GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR vs ...

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Iwas going to get the APR STage 1 ECU chip upgrade for my 2010 GTI. But before I spring loose all that cash, I must ask these quesitons:

Who else is as good or better? Are they the best deal for the money? What else is a common upgrade to a 2010 GTI 2.0T besides the ECU upgrade, that is fairly easy and economical?

siagolf

Ready to race!
best bang for buck and instantly noticeable is the stage 1 -- especially with the sale that APR's currently having! after that, i'd definitely add the carbonio stage 1 intake as the gains from adding the intake to the stage 1 flash are noticeable. i can't comment on other ecu options out there as i do not have first-hand experience with them, but speaking on my experience with the apr flash, you will definitely be impressed!

from there, and if you're looking for more, there's intercoolers (s3/tt-s, apr, forge etc.), water-meth, downpipe/tbe+stage 2 etc. etc.

Antero128

Ready to race!
Cant really speak very much for other compaines but I do have the APR Stage 1 flash and for the money is the best bang for the buck.

Another reason why I would recommend APR to anybody is their customer service. So far they have answered all my questions. There is nothing worse then bad customer service when it comes to car issues. I am having a problem with my APR intake and so far Arin has been quick to answer all my questions and concerns. Because of this I will be an APR customer for the foreseeable future.

omerkm11

Ready to race!
I have had great luck with GIAC. The flash is awesome power, increased mileage and Austin at GIAC has been great at answering my questions and asking for feedback.

waffleman

Ready to race!
Cant really speak very much for other compaines but I do have the APR Stage 1 flash and for the money is the best bang for the buck.

Not to be a jack @ss, but how can you say it's the "best bang for the buck" if you are not familiar with what other companies offer?

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Not to be a jack @ss, but how can you say it's the "best bang for the buck" if you are not familiar with what other companies offer?

Because right now it's more programs and features than the competition for about the same price? (Giac is 549 with 2 programs right now, APR is 599 for 4 programs + fault reset + throttle body align + antitheft)

Carbon Blir

Ready to race!
Oh when do you put in 100 octane????? i havent and dont plan on it.....
i could have but there is really no need.
you get 91 and 93 but depending on where you live you would use 1 or the other (i.e Cali only has 91)

so you get stock.. realy 91 or 93 as most areas have 1 or the other... 100 which most never would use and all that said from 91 to 100 oct you are talking a few HP.

now APR vs GIAC is like asking Bud vs Miller or Ford vs Chevy
this is all preferance... i have GIAC and Austin is really cool and helpful... no comment on APR (dont want to be mean)

now most power for the buck is GIAC as you stated is $50 cheaper and has more HP

Everyone goes APR cause they are the big guy...

sweetsandman

Ready to race!
Oh when do you put in 100 octane????? i havent and dont plan on it.....
i could have but there is really no need.
you get 91 and 93 but depending on where you live you would use 1 or the other (i.e Cali only has 91)

so you get stock.. realy 91 or 93 as most areas have 1 or the other... 100 which most never would use and all that said from 91 to 100 oct you are talking a few HP.

now APR vs GIAC is like asking Bud vs Miller or Ford vs Chevy
this is all preferance... i have GIAC and Austin is really cool and helpful... no comment on APR (dont want to be mean)

now most power for the buck is GIAC as you stated is $50 cheaper and has more HP

Everyone goes APR cause they are the big guy...

Not trying to start a power war...but do you by chance have any links to some hard proof that GIAC makes more power? I've looked high and low on all sorts of different forums and haven't really seen any substantial evidence proving one greater than the other.

Antero128

Ready to race!

I meant to say best bang for the buck in terms of what you can do to your car for the price. Simmer down bro. Im not saying the other tuners are bad.

Antero128

Ready to race!
Not trying to start a power war...but do you by chance have any links to some hard proof that GIAC makes more power? I've looked high and low on all sorts of different forums and haven't really seen any substantial evidence proving one greater than the other.

I think at the end of the day a Stage 1 setup from tuner A and a Stage 1 from tuner B are going to be pretty darn close. Its not like you are going to get 30HP more from one tuner. :thumbup:

sweetsandman

Ready to race!
I think at the end of the day a Stage 1 setup from tuner A and a Stage 1 from tuner B are going to be pretty darn close. Its not like you are going to get 30HP more from one tuner. :thumbup:

I figured that would be the case I mean there's only so much you can lean these things out before bad things happen and from what I have seen they all run roughly the same AFRs (revo actually seems to be the leanest) and run similar timing advances with GIAC having a big more in the mid range IIRC but don't quote me on that I'd have to go back and look...

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Who else is as good or better? Are they the best deal for the money? What else is a common upgrade to a 2010 GTI 2.0T besides the ECU upgrade, that is fairly easy and economical?

If you go with APR right now it's on sale. $599 for a fully loaded ECU or $549 if you want only a single program.

A Fully Loded ECU means Your Choice of 4 of the Following Programs:
– Stock Mode :: Exact Original Mapping and Performance
– 91 Octane Performance
– 93 Octane Performance
– 100 Octane Performance
– Valet Mode :: Limits RPMs and Power Output

Also Included:
– Program Switch :: Ability to switch between programs and options w/o extra hardware.
– Fault Code Erase :: Erases Fault ECU Fault Codes
– Security Lockout :: Locks Advanced Functionality of Cruise Control, Password Protected
– Anti-Theft :: Disables Throttle to Render Vehicle Inoperable, Password Protected

Now, what else you may want to consider is we produce both the software and the hardware. We setup full stages for your car which are all tested and perfected in house to ensure our software matches the hardware. No mixing and matching needed, we've laid it all out for you. We offer these upgrades for FREE if you are keeping the stock turbo. No one else in the industry is doing this. Essentially we have software and hardware for everything (within reason... no quad turbo twin engine 2.0T setups. :D) you may want to do.

If you want to just run stock hardware, or maybe add the intake and/or catback exhaust, get our stage 1 software. If you want to add a high flow exhaust, get our stage 2 software. If you wanted to go fully catless, you could remove the catalytic converter (for off road use) and grab out testpipe file which will ensure you get no check engine lights for the catalyst. If you later decide to add the intercooler, you can add it at any time w/o the need to alter your software. The lower intake air temperatures will call for more advanced timing for longer turbo life and more power.

Later down the road you may look at a bigger turbo upgrade. We have software for turbo kits already that include every part you need and we are looking to expand our current turbocharger upgrade route to include possibly smaller and bigger options.

Lastly, we race the MK6 GTI in the 2010 Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. We have a ton of 2.0 TSI engines ready to go though brutal abuse. That abuse directly translates into us pushing the limits of the stock engine to find the weak points for you, so you never need to do it on your own. We get to play with fuel saving techniques and really dig into the code to extract every possible horsepower and MPG w/o pushing anything over the safety threshold. Result? Better software updates down the road, which are always FREE.

2010 looks like it will be a great year for this engine. We have a lot in store and this is just the beginning! I'm confident you will not be disappointed if you choose APR.

:thumbsup:

artinmoTTion

Passed Driver's Ed
A big fan of the mkvi GTI APR stage I software here, and in general, no matter which company you choose for software, a stage I upgrade on the mkvi GTI is going to be, by far, your best "bang for the buck". I've had many different "chips" on VAG cars now, from different companies, and I can quite honestly say the APR stage I upgrade for this car is the most driveable, powerband perfecting software I've used. Far superior even to their past software I've used in other cars. That's not a dig on anyone else's mkvi software, as I've only driven the APR, but it leaves me absolutely no reason to look elsewhere.

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Well, yesteday at 3P C/T, I drove away from Grapevine and Import Car Center and with Bret, back to Plano on the new APR EMCS Stage I chip upgrade. So far I like it, but haven't had the time to "Really" drive it if you know what I mean. I think it was a very good deal for the money in comparison to the other products at this time.