GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Budget of ~$35,000 for a DD. What to buy?

C4L

Banned
500 Abarth ... is roughly the same price as the gti, its slower, it has a lot less space and its uglier.

GTI is really the way to go.

Fiat 500 Abarth - From $22,000
VW GTI - From $23,995

Fiat 500 Abarth - 160hp and 2,550 lbs = 15.9 lbs/hp
VW GTI - 200hp and 3,100 lbs= 15.5 lbs/hp

Fiat 500 Abarth - 28/34 mpg
VW GTI - 21/31 mpg

Fiat 500 Abarth - 0-60 in 6.8 seconds w/ manual
VW GTI - 0-60 in 6.1 seconds w/ manual

Fiat 500 Abarth - 26.9 second MT Figure-8
VW GTI - 26.5 second MT Figure-8

And I have seen several cruising around now and they look great. I don't think they are a bad alternative.

Fiat 500 Abarth vs. GTI

Fiat + 20% better gas mileage
Fiat + 550 lbs less weight
Fiat + $2,000+ less money
GTI + 9% faster to 60
GTI + 2% faster on MT Figure-8
GTI + 2.5% better power-to-weight ratio

I think both make good arguments. Sure, I prefer the GTI too but that doesn't mean the Abarth is a bad choice. Seems like the same rationale behind people buying a Cooper S over a GTI.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Certified 135i or 335i

STI, WRX, or Evo still under stock warranty

06-09 S4 sucks, sorry.. but someone had to say it.

C4L

Banned
Certified 135i or 335i

STI, WRX, or Evo still under stock warranty

06-09 S4 sucks, sorry.. but someone had to say it.

You think a 340hp naturally aspirated 4.2L V8 B7 A4 sucks but an Impreza or Lancer with a massive 18psi+ (read turbo lag) turbo doesn't???

No one is going to say that the B7 S4 is a track-day darling by any means but it would be a much better DD car than an Evo or STI. Those cars only do one thing well and that is go fast. The B7 S4 is a much more complete car. Not a dick on wheels like those tuner cars from Japan.

I can't argue that they aren't fast but that is it. And the B7 S4 is BARELY slower than those cars. Runs a 5.0 to 60 and 13.8 1/4...

Here is a nice write-up from C&D on CPO 2004-2008 S4's...
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/certified-pre-owned-2004-2008-audi-s4

And you could get a good, late model CPO B7 S4 for WELL under $35k. Even under $30k if you look. 100k/6-year warranty and all. As a DD, I think it is great. As a track car, maybe not. As a toy/play car, maybe not. A DD, yes.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You think a 340hp naturally aspirated 4.2L V8 B7 A4 sucks but an Impreza or Lancer with a massive 18psi+ (read turbo lag) turbo doesn't???

No one is going to say that the B7 S4 is a track-day darling by any means but it would be a much better DD car than an Evo or STI. Those cars only do one thing well and that is go fast. The B7 S4 is a much more complete car. Not a dick on wheels like those tuner cars from Japan.

I can't argue that they aren't fast but that is it. And the B7 S4 is BARELY slower than those cars. Runs a 5.0 to 60 and 13.8 1/4...

Here is a nice write-up from C&D on CPO 2004-2008 S4's...
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/certified-pre-owned-2004-2008-audi-s4

And you could get a good, late model CPO B7 S4 for WELL under $35k. Even under $30k if you look. 100k/6-year warranty and all. As a DD, I think it is great. As a track car, maybe not. As a toy/play car, maybe not. A DD, yes.

dude, you just love to argue, don't you? did you submit the app for law school yet?

first, a 335i is faster than the B7 S4. The 5 second test has to be one of the fastest I've seen, as I recall seeing other mags getting anywere from 5.2-5.4, but regardless, I wouldn't ever consider buying one or recommending one to someone.

Agreed, it is a better DD than the JDM rice rockets, yes. But thats about it. It would suck on a track and doesn't handle or feel anything like much of a "play car" or "toy" at all, imho. Evo's seem to have more stock lag than a WRX or STI, from my experiences, and regardless, its not that bad at all considering the rush that comes after the ever so slight lag.

I've driven a B7 S4 - it feels slow and heavy and gets horrible gas mileage. If I would have bought one over a 335i/xi, I'd feel like a complete moron. You can buy them (B7 S4) for as low as $26K in my area, sometimes lower depending on the mileage.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
You can find an 08 M3 for $35k. Not many options, but shit. Its an M3. With a V8 that screams to 8250 rpm...

Or you can save a little more and wait for an 09 which has better features and less first MY bugs.

disclaf

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the great input guys.

CW_GTI and GunKata: 135i has my attention for sure. I drove a rental 1 series in Europe for a few weeks and liked it a lot. I need to test drive a 135i ASAP.

Gunkata - STI, WRX and Evo: while great cars for the money, they don't do it for me at all, styling-wise. Also - you're a very knowledgable guy all over these threads - tell me why you think the B7 sucks.

C4L: Didn't really consider the CC - also a great car, but I have a feeling it is not athletic enough for me. I'm looking for something that has tight handling and is light on its feet. Need to test drive the CC to find out for sure, though.
Thanks for the head-to-head data for the Abarth vs. the GTI and the C&D article about the B7 A4/S4. The Abarth is really a wild card here.

My next step is to set up appointments to test drive a 135i, a B7 S4, an A5/S5 and an Abarth (out of curiosity)

And yet...
the Cayman is haunting me....lots of comments on the planet 9 forum about how good the base Cayman is, no need for an S if not tracking it, and how good it is as a DD...

EDIT - GunKata - just saw your opinion about the B7 above - thanks a lot for that!

Last edited:

disclaf

Ready to race!
You can find an 08 M3 for $35k. Not many options, but shit. Its an M3. With a V8 that screams to 8250 rpm...

Or you can save a little more and wait for an 09 which has better features and less first MY bugs.

Haven't really considered the M3...time to take a look!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
you're welcome. I'd much rather have an S5 (my other friend has one of those, lol) over the B7 S4.

Cayman - heck yeah, go drive it! The S is on my short list in a few years.

M3 - they do rule, but remember, it gets about 14mpg city - yeow!

McQueen77

Banned
I think a CC R-Line would be a nice DD.. Then there is the R.. If it were me though, I'd buy a yr old A4, go Stage 1 on it and call it a day. A lot of anti-A4 guys on this board, but I love those cars.

QUEDRO

Ready to race!
M3s and V8s as a DD ? Doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you guys texting form back in time when a gallon of gas was $1

135i, A5, CPO 335i makes more sense. Porsche - hands down - THE car, but everyday ??
I would actually really look into A5. Stylish, coupe, awd, audi, great tune support

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I think a CC R-Line would be a nice DD.. Then there is the R.. If it were me though, I'd buy a yr old A4, go Stage 1 on it and call it a day. A lot of anti-A4 guys on this board, but I love those cars.

there are? I would support this as well, maybe 1-2 yr old one. A4's are nice cars for sure.. light mods, awd, very nice.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
M3s and V8s as a DD ? Doesn't sound right to me. Maybe you guys texting form back in time when a gallon of gas was $1

135i, A5, CPO 335i makes more sense. Porsche - hands down - THE car, but everyday ??
I would actually really look into A5. Stylish, coupe, awd, audi, great tune support

A5 would be good. Caymans are driven as DD's in many nice areas, Pcars the last 15 years or so are great DD's.

disclaf

Ready to race!

I agree with your point about gas mileage for the V8s. The B7 and the M3 are great cars, but those V8s are a big drawback right now.

I really like the 2.0T VAG drivetrain for its mpg and its tuning potential - definitely a big reason why the A4/A5 are so attractive to me. The base 2.7L Cayman gets great gas mileage as well.

Check out this thread regarding the base Cayman as a DD vs. the Cayman S:
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/33486-cayman-base-vs-cayman-s.html