GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

pot hole horrors

opTIMistic

so about a week ago i hit a pot hold and guess what happened?

no, i didnt bend the rim.

no, i didnt blow a tire.

instead i managed to DESTROY THE FRONT LEFT WHEEL BEARING. seriously. is anyone familiar with something like this happening? $700 later to get it fixed, im obviously not psyched. and since it was a state road, probably no way to get it covered by either insurance or by the state. would much rather have spent that money on an APR stage 1 tune or something. sucks.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Sucks man.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
700.00 for a wheel bearing job,you are getting ripped off BIG TIME

2 hours in labor ,lets say 100.00 hour that 200.00

Bearing with hub 200.00 = 400.00 total give or take alittle but no more then 425.00

opTIMistic

700.00 for a wheel bearing job,you are getting ripped off BIG TIME

2 hours in labor ,lets say 100.00 hour that 200.00

Bearing with hub 200.00 = 400.00 total give or take alittle but no more then 425.00

had to get an alignment too. so then the question is should i go back to that dealership or not?

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
had to get an alignment too. so then the question is should i go back to that dealership or not?

Alignment 90.00

Go back to that dealer?????? if it was me HELL NO

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
A pair of bearings should be around 30-40$. Takes about 30min MAX, to change one of them.

Max $$ you should have payed is about 100, 120 IMO. But reasonable would be around 60$

HatchFanatic06

Ready to race!

+

+

=

Profit

Sucks to hear this, this is why im a big advocate of trying to fix minor things on your own. Hopefully everything is good to go now?

opTIMistic

sucks filthy asshole. how fast were you going?

it was on the highway. was cruising at about 70 miles an hour.

@HatchFanatic06 definitely want to start doing my own work after this. any good starter manuals or suggestions on how to get started on this sort of thing?

HatchFanatic06

Ready to race!
it was on the highway. was cruising at about 70 miles an hour.

@HatchFanatic06 definitely want to start doing my own work after this. any good starter manuals or suggestions on how to get started on this sort of thing?

Unfortunately there is no Bentley manual for our cars yet as i believe they usually have a 3 year turn around something to do with warranties etc. But there are a ton of DIYs between here and vwvortex.com. And the beauty of our vehicles is alot of the MK5 DIY (atleast suspension wise) apply to ours. I personally started collecting tools and buying them as needed. I have a big advantage as i have a garage with 4 point lift i rent out for very cheap (military auto hobby shop). I personally recommend if you have little mechanical experience start small.

You would be surprised at how something like a coil-over install which in reading seems complicated, but in application is rather easy. Before this car i had never turned a wrench on any of my vehicles, just for the fear of messing something up. (I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade but its much easier working on something where mishaps *which happen* do not come out of your pocket.) However I've installed every single one of my mods and it has probably saved me over $1000 (mostly so high because Great Britain Pound to USD conversion rapes me pretty bad.) And I'm sure everyone who is like me on this forum will tell you that its 100x more rewarding turning wrenches on your own car, especially over joe schmo who shows up to a meet with 100 different modifications and couldn't tell you for the life of him how they were installed. I'm going off on a tangent but anyways I'm a firm believer of turning wrenches on your own vehicle is all part of the fun.

opTIMistic

And I'm sure everyone who is like me on this forum will tell you that its 100x more rewarding turning wrenches on your own car, especially over joe schmo who shows up to a meet with 100 different modifications and couldn't tell you for the life of him how they were installed. I'm going off on a tangent but anyways I'm a firm believer of turning wrenches on your own vehicle is all part of the fun.

excellent advice. i plan on heeding it from here on out. i've got a friend with a garage in which another friend (former auto mechanic) stores his tools. maybe there's some sort of way i can work out some "trade" for use of the tools and garage...