break something, I'll send you the bill :lol:

I used a Leatherman and old microfiber scrap I had but really, anything like a pair of pliers (small) will work.

crappy pic but you can see if you tilt the mirror all the way down (or up or to the side probably) you'll make a big enough gap to insert pliers. Use a rag to pad the mirror and your outer housing so you don't scratch anything up. Then insert pliers into the gap and gently pry the mirror loose. It'll pop out without too much pressure then insert fingers and work the rest of the clips loose. You don't have to force anything - the first pop might scare you a little but the rest is easy.

This is probably the only really important picture. The two little wires over to the right are the electrical connectors for the heater elements. Carefully remove the two bayonet plugs from the original mirror then insert them onto the same plugs on the new mirrors. You can also see the plastic clips on the back and you'll see how they line up to attach to the mirror "disc" that moves the mirror around.

Done. No blue tint (these are VAG OEM stuff) and you don't really notice the little dotted line on the outside.

Put everything away and go get one of these. Job should take 10 minutes or less and you have a much wider field of vision with no blind spots. Please note that objects do appear smaller now in BOTH mirrors and that convex mirrors are illegal in the US on the driver's side as original equipment. Aftermarket is up to you. The driver's side (right here in the US) is actually an UK market passenger's wing mirror. Enjoy!

Last edited: