GOLFMKV

recognized1's 2011 GTI Build Thread

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
F-ing RAD! :thumbsup:

Of course my new favorite

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
This past weekend my OEM battery decided it had enough after 3 1/2 years. So I took the opportunity to give my engine a little diet and get a lightweight battery. Thanks to the guidance of Haiiro GTi on deciding which battery and TXBDan's install thread I was successful on making it happen.

I went to Autozone and bought a Duralast Gold relabeled ETX16L Deka battery. As well as charging post for the battery so I can use my existing terminals.

The install was a breeze but too bad my garage didn't have a breeze as I was sweating like a pig. Taking my sweet time it only took about an hour to complete the task.

Here is the OEM battery weight

The Duralast battery weight

18.6 lbs saving

Highlights of the install

Maybe its a placebo effect but I took the car out for a test drive and it just felt very responsive. It could also be because I cleaned my filter the week prior and I haven't driven the car since. Who knows? We will see this fall if it makes a difference on the track.;)

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
I will let you know. I probably won't go back until October due to the temps and humidity being high.

I go to Orlando Speedworld in Bithlo.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Awesome job on the lightweight battery. I almost want to do this Mod now just to drop the LB's on the car :p

Are the advertised specs spot on?

Battery Height: 155 mm - 6 1/8 in
Battery Length: 175 mm - 6 15/16 in
Battery Width: 102 mm - 4 in

I want to get a jump start on the fabrication :character0293:

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
Awesome job on the lightweight battery. I almost want to do this Mod now just to drop the LB's on the car :p

Are the advertised specs spot on?

Battery Height: 155 mm - 6 1/8 in

Battery Length: 175 mm - 6 15/16 in

Battery Width: 102 mm - 4 in

I want to get a jump start on the fabrication :character0293:

Yes, they are spot on.

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
Made my car a little quieter and slower today by installing the 200 cell high flow catalytic converter pictured in the above post.

You can definitely tell the cabin noise level has been reduced so this will make the wife happy. Since she was complaining about the noise and smell from being catless.

The car seems to have its low end grunt back that I felt I lost when completing the exhaust with the Magnaflow system. However, it doesn't seem as powerful when downshifting from 6th to 4th. We will see how it performs on the track later this month.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Nice build man! In for details of your new fastest track time. Saw you post it over in another thread.

I was in Orlando last weekend for Halloween Horror Nights. Saw some cool cars up there, only saw 1 VW though. It was a white MKV slammed on teal wheels.

recognized1

Go Kart Champion
So yesterday I had the pleasure of joining Haiiro GTi as car #111 and break his K03 turbo record with a 12.62 @ 107.54. Here are the time slips of my three runs yesterday.

Slip #1 I broke it by .01 of a sec and trapped a new best @ 109.43 MPH (Also a record)

Slip #2 is the record run

Slip #3 Best 60ft time but I shifted too early from 2nd to 3rd

Here are the official list of mods for these runs.

APR Stage 2 ECU Upgrade (v1.2) on 100 Octane tune
APR Stage 1 DSG Tune
APR Carbonio Stage 1 CAI w/ AEM Dryflow Air Filter
APR Intercooler
Koni Coilovers
Godspeed Downpipe with Mandrel Bend Solutions 200 Cell Cat
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Pipe
Neuspeed Air Charge Pipe
BFI Stage 1 Torque Engine Mount Insert
Audi R8 Coilpacks
Duralast Gold ETX16L Lightweight Battery
Hoosiers 225/45/17 Drag Radials borrowed from Haiiro GTi
Sunoco 260 GT Gas (100 Octane)
Removed Spare Tire and Rear Seats
DA @ 326.59

Special thanks to Haiiro GTi for his guidance and of course his tires! :thumbsup:

I am so proud of my baby

Last edited:

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
That is extremely impressive man, thanks for sharing. I look forward to taking my car to the track one of these days when I get a new clutch. Definitely going on Sunoco 104 octane and some weight reduction.

MattBurgess

Passed Driver's Ed
How are those depo tails? I've been thinking about getting a set of them.