GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Mk VI GTI review

daihard

Ready to race!
I liked your review. I don't know you personally, but it does look to me that your opinions are honest and fairly objective without being offensive (as you stated you tried to be).

I haven't pushed my own GTI very hard yet (it being in the break-in period), but I agree with you that its TSI engine is more of a GT motor with a bit of wild taste rather than a high-revving, ultra-smooth engine such as Honda's VTEC and BMW's "M" engine. (I have owned two Integra GS-Rs and two M3s.)

One just has to set his/her expectations right in order to appreciate the value of the GTI. :)

Noize

Go Kart Champion
So did you trade in the Evo? Is the payment lower? You justed wanted a GTI. :D

I didn't. See the original post. ;)

I liked your review. I don't know you personally, but it does look to me that your opinions are honest and fairly objective without being offensive (as you stated you tried to be).

I haven't pushed my own GTI very hard yet (it being in the break-in period), but I agree with you that its TSI engine is more of a GT motor with a bit of wild taste rather than a high-revving, ultra-smooth engine such as Honda's VTEC and BMW's "M" engine. (I have owned two Integra GS-Rs and two M3s.)

One just has to set his/her expectations right in order to appreciate the value of the GTI. :)

Thanks man! I totally agree with you on the expectations thing. Its still an awesome car that does so many things right. Just a bit mature.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Great review! I think you and I came to very similar conclusions, though I was directly comparing the GTI to the Mazdaspeed3 in my review:

http://everyroadtaken.com/blog/?p=844

Bender, the avatar and SN can't be a coincidence. Were you on Tennesspeed at one time?

Edit: You have to be from the south. Nobody from Pennsylvania uses "hot mess". ;)

I liked your writeup. We had some similar take away ideas, other than opposite feelings on the GTI's handling.

I don't have any love whatsoever for the MS3. The GTI doubles as a great daily driver, but I see the MS3 as a downgrade. To add insult to injury, Mazda's MZR is a refuse pile that can't take even light modifications without fragging the engine. We did a tuning stint with the prior generation, and it was a trainwreck to say the least. Failures abound even stock. Run away from that car for sure.

Last edited:

daihard

Ready to race!
Thanks man! I totally agree with you on the expectations thing. Its still an awesome car that does so many things right. Just a bit mature.

"A bit mature" - I like that. Those are the three words that describe the GTI very eloquently. :)

[EDIT] Grammatical errors corrected. LOL

Last edited:

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Ooh, Shahul, you have Star Specs on yours already? I love those! How are you liking them?