GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zombie Build - 2013 GTI DSG

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Wanted to show off the goodies.

Did the Soundaktor delete today. It was a pain to reach in there. I wasn't sure which tab thingy I was supposed to pull on. I used a long flat head screwdriver to pry it off. I didn't end up zip tying it anywhere. Took it on a test drive and didn't hear it rattling. Also was able to hear more engine/turbo noise and no more fake grumble. I'm very happy.

Replaced the spark plugs. Cleaned the AC system and replaced the cabin air filter. No more nasty smell when I turn on the AC.

Also, as you can see in the picture, I have my SPM downpipe now. It's used so it needed some attention before installation. I used some steel wool and a wire brush to clean and polish it up a bit. Then I used VHT exhaust paint and coated all of it (except the flex pipe). After curing it in my oven the best I can (my oven doesn't go up to 600*), I went about measuring and cutting the reducer pipe in order to make room for my Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. I didn't have any good method of cutting (no plasma cutter, sawzall, chain cutter, etc), so I resorted to a dremel. Not the straightest cuts, but they will work.

Tomorrow I plan on using the DEI Titanium exhaust wrap to wrap up the downpipe sections. After I wrap it, I'll likely assemble a few parts and test fit some things. Install will happen sometime this week/weekend.

My intake should be here on Thursday, so this weekend may be a good wrenching weekend for me.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
As mentioned, I wrapped my downpipe and cat with the DEI Titanium wrap. I installed my Vibrant spacer (post cat, medium jet, front facing) and new exhaust hangar.

I'm ready to install. My intake comes in tomorrow, and I'd like to do both on the same day, so I may have to wait until Saturday when I can spend a full day taking my time wrenching.

After coating, but before wrapping:

After wrapping:

After assembling:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
As mentioned, I wrapped my downpipe and cat with the DEI Titanium wrap. I installed my Vibrant spacer (post cat, medium jet, front facing) and new exhaust hangar.

I'm ready to install. My intake comes in tomorrow, and I'd like to do both on the same day, so I may have to wait until Saturday when I can spend a full day taking my time wrenching.

After coating, but before wrapping:

After wrapping:

After assembling:

Looks good! How many feet of wrap did you end up using?

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Looks good! How many feet of wrap did you end up using?

I don't know how many feet I used, but I probably used about 60-70% of the wrap. But I wasted a little bit with a bad cut. You can also see that I was a little short on last pipe.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
I finally got the Integrated Engineering intake and my SPM downpipe on the car. The intake job took me a good two hours of work whereas the downpipe took about four.

Post install, the intake is pretty loud (but I've also removed the hood heat insulation and the rubber weather stripping. I think it helps flow air out of the engine bay, but noises can be heard more too. I might end up putting the insulation pad back on the hood. I like the sounds, but they may not pass the "wife" test.

With the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator on my downpipe, it sounds stock from inside the cabin (which is what I wanted). Even at WOT, I can't hear any increase in exhaust noise. But I sure can still hear the turbo and intake.

Integrated Engineering also hooked me up with some cool swag, so I through an IE badge on the back of my car. I've worked with three different people at IE, and I have to say, their customer service is unrivaled! I've always heard they had quality products (which they do), but I'm a sold customer on IE now.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
For as long as I've had the car, I've gone back and forth between APR and Cobb for my tune. I was pretty committed to APR and had picked out the dealer I was going to use. And in the process of saving money, I started to dig more into the problems they've had with their 2.0+ tunes. This became an even bigger problem for me because it seems DSGs were hit the hardest. I've also been following the thread about how APR had a guy's ECU for a few weeks and refused to communicate and now the guy's ECU is fried and APR has left them out in the cold.

So all of this convinced me to go with Cobb. I bought my Cobb Accessport v3 from Justin at Freektune. As a benefit for buying the AP from him, he will throw in one free custom map. Also, if you buy an e-tune package when you buy the AP, he also only charges $100 for the e-tune package. So I bought the e-tune package as well.

The AP should have shipped or will ship soon. He's already emailed me a custom map to flash as soon as I get the AP.

I'm stoked to get the tuning process going and getting the tune dialed in.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
I got my Cobb AP today and flashed my Freektune map. The process went super smooth and took about 10 minutes or so. I don't think I'll ever end up even trying the Cobb OTS tunes.

Per my instructions from Justin at Freektune, I drove around for 30+ miles. Tomorrow I'll do some data logging and send him the files to dial in the tune a bit more.

My initial impressions were, "Holy crap?" It pulls so much harder and is very effortless. I didn't push it too hard, but it was just so easy to do speed up. I love it and can't wait to dial it in even more and squeeze some more power out of it. In my first 30 miles, I haven't noticed any issues with the tune.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I bought my Cobb Accessport v3 from Justin at Freektune. As a benefit for buying the AP from him, he will throw in one free custom map. Also, if you buy an e-tune package when you buy the AP, he also only charges $100 for the e-tune package. So I bought the e-tune package as well.

The AP should have shipped or will ship soon. He's already emailed me a custom map to flash as soon as I get the AP.

I'm stoked to get the tuning process going and getting the tune dialed in.

the freektune package is super awesome if youre gonna go the custom tune route. Im going to do the same if i end up keeping the car cause I want to go Frankenturbo.

My initial impressions were, "Holy crap?" It pulls so much harder and is very effortless. I didn't push it too hard, but it was just so easy to do speed up. I love it and can't wait to dial it in even more and squeeze some more power out of it. In my first 30 miles, I haven't noticed any issues with the tune.

SICK dude

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
the freektune package is super awesome if youre gonna go the custom tune route. Im going to do the same if i end up keeping the car cause I want to go Frankenturbo.

SICK dude

I'm super pleased with Justin's work so far. And if I ever get to the point where I want to upgrade the actual turbo, it will be a Frankenturbo.

Thanks!

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Looks like you have a solid build going! I really want to drive a DSG just to see what it's like. I'm a die hard manual fan, but it seems there are just as many fans of the DSG out there. Plus you don't need a clutch replacement after having a tune on a stock turbo!

I hope you do go Frankenturbo eventually. I'd love to see the transformation.

Are you happy with the switch from JDM to Euro? Or from N/A to boost?

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Looks like you have a solid build going! I really want to drive a DSG just to see what it's like. I'm a die hard manual fan, but it seems there are just as many fans of the DSG out there. Plus you don't need a clutch replacement after having a tune on a stock turbo!

I hope you do go Frankenturbo eventually. I'd love to see the transformation.

Are you happy with the switch from JDM to Euro? Or from N/A to boost?

Thanks man. I had to go DSG in order for my wife to approve the purchase. And there aren't too many boosted automatic transmission cars. My first choice was actually a Mazdaspeed 3, but that is manual only.

A Frankenturbo would be fun, but at this point it might be a stretch. If I got to the point where I was ready to get a bigger turbo, I think I'd probably just look to buy a Golf R or something.

As for the switch to EUDM, it's been good overall, but I can't say I like one over the other. I felt like JDM cars were much more simple and easy to work on. The GTI seems a little more finicky, but still fun. The switch to boost is awesome. No regrets!

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man. I had to go DSG in order for my wife to approve the purchase. And there aren't too many boosted automatic transmission cars. My first choice was actually a Mazdaspeed 3, but that is manual only.

A Frankenturbo would be fun, but at this point it might be a stretch. If I got to the point where I was ready to get a bigger turbo, I think I'd probably just look to buy a Golf R or something.

As for the switch to EUDM, it's been good overall, but I can't say I like one over the other. I felt like JDM cars were much more simple and easy to work on. The GTI seems a little more finicky, but still fun. The switch to boost is awesome. No regrets!

I also bought my GTI due to the dependency on fun in an automatic transmission. The Frankenturbo is a great upgrade and more fun to drive than a stick Golf R IMO but I certainly get the idea of just buying what you want out of the box :) I'm sure the FreekTuned IHI will keep you plenty happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
I also bought my GTI due to the dependency on fun in an automatic transmission. The Frankenturbo is a great upgrade and more fun to drive than a stick Golf R IMO but I certainly get the idea of just buying what you want out of the box :) I'm sure the FreekTuned IHI will keep you plenty happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome. The franken might be a bit of a pipe dream for me. But we'll see. I've only had the car for a couple of months and plan on having it for many years. So who knows!

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!

Ooh well I won't argue that any further haha. At least it's a good automatic transmission to go with. I heavily considered a Mazdaspeed 3 when looking at cars a few months ago. Along with a Miata or Mini Cooper.

Yeah I feel you. A K04/Frankenturbo still seems "logical" to me, a Stage 3 w/GTX on a FWD doesn't. I would most likely get a Golf R at that point too, or at least something with RWD.

I think it's good to appreciate multiple styles/markets of cars. I'm glad you are enjoying the boost though! It's hard to go back to N/A after it. I still like big V8 muscle cars, but at the end of the day I have more fun DDing a boosted car. That, or I haven't had the right V8 car lol.