GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 6 - Ticking/Clicking noise

twotribez

Hi all,
Thought i would update on the clicking ticking noise.
After the ECU update, there was no change to the noise, in fact it progressively got worse. I would get up to speed merging onto the freeway and the transmission would just sound like it had no idea what to do. It was like it was cycling through gears trying to make a decision which one to use. The car would rev and there would be no drive response. I would turn the car off and start it up, put it in drive and it would take of clicking again. Second issue was pulling up to a red light. while the dsg passes from second to first it would jerk forward.. kind of dangerous so i had to make sure i was parked. far enough from the car in front.
Finally after 7 weeks, going on 8, VW have 'faulted' the transmission and are replacing it. Im told it will be here tomorrow and i should be back in the car by friday.
Good outcome finally, after battling to get them to do something about it..

Hey VWWIKI,

Finally they have an outcome for you, glad to hear it will be resolved. Hopefully the transmission will not do it again. I am still waiting on my new one, has not arrived yet but I am scared it may have the same problems too. I really do miss the car though.

vwkiwi

the cars back!

Picked up the car last night and am really happy to report that the noise has gone. In fact the car drives like a completly different vehicle whick makes me believe the tranny was faulty from pickup.
Am releaved the issue is finally over, it took some time and invloved a lot of different partys but VW came through and solved the issue.

On a side note, when you are travelline up the gears, and release the gas pedel and then apply it straight away there is always a 'click' - im guessing this is normal for DSG?

Its great to have the golf back - fantastic car

gerard

Mine's a 118 DSG.
no noise that I can discern from the DSG.

Noise I get is:

a) Supercharger clutch chirp when it engages? at low speeds/rpm

b) Clicking sound in drivers door on rough road. Does not appear when window is wound down.

c) Clunk in boot area when going over speed bumps. (not spare wheel or tool kit)

Latest on Sunday, Car goes forward when DSG selected in reverse. Level ground. OK after recycling gears

Ok, had the car at the dealer to attend to my problem

The chirping sound was attributed to a defective water pump (it shares drive with the supercharger) and changed. Car is now quiet on that front. :)

They were unable to isolate the rattle in the door and so not fixed

They tried tightening suspension components in the rear but the 'clunk' still remains.

Will attempt fix next week when I rotate the tyres.

twotribez

Ok, had the car at the dealer to attend to my problem

The chirping sound was attributed to a defective water pump (it shares drive with the supercharger) and changed. Car is now quiet on that front. :)

They were unable to isolate the rattle in the door and so not fixed

They tried tightening suspension components in the rear but the 'clunk' still remains.

Will attempt fix next week when I rotate the tyres.

I just got my replacement car, its a March 09 build and I have to say, still a slight creaking noise from the gear box, not as loud as before and not as frequent, I am thinking it is just how the DGS gearbox is built.

However, some good news is that this one does not have the driver's door rattling noise or the loud clunk from the rear.

Uomo1

I just got my replacement car, its a March 09 build

Wow, dude - did they give you a Brand NEW repacement car because of those problems and kept your old one?!! I have never heard of that happening even when you have a faulty engine at best they will fix under warranty.

Can you please share with us all how you got VW to give you a new car?:thumbsup:

indy69

Mr Gee.

I wonder if you could help me. I have the same problem with my 118tsi. Every time I accelerate and the supercharger kicks in it makes a squeak noise. It is extremely annoying. I have taken it to the service people who are aware of the problem. They have told me that it is coming from the supercharger clutch but are unable to fix it. They were told by VW that it is part of the normal functioning of the supercharger. I am not happy with this. Can you tell me where you had your car fixed with replacement of the water pump. Thanks.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
^^^ Have you asked the dealer if you could drive another like car and see if it has the same sound as the supercharger kicks in? This should prove whether tise noise is normal or not.

indy69

The dealer is aware that it is not a normal noise. I know this because my car was not making this noise before. They reported this to VW and told me they were informed by them that despite this noise the car is functioning to spec and nothing else can be done. This does not sound right to me. They also said that they had replaced the supercharger on another vehicle but the noise returned within 1 week. I guess this why VW is not prepared to authorise further work on the supercharger.

Apparently Mr Gee has the exact same problem which was diagnosed as being a defective water pump. I dont think my dealer/service people know anything about this as they did not mention it. Wouldn't your dealer have reported this problem to VW so that they would already know about this Mr Gee? I don't get whats happening but I need this sound fixed. Please help. Thanks.

gerard

JUst to better understand your problem so that I could equate them to mine.

1. The squeek/chirp noise happens around 1500 - 2000 rpm when I accelerate hard. This was attributed to the faulty water pump as tested by my dealer (Burwin)

2. There is another sound at around the same rpm but under part throttle (warble) which I take to be DV valve. I take it then its normal

3. Lastly there is a click sound when I accel/decell suddenly or drive over a sharp bump in the road whic I take to be either suspension or door rattle. Dealer had tighted suspension components to no avail. I'll take a closer look when the weather gets a bit warmer

indy69

Its exactly as you describe it Mr. Gee. When you accelerate slowly there is no squeak, but if you drive, let go of the breaks then accelerate again then you can reproduce this sound. It will happen every time. Its not related to hard breaking or or speed bumbs or rattles. I am convinced it is the same sound you have described. I don' get those other sounds though. The dealer has told me its the supercharger clutch. I spoke to them today and asked them about possible water pump fault but they gave me the run around. Still not happy. As you know it can quite annoying sound.

Anyway spoke to VW customer service who have told me I can get another opinion so I have arranged an appointment with Chatswood classic cars (sydney) in couple weeks. I have heard they are very good. Are you based in melbourne Mr Gee? What was wrong with your water pump? What is your take on all this? The service people have told me its the supercharger clutch making the noise, but that it is functioning normally. I am pretty certain the noise was not there when I took delivery only over 1 month ago. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

indy69

Just to clarify further the squeak sound is only momentary lasting about 1sec. It only happens when I accelerate hard and disappears as you keep accelerating. However if you then release the accelerator and then repeat by accelerating hard again you will undoutedly reproduce the same momentary squeak. Very annoying. Even louder with the window down. Seems to be coming from the rear of the car.

gerard

the water pump runs off the supercharger belt. maybe its the mag clutch on the water pump.

After the shop visit, no more chirps.

one thing to note, I read that Italian Golf Forums have reported several instances this problem and now VW has said its not an issue. Not exactly sure why as google doesn't translate that well

http://66.102.11.132/translate_c?hl...le.com&usg=ALkJrhjyz_eHvGUULKcWgF3IJcGt4BZ0eA