GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Video of Door Creaking & Flexing Sound

santrac

flex sounds door

Hello

Have A 2010 4 door with this problem, at the VAg they claimed that I need to lube the doorseals with silicon or wax but the problem was everytime i got into the car my jacket got smeared of the silicon and the wax.

Cleaned all the silicon crap and wax so the doorseals are completely dry.

Bought sorry if i dont know the proper name, furniture glides for the legs for the furniture. Dont know if this sis the exact name of this but I put the on around the door on the frame of the car where the door top seals meets the frame so now the door when closing it meets the glides and the flexing sound is now gone.

Put 4 glides around the frame on each door, and when closing the door and when pushing the door on the seal no sound either.

It looks ok and you wont notice the glides

Br

Marvin

Ready to race!
Hello

Have A 2010 4 door with this problem, at the VAg they claimed that I need to lube the doorseals with silicon or wax but the problem was everytime i got into the car my jacket got smeared of the silicon and the wax.

Cleaned all the silicon crap and wax so the doorseals are completely dry.

Bought sorry if i dont know the proper name, furniture glides for the legs for the furniture. Dont know if this sis the exact name of this but I put the on around the door on the frame of the car where the door top seals meets the frame so now the door when closing it meets the glides and the flexing sound is now gone.

Put 4 glides around the frame on each door, and when closing the door and when pushing the door on the seal no sound either.

It looks ok and you wont notice the glides

Br

Can you post some photos to see what you mean, exactly?

santrac

Hello

Will post pic of the solution I used, if you have a black car it will be the best since most glides are white but these I have found are black.
My car is tornadored but is ok better then white colour.

Picture of the glides what I mean by that.

The left corner the black ones i have but around the car frame at door, splitting them in half so they wont stick out and adding them to the frame

Br

Attachments

• 86-318_l.jpg
    86-318_l.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 261

santrac

pics of the glides

Here are some pics of the glides or chair cushions

Br

Attachments

• 2012-03-28 13.31.43.jpg
    2012-03-28 13.31.43.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 335
  • 2012-03-28 13.31.51.jpg
    2012-03-28 13.31.51.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 2012-03-28 13.32.01.jpg
    2012-03-28 13.32.01.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 298

Marvin

Ready to race!
Here are some pics of the glides or chair cushions

Br

Are these things soft and spongy and meant to protect wooden floors from damage by the legs of tables and chairs etc. rather than to make this furniture glide over carpet?

santrac

Hello

You are correct did not have the right explanation for it but they are not so spongy and not so hard somewhere in between.
Any I hava about 95 percent flex sound gone, it sound no only when I really try to bring the noise example gowing really slow over a bump and stopping movin back and forward there is a slight small flex sound.
I believe if i pu some additional extra maybe at the b pillar it will all be gone

Maybe it is not the best solution esteticall way but it works

Br

Marvin

Ready to race!
Hello

You are correct did not have the right explanation for it but they are not so spongy and not so hard somewhere in between.
Any I hava about 95 percent flex sound gone, it sound no only when I really try to bring the noise example gowing really slow over a bump and stopping movin back and forward there is a slight small flex sound.
I believe if i pu some additional extra maybe at the b pillar it will all be gone

Maybe it is not the best solution esteticall way but it works

Br

I would have thought that these blocks of whatever they are would tend to stop the door's toop seal strip from sealing properly against the car's door frame, thus allowing perhaps more wind noise at speed or even water ingress in heavy rain.

santrac

hello

Sorry did not see your last note.
You put the a bit in so they are not in line with the end of the dorr frame.
So when closing the door there is a little bit ocf place for the upper door seal to take place.
Since the door seal has a slope the spung is placed in the middle of the slope when closing the door.

They are sticky so when making a error placing them be quick to remove them since I noticed that sticky rubber on metal stick hard.

santrac

i will take a picture when the door is closed it is perfectly aligned with the door frame and when you feel the seal with your fingers you cannot even feel the spunges on the places they are placed at, since they as on my previous thread placed a bit from the end of the door frame.

I have not tested the water test if it leaks but i will check that next time I´m at the washer.

Bradnd99

Passed Driver's Ed
I started experiencing this issue on my 1 week old, <500 mile 4 door GTI. It is immediately noticeable when I pull out of my garage and drive down my alley because it has a whole bunch of speed bumps. Going over them with one side of the wheels in the center gutter would make the noise VERY noticeable.

I read this WHOLE thread. :)

I just happened to have some left over garden irrigation tubing in my garage from a backyard project so I gave it a try tonight.

Definitely FIXED. A quick spin around the block and over several speed bumps and not a creak to be heard.

Like a whole new car...wait, it is.

McQueen77

Banned
Glad to hear the tubing works for people. The BMW felt tape I put ages ago is still going strong and was the easiest solution ever for me. Tubing bummed me outband it never seemed like the door shut properly with it in.

milin

Hi. New guy from Bangkok here. I got Black GTI 5-door. Sorry i didn't introduce myself earlier but I guess I'd like to add some contribution to this door squeaking thing. Hope you don't mind.

Had the problem since day 1 of getting the GTI. Squeaking is normal with GTI and they applied some rubber lubricant on the door seal. That didn't work. Tried to explain to them it's the felt that causes the squeaking not the rubber. They didn't listen and said this happen to a lot of GTI and it's normal. Left the dealer super pissed off and decided to do it myself.

Went thru this entire thread and found the rubber tube solution. Bought a small oxygen tube for fish tank and put it in between the layers of felt seal at the top of the door. Squeaking was 100% gone. But then a few weeks after, the squeak came back - not as much but it's back. Perhaps the tube deformed (it's cheap... 5 baht/meter = 13cent/meter).

Did more search and ended up with the anti-friction tape from BMW - 10USD/meter. It's a clear tape and I put it on the car body where it meets the felt seal. Apparently a lot of new BMW here have the same problem and it's how BMW Thailand fixes this problem. Took around 5 meters for the entire length of the car body that meet the felt. Once put it on, noone will notice it as the tape is semi-transparent and it just blend with the car color. Been 2 months now and squeak is now gone 100%. Doesn't come off after several car washes a well. The guy at BMW said this will stay for years.

Similar product is found in Amazon.com. You can search it for "3M Squeak Reduction Tape". I think someone here uses it as well. Too bad, shipping cost from USA to Thailand is more expensive than the tape itself.

Drove pass my dealer the other day so I stopped by and tell them that this is how to get rid of the squeaking door noise. They were amazed as if I told them elephant can fly. Hopefully they would offer this fix for the next user of GTI with similar problem.

I also would like to thank this thread for pointing me out several ways to fix the problem and finally, my GTI is quiet as a good car should be.

Hope this help.