GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for 9w3 and solution to iphone interface issue

daihard

Ready to race!

Mr. Timewise

NEWS FLASH!

OK...so I thought I'd try something that I've always known will not work. The buttons overhead which activated the 9W2 bluetooth system are not supposed to function with the 9W7 installed. WRONG! Yes, I've been wrong all along. All the buttons work just as they did with the 9W2! Activate, mute, on/off handsfree, hang-up, "make BT visible" all work using the overhead buttons just as they did when the 9W2 BT module was in the car.

The only thing in the overhead phone control panel that does not function is the amber/green/red light.

Therefore you don't even need a MFSW to work the 9W7 system. The voice commands are activated upon pressing the microphone button overhead.

This is big news for some people.

Last edited:

CS^MKVI

Hey all, I need clarification on all of this bluetooth saga.
To set the scene, I am in Australia. I have ordered my Golf GTMK6 and will be getting it mid July.

The phone I use is a iPhone 3GS 32GB.

The only functionality I want is to be able to cycle through the contacts on the MFD with the steering wheel control, make a call, receive a call. I do not care for media streaming, I have the MDI so will just plug a dedicated iPod or HDD in for that.

What model bluetooth module do I require for this functionality? I have not ordered bluetooth yet as it is a dealer fit accessory and in the accessory catalogue there are 2 different kits listed.

Thanks!

pvivino

Ready to race!
The only functionality I want is to be able to cycle through the contacts on the MFD with the steering wheel control, make a call, receive a call. I do not care for media streaming, I have the MDI so will just plug a dedicated iPod or HDD in for that.

What model bluetooth module do I require for this functionality?

Either the 9w3 or 9w7 will work for phonebook listings from a phone. The 9w7 adds the 9w2 streaming to the 9w3 phonebook and the price is not that much more. From what Mr Timewise is saying everything but the overhead light works with 9w7 so I would advise getting this module to enable all functionalities that you will likely want at some point.

CS^MKVI

Ok, so is the 9w7 available as a VW part yet? If so, I should technically be able to give the part number to my dealer before the car is delivered and tell them to install it..

glowworm238

Ready to race!

rikemomo

hey guys--

I don't want to repeat a post so I think I'll just try asking here: I just got my GTI on Friday, and as far as I can tell, all the "phone" button does is mute stereo. When I make a call, I get audio and can talk through the car system, but in the manual I am supposed to have all kinds of options, including the ability to create a phonebook and all that.

I thought it might be something to do with the new phone OS or the new phone itself, but after reading here, it sounds like it could be the car itself.

Do I need to get a system upgrade? I need to take the car back to the dealer tomorrow (the glovebox lock system pulls out a bit when I open it; I have to push it back in) so I will ask about it. very frustrating!

thanks,
mike

Last edited:

Geofux

Ready to race!
hey guys--

I don't want to repeat a post so I think I'll just try asking here: I just got my GTI on Friday, and as far as I can tell, all the "phone" button does is mute stereo. When I make a call, I get audio and can talk through the car system, but in the manual I am supposed to have all kinds of options, including the ability to create a phonebook and all that.

I thought it might be something to do with the new phone OS or the new phone itself, but after reading here, it sounds like it could be the car itself.

Do I need to get a system upgrade? I need to take the car back to the dealer tomorrow (the glovebox lock system pulls out a bit when I open it; I have to push it back in) so I will ask about it. very frustrating!

thanks,
mike

The manual covers all bases for cars with all functionality (9w2, 9w3 and 9w7 modules).