GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**BEWARE** - Auto tailgate opening

nbturbos

Passed Driver's Ed
I just did mine, and THEN read this thread. I'm going to check up on it constantly and make sure nothing rubs, and if it does perhaps try to find a solution. If nothing works to keep it from rubbing I'll put it back to stock....no big deal. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HwXgakt8yI

Glennmax

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the video.
Can you upload a video of you closing the hatch?
How much more force is required to close it?

nbturbos

Passed Driver's Ed
Video? Grab it and push down lol. I barely noticed a difference in it being more difficult to close actually. I thought it would be more noticeable, but it really isn't IMO.

Glennmax

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like you are saying you have to push on the outside of the hatch to close it.
Remember when it was stock and you could throw the hatch closed with the inner handle only?
I personally like this stock feature.

Enjoy your new mod. :)

Auto open AND close would be very cool. More $$ for sure.

Glennmax

Passed Driver's Ed
Turning the mounts is essential to the mod.

When the mounts are turned, (moving the pivot-point into the car) the struts initially push outwards more than when they are not turned.

If the mounts are not turned (stock position) the struts push downward along the length of the hatch and not outward.
When you lift or move the hatch towards open the struts take over and lift it for you.

Take some time to examine this mechanical system and my explanation will make more sense.

zpeedoz

Turning the mounts is essential to the mod.

When the mounts are turned, (moving the pivot-point into the car) the struts initially push outwards more than when they are not turned.

If the mounts are not turned (stock position) the struts push downward along the length of the hatch and not outward.
When you lift or move the hatch towards open the struts take over and lift it for you.

Take some time to examine this mechanical system and my explanation will make more sense.

Thank you for your advise

I have turned the mounts and now i POPs fine

Cheers again

Orient Express

Ready to race!
How to mitigate the rubbing of the struts

If you have an issue with the struts rubbing on the body work, simply place a strip of either 3M Paint Protection film on the inside of the bodywork where the rubbing occurs or a piece of felt self-adhesive tape in that area. Both will stop the paint rubbing.

I placed the 3M film on both the body and the strut, and do not have the issue.

dstill

Ready to race!
If you have an issue with the struts rubbing on the body work, simply place a strip of either 3M Paint Protection film on the inside of the bodywork where the rubbing occurs or a piece of felt self-adhesive tape in that area. Both will stop the paint rubbing.

I placed the 3M film on both the body and the strut, and do not have the issue.

But surely this will rub through the tape eventually as you are effectively making the gap even smaller.:confused:

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
What's the part number for the spring loaded hatch bumpers?

I wanna shave my hatch soon, so I'm figuring out everything to make it still "pop-able"...

heartcoke

Ready to race!
You can order the kit off ECS just to be safe to make sure nothing rubs.