GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you set your alarm silently?

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Did you guys know this is an American spec only feature?

Weird...looks like there is a special horn for the locking that we don't get from factory, i tried to enable it but no go.

flug2012

Ready to race!
Did you guys know this is an American spec only feature?

Weird...looks like there is a special horn for the locking that we don't get from factory, i tried to enable it but no go.

That is strange. I did read somewhere and personally experienced it, that sometimes the horn is louder when I lock the car than other times. Not sure if it has to do with the range of my keyfob (I have Kessy).

Dub Strong

Ready to race!
It is a universal no honk. The screen below is how it looks in VCDS (bit 1). Also, bit 2 lets you enable the ability to turn it on/off in the MFA. Note that it's checked in the pic, so you'd actually uncheck it to enable this. I just tried this, and you can see what it looks like in the other pic in the MFA. The "ATA Confirm" checkbox works perfectly. Uncheck it and the horn goes away. Check it again and it comes back. Slick! :thumbsup:

Awesome! Good to know. So basically, check bit 1 and uncheck bit 2 for the best of both worlds via your MFA. Thanks for the heads up!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Awesome! Good to know. So basically, check bit 1 and uncheck bit 2 for the best of both worlds via your MFA. Thanks for the heads up!

Precisely. :thumbsup:

I had my horn off from the testing I did, and it threw me when I locked my car while out today. The car will make the mechanical lock sounds, but not honk the horn if a door is ajar. Without the horn sound, I was immediately suspicious of a door not being tight. I turned it back on immediately. I can see where you might want it off in some situations, but I'll be leaving mine on most of the time.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I like it as a reminder, but I hate when I get home late from work, only to have it wake my 1 year old daughter up (her bedroom is right over the garage). That's really the only time I wish there was an option.

You lock the car in your garage? Thought you guys didn't even lock your front doors up there. :D In any case I would imagine it's the racket of the garage door opener that wakes her up rather than the honk.

Burrcold

Passed Driver's Ed
You lock the car in your garage? Thought you guys didn't even lock your front doors up there. :D In any case I would imagine it's the racket of the garage door opener that wakes her up rather than the honk.
lol yes we lock our cars :p

Even when I lock it outside, it's still pretty loud since her room window is obviously just above the garage too. Our garage door is actually whisper quiet (belt driven).

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
It's so weird noticing the differences between the American GTi's and those found over here in South Africa. By default our alarm/lock is activated silently with only a flash of the indicators. With VCDS, you can enable the "horn sound" when locking or unlocking the car. You can even turn off the indicators flashing when locking or unlocking the car.

Another difference is that our "horn" sound for the alarm system is a nice little electronic "blip" and not the actual horn of the car going "TWUNK!" I don't know why it's not activated by default over here, I love that sound!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Couldn't you just hit the lock button on your driver door like the good ole days?

The one thing that I really hate about this car is that you cannot do that. When the door is open, the lock button is disabled. You CANNOT manually lock your doors when getting out of the car, it is the most retarded "feature" of the vehicle.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Please note that the OP wanted to do this silently.

So when you're in Vag-com make sure there are no sighs or exclamations out loud when you do the coding.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
The one thing that I really hate about this car is that you cannot do that. When the door is open, the lock button is disabled. You CANNOT manually lock your doors when getting out of the car, it is the most retarded "feature" of the vehicle.

This is to help 99% of stupid americans who lock themselves out of the car while its running. For the rest of us.. it's annoying.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Please note that the OP wanted to do this silently.

So when you're in Vag-com make sure there are no sighs or exclamations out loud when you do the coding.

I see what you did there! :lol: