2010 Volkswagen Golf R Series Turbo Coming to America

sleepergti86

APRTuned
HOLY HOT SHIT I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW!!!!!

GTI2007

And another rendering by WORLDCARFANS.com

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
If they badge it R20 i don't think it will have the red grill myself.

I just hope VWuk actually thinks about pricing properly with this version of the golf (unblike the current mk6 range). They need to prices it under the current focus RS as if they don't and don't have a highish equipment spec and go for similar levels to ford then it will make the Audi S3 a cheaper alternative due to deals that can be done on the Audi.

Last edited:

GTI2007

Some more news about this car:

Volkswagen Readying GTI-R for Frankfurt

The Golf GTI Mk VI will not be the brand's last word on the subject of performance. Where the Golf Mk V had a range-topping R32 to boast about, the new generation star is a GTI-R and it will do away with this 3.2-litre normally aspirated V6 engine in favour of a smaller four-cylinder motor. Volkswagen already uses this motor quite extensively in its various brands where it makes different amounts of power.

For the Golf GTI-R a turbocharged engine worth about 266bhp (198kW) will be used according to UK CAR. It is expected that a high-performance Scirocco will benefit from the same motor. Lighter forcefed engines are the way to go as automakers do their utmost to release fewer harmful C02 gases into the atmosphere. This means more and more performance cars will sport forced induction in one way or the other.

LED daytime running lights, a different front bumper, side skirts, larger wheels, rear roof spoiler, rear LED lights and wider wheel arches are just some of the upgrades the car will receive over its cheaper GTI brother. Six-speed manual and DSG gearboxes will be made available.

Unlike direct rivals like the 2010 Ford Focus RS, the GTI-R will ditch the front-wheel-drive powertrain for all-wheel-drive. The GTI-R should appear at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show in September before being served out to the public shortly after.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090312.031/volkswagen-readying-gti-r-for-frankfurt

GTI2007

And some other news:

VW Golf GTI-R (Mk6): Volkswagen’s hotter hatch

Volkswagen is secretly readying an even harder, faster Golf GTI to launch in autumn 2009. Badged the VW Golf GTI-R, the hotter hatch will follow the classic performance recipe of more power and lighter weight to switch the Golf GTI (Mk6) from slick and sensible fast hatchback back into a proper pocket rocket again.

Our sources in Germany indicate that the R version will not use the outgoing R32’s V6 engine, preferring a lighter four-cylinder turbocharged motor with some 266bhp. Sounds suspiciously to us like the Audi S3’s engine, also tipped for the forthcoming Scirocco R20T.

VW Golf GTI-R: the tech story

Volkswagen itsn’t just relying on the 60bhp boost from the forthcoming regular VW Golf GTI. We hear it will use four-wheel drive to tame the thrust, rather than the trick front diffs employed by the Focus RS and new Renaultsport Megane 250.

And to make up for the additional weight, the Golf GTI-R will apparently undergo a weight loss programme. We’re thinking less premium than the comfort-oriented R32 – so fewer goodies and maybe even some structural lightening. We’re not clear at this stage if special materials will be used.

So when can I buy the new Golf GTI-R?

Our information points to a motor show debut at Frankfurt in September 2009, pointing to a showroom launch in winter 2009-2010.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret.../VW-Golf-GTI-R-Mk6-Volkswagens-hotter-hatch-/

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
^ Worldcarfan got there info from that carmagazine article so the above posts are really the same just rewriten.:p

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
I wait and see but i don;t think that will happen unless VW have done a total U-turn in the way they have decided to go about things in the past couple of years. The mags always talked about a lightweight mk5 GTI but it never happened and my sources back then told me it would not happen but year after year the mags reported it would.

GTI2007

Let's hope they do it this time cause having an awd Golf with the similar weight as a fwd Ford Focus RS or Renaultsport Megane 250 would make it a hard competitor of those 2 fwd cars

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
The focus RS is heavy the GTIR will be lighter than it no question even without the BS spouted by carmag.