GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How difficult is it to replace the stock speakers?

NavinRJohnson1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got a 2010 GTI and am wondering, can I just easily "drop in" two new sets of component speakers to replace the terrible factory speakers? I'm not interested in spending a full day ripping things apart, retrofitting, etc. How difficult will it be? Is there a DIY guide? I think I remember reading on this forum that replacing the stock VW speakers with something better is not for the faint of heart and actually a fairly involved process. Or maybe that was talking about adding an amp and/or new head unit.

As for speakers themselves, I know there are quite a few options out there. I'm partial to quality products from JL, Focal and such. However, Crutchfield says the Kicker Kicker KS6.2 fits both the front and rear in the 2010 GTI. They're also relatively inexpensive. Any recommendations?

NavinRJohnson1

Passed Driver's Ed
To mount new component tweeters in the MK6, Crutchfield says I'll need to "custom-mount the tweeters and crossovers, which usually requires drilling and running new wires".

That doesn't sound fun. Does anyone know if that's true?

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
To mount new component tweeters in the MK6, Crutchfield says I'll need to "custom-mount the tweeters and crossovers, which usually requires drilling and running new wires".

That doesn't sound fun. Does anyone know if that's true?
it's probably true; i can't speak from experience on the GTI, but am interested in the answer to this Q; normally if you get components to replace components, you can't just srop them in place, since there's different crossover setups etc... i haven't researched this myself yet tho...

watching the thread...

NavinRJohnson1

Passed Driver's Ed
it's probably true; i can't speak from experience on the GTI, but am interested in the answer to this Q; normally if you get components to replace components, you can't just srop them in place, since there's different crossover setups etc... i haven't researched this myself yet tho...

watching the thread...

With all the chatter on this forum about upgrading speakers and such, I'm surprised not to have found a simple description of what's involved in just replacing the speakers. And at best, a DIY guide.

I do understand the complexities of adding an amp and running all the wires to it and then back to new components speakers, but I'm just looking to use the stock RCD-510. Was hoping I could just mount the new mid/bass via an adapter (Crutchfield includes an adapter supposedly), but replacing that factory tweeter sounds like a pain. And can I use the existing speaker wire that goes to the tweeter? All unknowns. Hope someone can shed some light on all this.

Aigoo

Ready to race!
that crutchfield warning is just a generic warning they say about all components... at least i think it is.

Most people said that aftermarket tweeters usually fit in the stock location without much hassle, though of course ymmv.

The woofer component seems to be the most troublesome, depending on the size of it. Usually requires some sort of custom spacer.

P

plac

speakers... not super hard. probably riveted in.. but wires... a huge pain in the ass.. especially if you want all new wires and have to drill out your molex connecter in your door loom.

Goobax

Ready to race!
Your door speakers will be riveted in but it's a fairly simple process to remove them. Just drill them out with the right sized drill bit and they come right out. The tweeters are extremely easy to mount in the OEM location and they are held in place only by some type of epoxy that separates with a small flat head screwdriver. You can keep the crossovers and all wiring behind the door panel and just tap into the factory locations. If you aren't running an amplifier you wont need to run any new wires. You can either re-epoxy the new tweeters in the oem location or if you are like me and want to keep it simple, the rubber padding that is already there will provide plenty of support once you install the triangle back in place. Just be sure you set the triangle holding the tweeter and THEN the door panel and not the other way around. The hardest part of the entire install is popping the door panel out. Those are in there, REALLY in there. I found it easier to remove the reflector at the bottom and use that as a gripping point.

If you are still stuck just let me know and I can walk you through it or I can take some pictures this weekend if need be.

Antonio Monteiro

Ready to race!
My friend replace the factory speakers on his VW CC, he told me it wasn't an easy to do, I did not see process being done, but at the end he is very happy with his new sound system... But I can tell you that factory speakers, they are very cheap quality, but I'm not surprise because at the end we only have mid 20's on the value of the vehicle.

scooby1

Your door speakers will be riveted in but it's a fairly simple process to remove them. Just drill them out with the right sized drill bit and they come right out. The tweeters are extremely easy to mount in the OEM location and they are held in place only by some type of epoxy that separates with a small flat head screwdriver. You can keep the crossovers and all wiring behind the door panel and just tap into the factory locations. If you aren't running an amplifier you wont need to run any new wires. You can either re-epoxy the new tweeters in the oem location or if you are like me and want to keep it simple, the rubber padding that is already there will provide plenty of support once you install the triangle back in place. Just be sure you set the triangle holding the tweeter and THEN the door panel and not the other way around. The hardest part of the entire install is popping the door panel out. Those are in there, REALLY in there. I found it easier to remove the reflector at the bottom and use that as a gripping point.

If you are still stuck just let me know and I can walk you through it or I can take some pictures this weekend if need be.

Agreed, i found the replace the speakers and tweeters fairly simple, all of them 6.5inch, i have a set of Focal K3P in atm with all the wires replaced. note you would need about 35mm spacers, i have 36mm atm and they are a tight fit, planning to cut them down a bit by end of the week, will post pics if interested