GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ENGEN COVER MOD DIY

NaysayerSlayer

Ready to race!
This is how mine turned out! PLEASE excuse the crappy iPhone pics! Had a blast doing it though!

used a satin black on the outer, gloss white on the inner and a gloss red on the "TSI" lettering.

leslie

Ready to race!
looks really good!

Randum

Go Kart Champion
anyone have a link to the paint they used? These all look great! I think I will be doing this!

leslie

Ready to race!
anyone have a link to the paint they used? These all look great! I think I will be doing this!

engine enamel:signal red.
lacquer spray:bumper/matt black.

My2ndGTI

Ready to race!
:w00t:

scbastv

Ready to race!
This is how mine turned out! PLEASE excuse the crappy iPhone pics! Had a blast doing it though!

used a satin black on the outer, gloss white on the inner and a gloss red on the "TSI" lettering.

wow...as i was reading this thread i was thinking about how it would look with the TSI in red against the white middle and black outer as i too have a CW...im impressed...looks great!:thumbsup:

This just made my weekend "to-do" list...:D

NaysayerSlayer

Ready to race!
thanks fellas! it took me a couple evenings to do completely...I like a good 24 hour cure personally. my debate was do I go with "engine" or "caliper" paint because of the heat resistance that probably won't stick to the plastic very well or go with a type of paint that bonds with plastic on a molecular level that doesn't have the high temp rating. I decided having used both in the past to go for the "plastic" type paint. I used some VALSPAR PLASTIC paint that I picked up at LOWES. the outer satin black I only used 2 coats but for the white I did use 4 coats. VALSPAR does offer a plastic primer that you can use with their line but I elected not to use it cause the engine cover was brand new and has never had any silicone based products used on it. if you have put any "tire wet" type products on the cover like some people use on their outer black trim paint will NOT stick to it!!! as far as the red on the lettering goes I used good ole' TESTORS model paint and a decent flat bristle brush that was .25'' in width, both bought at a hobbyshop for less than $5. I have probably driven 10 hours in the car since the completion and trust me that paint is on there! the engine cover is definently warm to the touch but not what I consider "hot" after over an hour of continous driving and I live in Texas fellas! lol! the heat has had no effect on the paint job. I hope this helps ya'll out, and appreciate the comments! Happy painting boys!!!

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Just thought I would throw my cover up here with a before and after as well, Krylon plastic paint in a satin black and white, not sure yet if I'm going to do the lettering or not but I know I will be doing more of the covers next weekend

Attachments

• IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 300
  • IMAG0118.jpg
    IMAG0118.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 336
  • IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 328

DanielStevenMKVI

Ready to race!
Just thought I would throw my cover up here with a before and after as well, Krylon plastic paint in a satin black and white, not sure yet if I'm going to do the lettering or not but I know I will be doing more of the covers next weekend

That satin black looks sexxxyyy. Love it man. Throw some red on the TSI, and it'll be perfect.

rigti9

Ready to race!

Just make sure you checked the paint for how hot it can get before it will peel/melt. @ Rust-Oleum we make High Heat paint that would work well if that starts to peel. Just a heads up. Looks nice! I may have to try on my CW also:w00t:

munkey

Ready to race!
Just make sure you checked the paint for how hot it can get before it will peel/melt. @ Rust-Oleum we make High Heat paint that would work well if that starts to peel. Just a heads up. Looks nice! I may have to try on my CW also:w00t:

who is the "we" that makes the paint?

thanks

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
thanks, when I get some of the other stuff done this weekend that I have planned it will look a lot better under there....well I hope it will at least haha