GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

shift indicator

mfl

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had my GTI, now for about 5 weeks (and 3000kms). In the first couple of weeks, I followed the prompts, but thought I was upshifting too soon. 6th gear at 60km/h (38mph) seemed a bit too slow, although with the torque the engine has it wasn't sounding too strained.

Now I just ignore it and enjoy the engine note and gearbox.

TDI110

O_o
where is the upshift indicator? manual transmissions? never noticed it...

Located at the top right of the MFI. I don't know what specific option you need to have the shift indicator. I don't have one, but the car I test drove did, the only difference between mine and that one was NAV.

ExplodingBrain

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the upshift indicator on my 1986 GTI. It optimized for fuel economy, which meant I would be driving around at 1800rpm all the time if I paid attention. After the first week in the car I just ignored it completely.

Blackfish

I'm breaking in my new GTI and I'm trying to use the shift indicator. Makes you shift when you hit 2000RPM! Crazy :0
Sure does drop the average for the fuel usage though. Good to know.

Speaking of the consumption indicator, I like how the MFD shows you per trip information, but would like to have another page showing lifetime averages.

lawgdawg

Ready to race!
I agree with the lifetime deal. My brothers Ford Sport-Trac has that, it's quite interesting.

Blackfish

I'm breaking in my new GTI and I'm trying to use the shift indicator. Makes you shift when you hit 2000RPM! Crazy :0
Sure does drop the average for the fuel usage though. Good to know.

Speaking of the consumption indicator, I like how the MFD shows you per trip information, but would like to have another page showing lifetime averages.

Huh...Ok, driving back from lunch, in the Ave Consumption page I hit the OK button on the wheel. The little 1 in the top right corner of the MFD page changed to 2 and it shows a different ave. I don't recall seeing this, but I assume it's a lifetime average vs trip?
Average speed page has the same thing.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
correct - you can reset the 2 screen by holding the arrow button/enter button IIRC. Your dealer probably should have shown you this ;)

Marvin

Ready to race!
correct - you can reset the 2 screen by holding the arrow button/enter button IIRC. Your dealer probably should have shown you this ;)

Unfortunately memory 2 isn't a lifetime record as it zeroes itself after so many miles/kms or litre/galls of fuel, according to the UK manual, anyway.