GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group Buy: Depo R LED Taillights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-Ball

not really a gti
Looking really nice! Are you around Jersey City? Where do you get your car wash? I either do it myself or call my detail guy.

Thanks! No I'm in the Clifton area. I have a little hole in the wall place that I trust to clean it when I cant do it myself.

pyromaniac3303

Passed Driver's Ed
I got these earlier this week! Been lazy on posting pics. Install was a breeze, although I can't seem to get the passenger inner light aligned. I took it out and reinstalled it a few times. Any suggestions? Sorry about the phone quality photos.

OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
I got these earlier this week! Been lazy on posting pics. Install was a breeze, although I can't seem to get the passenger inner light aligned. I took it out and reinstalled it a few times. Any suggestions? Sorry about the phone quality photos.

Let me know where your alignment issues are. I've been able to walk everyone through the steps. Every car is different. Male sure you first try to adjust the two torx screw on the outer, this is the two tiny holes when you open the hatch. It a T10 torx. This can raise or drop the outer to match inner.

After that, adjust the runner bumper on the hatch door one click at a time. This will give 1-2mm a click.

pyromaniac3303

Passed Driver's Ed
Let me know where your alignment issues are. I've been able to walk everyone through the steps. Every car is different. Male sure you first try to adjust the two torx screw on the outer, this is the two tiny holes when you open the hatch. It a T10 torx. This can raise or drop the outer to match inner.

After that, adjust the runner bumper on the hatch door one click at a time. This will give 1-2mm a click.

The top right of the passenger inner light seems like it's too far out. I can push on it and it'll move into place. Where is the runner bumper you mentioned?

Edit: I think you meant rubber bumper. I don't think that will have any effect since it's the light on the hatch itself. Also, when i put on the part that is sticking out it makes the opposite end of the light come up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled that light a few times to no success.

Last edited:

OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
The top right of the passenger inner light seems like it's too far out. I can push on it and it'll move into place. Where is the runner bumper you mentioned?

Edit: I think you meant rubber bumper. I don't think that will have any effect since it's the light on the hatch itself. Also, when i put on the part that is sticking out it makes the opposite end of the light come up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled that light a few times to no success.

Here are a few tips that should get your sorted out.

1. When you push on the light housing, push the entire light in, and attempt to snug the two nuts on the inner. This will ensure the gasket is compressed, make sure nothing is in the way.
  2. View my attachment, the rubber bumper is similar to the bump stops to align your hood, except it does it for your hatch. These will align your hatch. There is an allen in the center you have to pull out then you can push it in or pull it out. ECS shows how to do this with their hatch pop kit.
  3. I think this will fix: When you open the hatch, you should see two tiny holes on your outer light. (both sides) There is a T10 torx inside those holes on the outer. The top one, twist to the right all the way. You should see the top of light push out. The bottom one, twist to the left all the way. This will drop the bottom. Your OEM lights have this as well. Doing this will level them out so they sit flush.
You should be within 1-2 mm of flush after these adjustments.

Attachments

• Rubber Bump Stop.jpg
    Rubber Bump Stop.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,216
  • Light adjuster.jpg
    Light adjuster.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,177

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
I believe most LED lights do this due to the light reflection and the light diffusing through the lens. A standard incandescent bulb produces 200-300 lumens from a 16W bulb. (1) 4W LED emits about 450 lumens, then multiply by 12 (for your outer) and the light being diffused is a lot more intense.
Normally you wouldn't notice this if it was a clear lens, yet Red is used because red light does not cause the eye to dilate like white light and the way it diffuses light. Therefore why its not just Red LED's in a clear lens.

Also, you see the outline of lights on the lens because LED's are a focused, directional light compared to incandescent. Take a light bulb in the middle of a room and it will light almost 360 degree, an LED will only light in the direction it is pointed at. Therefore you get the beam through the lens in the same pattern as LED placement in the housing.

Hope that makes sense.

great, thanks for the reply. do the oem ones do this?

Luna

Passed Driver's Ed
Received mine today and installed. Overall they look really nice! I didn't install the black resistors, will try and Vcd code. One thing I was a little disappointed on was the two outer lights, they were a bit scuffed up. Will try to buff it out later. Pictures to come. Anyone else lights came scuffed up?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Seems mine are stuck somewhere under a snowdrift in Indiana, along with my triple-square bits that I ordered from Amazon.

OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Received mine today and installed. Overall they look really nice! I didn't install the black resistors, will try and Vcd code. One thing I was a little disappointed on was the two outer lights, they were a bit scuffed up. Will try to buff it out later. Pictures to come. Anyone else lights came scuffed up?

Luna,

I am so sorry your had this, I had one local member who had a scratch in his. I traded him out and used 1000 grit sand paper then 1500 grit then I used 3m Scratch Remover. Every car owner should have a bottle of this, especially for those door dings.

You shouldn't need sand paper but use some plexi glass cleaner or scratch remover like such. I use this on headlights:

Im going to PM you now.

67Scarelane

Ready to race!
Finally got mine installed tonight. Quality is pretty good and the fit is good as well. I probably need to do a bit of tweaking tomorrow.

Sorry for the cruddy phone pic.

Luna

Passed Driver's Ed
Luna,

I am so sorry your had this, I had one local member who had a scratch in his. I traded him out and used 1000 grit sand paper then 1500 grit then I used 3m Scratch Remover. Every car owner should have a bottle of this, especially for those door dings.

You shouldn't need sand paper but use some plexi glass cleaner or scratch remover like such. I use this on headlights:

Im going to PM you now.

Thanks for your replied and thanks for setting up this group buy. So far I'm loving how these lights look.

Re: scruff marks, the scruff marks were cause by not having any protection on the lens during transit, not your fault. I will try your suggestion on the 3m scratch remover.

Installation:
The fitting was great, didn't have to shave off any parts. There were white plastic hanging on the edges but i was able to scratch most of it off with my nails. Also, I was able to install the lights without the black resistor boxes on my 2011 golf tdi with coding 18 byte to 1F (had to manually type it in, wasn't on the drop down menu).

Thank you again! Will post some picture later today.

Luna

Passed Driver's Ed
The installation

Sorry for the photo quality.

Attachments

• image-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 516
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 445
  • image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 428
  • image-3.jpeg
    image-3.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 447
  • image-6.jpeg
    image-6.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 441
  • image-8.jpeg
    image-8.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 466
  • image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 456

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Are the resistor boxes removable so I can just do the regular VagCom coding? Does this involve cutting anything off or are they just clipped on? How hot does the resistor get? Has anyone had any problems with leaking on these tails?

Status
Not open for further replies.