GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dsg - coming to a stop

90049_GTI

just got my shiny new white 4dr gti with dsg 2 days ago. loving every moment of it. couple of questions though:

- for a split second the engine feels like it's about to stall right before i come to a complete stop. have seen some complaints in the old mk5 forum. not much in the mk6 forum. is this just the way it is with dsg or there something wrong with the transmission?

- has anybody tried mounting an american license plate to the lower grill section between the fog light and the air intake? desperately trying to avoid mounting on the front bumper.

thanks for your comments.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Welcome to the forum! The DSG should adapt over time -- some of us experience a clunk coming to a stop, especially in manual or sport modes.

Some people are using zip-ties to tie the plate into the honeycomb mesh - others are using an adapter that screws into the tow-hook.

I'm running naked, myself :)

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the forum! The DSG should adapt over time -- some of us experience a clunk coming to a stop, especially in manual or sport modes.

I have DSG, and I experience a slight "clunk" when I am in sport mode.

This happens only when I am slowing to a stop, and it happens when the tranny automatically shifts from 3rd-to-2nd...or 2nd-to-1rst.....I forget

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
remember the transmission has 2 clutches and acts like a manual gearbox... if your comign to a stop and have it in M leave it in 2 until your stopped it will automatically put it in 1st. what its doing is slipping the clutch and try to put it in 1st and smoothly as possible thus the feeling of it stalling

90049_GTI

seems like what you guys are describing is close to what i'm experiencing. however the slight "shuddering" right before the car comes to a complete stop is happening with me in standard 'drive' move, not 'sport'. still i guess the dsg is still downshifting and then is releasing the clutch right at the last moment possible, causing the shudder/clunk.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
remember the transmission has 2 clutches and acts like a manual gearbox... if your comign to a stop and have it in M leave it in 2 until your stopped it will automatically put it in 1st. what its doing is slipping the clutch and try to put it in 1st and smoothly as possible thus the feeling of it stalling

+1

wildcars

Ready to race!
I am experiencing the same problem..

But according to the dealers here in SA, it's normal...

Clempson13

Ready to race!
i experience it too, its like a shudder when coming to a stop. it seems to just be the transmission down shifting and a change in revs for a bit when this happens. it doesn't feel to me that it is anything that is malfunctioning or operating as it shouldn't so i never really worried about it. only annoying part is the deep humm it creates for me along with the shuddering. hoping a noise pipe delete will take some of the humm out.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I've noticed less of that behavior since I installed the torque arm insert -- I suspect that as it's slipping into first, it rocks the motor on it's mounts, and when it goes to neutral, the clunk/thud/jerk is the motor returning to it's original position.

wildcars

Ready to race!
So its normal?

rezzer

Hi guys,

Im experiencing the same thing as well (DSG As well), clunk/thud when coming to a stop, i.e 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.. is this normal? Im getting worried but some say its ok.. been having this funny noise since i got the car.. its 30,000KM mileage now. The noise is intermittent though, not all the time it sounds when i slow down.. once a while..

Any idea?

Q822

Ready to race!
I always stop switching down a 2nd gear...and I've never felt anything like that. Did you try not switching in 1st gear manually?