GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR for Mk6 in NE Ohio?

quarky1

So I went to ECS Tuning today to get Stage 1, as I'd been assured they could do it. An hour and some later, they tell me they can't. So I call APR and I'm told to just have them call him, and he'll walk them through it. ECS says they'd rather not "risk it", and send me on my way. With a full refund, so only out the time. They were nice enough about it.

All that said, I'm looking for some place within about 4 hrs I'd say. Anybody know of a shop in the area that's doing them? Thanks.

zee

Go Kart Champion
They probably felt they will rather not risk it because the ECU has to be pulled from the car to update the software. True software flash using the OBD port (like in the MK5) is not yet available because of VW's new security lockout for the port.

The ECU casing bolts have to be broken, the ECU removed, ECU flashed with the tuning software and restored back in the casing. Brand new casing bolts re-installed after the flash with silicone seal to top it off. If this process is not followed, your dealer will find out that your ECU has been tampered with.

If your dealer loads one of VW's ECU updates, this process will have to be repeated again...unless the security lockout is somehow bypassed in the near future.

quarky1

gotcha. I knew it had to be removed, but I didn't realize there was that much work involved. Should this just be moved to the Stage 1 Sale thread? Not sure if I posted in the right place.

Bump on MK6-capable APR dealers?

eyerolleddapiece1

Passed Driver's Ed
gotcha. I knew it had to be removed, but I didn't realize there was that much work involved. Should this just be moved to the Stage 1 Sale thread? Not sure if I posted in the right place.

Bump on MK6-capable APR dealers?

look up...we posted at the same time. :23:

zee

Go Kart Champion
Did they get as far as removing the ECU? OR they just scanned the car.

It is not too complicated, but care has to be taken to make the install look stealth to VW. Your VW dealer might or might not care, but you dont want to have to worry about it.

The new casing bolts are not part of the upgrade package and are not really needed. Installers probably do not keep them in stock either, but a good installer who wants to do a clean install should not have an issue replace them as the bolts should be cheap.