GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spacers

Artysta

Ready to race!
I am looking to throw some spacers on my gti to give it more a wider stance. My car is not lowered. Are spacers usually put on the car when its lowered so its flushed, or can I put spacers on my car eventhough its stock. Do they serve any other purpose other than cosmetic? Ive also noticed that the numbers vary from the back to the front, whats the recommended setup?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
You can put them on at any time. Lowered or not, you'll be a more flush depending on the thickness you choose. They're really only for looks. They lower your center of gravity so handling may be improved but you're not likely to notice it.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
They lower your center of gravity

Springs do that more than spacers....lol

Pushing the wheels out further will help a little bit in handling, but it will be sooo minimal

(remember Pontiac's old slogan: Wider is better!)

Last edited:

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Springs do that, not spacers....lol

Pushing the wheels out further will help a little bit in handling, but it will be sooo minimal

They do lower your center of gravity by decreasing your level of angular weight distribution the same way lowering your car does :)
but results will be minimal compared to lowering your car

Artysta

Ready to race!
whats a typical size one uses to make a noticeable change visually?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I would go 8mm F and 12mm R.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I have those same springs which is why I know what spacers will work. You will have PLENTY of clearance. Whichever you choose to do first, you'll be fine.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Im planning on lowering the car with H&R super sport or sport springs. Would it be a good idea to do that first?

If you're concerned with rubbing, you might wanna do the springs first & then see how much room you have to work with first

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
Quick question so I don't have to start a new thread. I have the optional 18" Detroit. I want to make those flush with the fender or just slightly tucked. I just don't want rubbing or fender bumping when going over bumps or at high speeds.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Quick question so I don't have to start a new thread. I have the optional 18" Detroit. I want to make those flush with the fender or just slightly tucked. I just don't want rubbing or fender bumping when going over bumps or at high speeds.

Are you lowered?

Just take a ruler or measuring tape & see how far you can go

You'll probably want around 5mm up front & around 10mm in the back