GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 Door or 4 Door

DD89

Ready to race!
It all depends on you. There is no room difference however there is a difference in accessability. If you plan to drive people a lot or need the extra door access then grab the 4-door, otherwise get the coupe.

I got the coupe because I'm not really a limo driver, plus if I do drive friends around I make them sit in the trunk.

Merelington

Ready to race!
Too much "nothing" going on behind the front doors. Looks unbalanced and awkward.

+1

but the 4 doors just ruin the whole look of the car to me just my opinion though, I just think it looks stretched out, long and ugly.

It's that longer stretched out look of the 4 door that appeals to me...I find it makes the golf look more lean and aggressive as opposed to bubbly and cute.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
While the 4-door doesn't look bad, there is just something about a sporty 2dr hatch :) . I have a mkv 4 door and i rarely use the rear seats, even when loading things. Unless you are *Very Frequently* using the rear seats, i would go 2dr. If your carrying friends, they only have to get in and out like 4 times for a round trip. And besides, its *your car*.

Last edited:

r56mcs

Ready to race!
It's all in your brain. The cargo space is fixed. And the OP was asking about the accessibility of the cargo space. We have all made the decision for a 2DR or 4DR and we are stuck with one. However, the OP has heard the uglies of both designs and he will always remember the bads of his car after buying a 2DR or 4DR.

Travis_GTI

For others considering 2 vs 4 doors. I didn't drive the 2 door, needed 4, but there probably is an advantage with side visibility on the 2 door.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Both the 2dr and 4dr appeal to me, depending on which "angle" I look at them, and I don't mean just visually.

I agree with the above that you never know what life will be like in 4-5 years, which is why I'm leaning toward 4dr. I don't think it looks as sporty but trying to talk myself into it.

I believe you'd possibly find more regret getting a 2dr than a 4dr. More likely to say "dang I wish I had those extra doors" down the road than "dang I wish those two extra doors weren't there."

As far as looks, I guess its what you get used to. Once you pull the trigger you'll be happy with what you did. That's prob how I'll be.

JonM1

Another consideration that hasn't been pointed out: the 4 door has shorter doors, which makes it easier to squeeze in and out of tight parking spots without dinging your doors...

-Jon

fastfly

Ready to race!
It's all in your brain. The cargo space is fixed. And the OP was asking about the accessibility of the cargo space. We have all made the decision for a 2DR or 4DR and we are stuck with one. However, the OP has heard the uglies of both designs and he will always remember the bads of his car after buying a 2DR or 4DR.

Wrong, cargo spaced is not the same between them.

15.2 ft^3 in the 2 door and 14.7 ft^3 in the 4 door.

ShahulX

Ready to race!
2dr coupe doesn't always mean sporty... How's that Yaris 3 door?? And 4 doors isn't unsporty anymore.... See evo, gti, si sedan, m3 sedan, cts-v

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
2dr is "traditionally" sporty and original GTI

r56mcs

Ready to race!
Wrong, cargo spaced is not the same between them.

15.2 ft^3 in the 2 door and 14.7 ft^3 in the 4 door.
I was wrong by 0.5 cu-ft.
Thanks for not capitalizing the whole word like -> "WRONG". :)

The 4 door will also be cheaper insurence wise.

It is more expensive initially, however. How long will it take to make up for that difference? I will never make up.