GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

paint blend required on 2 month old car?

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
Hoping someone here with some type of experience knows this answer. I just got off the phone with a shop and want to make sure they aren't BSing me for more work.

As some of you know, my car was damaged this week. Bumper, hood, grille and headlights need to be replaced. i want to order the parts myself, have them paint, and then me assemble everything. The body shop is telling me that even though my car is brand new and the paint isn't faded that they have to blend the bumper/hood with the fenders. Is this true or are they just trying to get more money by doing all the work? :confused:

McQueen77

Banned
this is standard and necessary. why do you want to reassemble yourself?

bshappy

Ready to race!
Every batch of paint you mix is going to be slightly different. Blend is SOP and ensures that there is no contrast between parts.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Every batch of paint you mix is going to be slightly different. Blend is SOP and ensures that there is no contrast between parts.

+1. Age of the car / paint isn't really the issue. I think cars are painted in batches at the factory, and there may be very slight shade differences between the paint used for different batches. Blending new paint in with paint on undamaged panels with original paint is normal so you don't see the difference between old and new.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all.

Reason for assembling myself is I was going to go ahead and purchase APR intercooler and then install myself. My deductible is also 1k so I was hoping I could actually get parts and painted for a little above that then assemble myself to not take the hit on insurance.

Just talked to a shop that VW uses for their repairs. Service manager has a GTI and had them do the work too and he said it's flawless, so looks like I'll just be letting them do it all.

Thanks again!