View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #7
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidopolis View Post
I'm in Ohio and I ran 16" steelies with Blizzaks and my 2010 GTI was pretty good in the snow. I also ran Michelin AS/3's on Detroits and they were definitely not as well behaved... The AS3s were much better in dry than the blizzaks. but in snow the blizzaks were great. On my M3 I ran the Continental DWSs and they were pretty good overall, but I switched the blizzaks as the M3 needed snow tires being a rear wheel drive monster...

It sounds to me like you could get away with a good all season tire (possibly a dedicated winter). Something that is going to handle some snowy conditions and cold weather, but still needs to deal with the other days when there isn't 12 inches falling.

I like Tirerack's testing typically... and Tirerack likes Continental DWS's in their tests (they have rated them high for all season tires for quite a few years now).
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=201

GL.
Thanks for the advice, trying to get away with the all seasons has definitely crossed my mind, multiple times, but if I try to do that (and it works) I have no real incentive to get a new set of summer wheels in the spring Having the extra safety would probably feel a little more comfortable too, especially since the tires aren't exactly brand new either.

decisions must be made, and soon. The snow is creeping down the mountains
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote