GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Red Tint on Footwell Lights

CadMan

Ready to race!
I had used the red tape for broken rear taillamps and it does not look as nice or bright at 100% brightness.:(

I looked at that tape also, but it was not transparent enough. Canadian tire sells the sheathing tape, don't remembr what I paid for it.

mine isn't that bright either, i just swapped the stock bulb for a red one. kinda like the more subtle look though. that red in the op's pic is pretty sweet, but pretty intense too

The last picture is the best representation of how it looks the first ones look so intense because of the camera settings for the low light and the length of time the aperture was open. Reality is a bit less intense then the first couple pictures show.
The good thing is the colour being red it doesn't screw with your night vision. :smoking:

back2vw1

I ended up using the tail light tape a few days ago and it looks fine to me. It is less bright, but that is to be expected.
I leave it at 35 or 40% and it looks good in my opinion.

DvS21

Ready to race!
I bought a roll of the perfect tape. It's a transparent red, works excellently, the brightness is NOT noticeably diminished. Anyone who wants some I have 10 yards. I'd be more than happy to send you enough to do your car for, $2.50. I recoup some of my investment, and you guys get the right tape for the job without having to buy a whole roll of otherwise hard to use/slightly expensive tape. I will post pictures in a few minutes when it get's dark enough for a good snap shot.

DvS21

Ready to race!

My hand isn't as steady as the OP's here is a taste I will create a new thread for anyone interesting in buying.

mortis

Ready to race!
My tape cam in today. I will "install" it tonight. Anyone in Houston who wants my remaining tape, let me know. It's your.

CadMan

Ready to race!
That doesn't look good at all, it looks like a Disco!

Don't knock it till you try it.
The original reason that I used tape was that I already had it from a previous DIY home project and I wanted to try it out before buying Red bulbs. I wasn't sure I would like the look. Then once I had the tape on and took the car out for a night drive it was like everything made perfect sense. At 50% illumination the glow from the foot wells matches the instrumentation lighting perfectly. Much better continuity of interior lighting. It looked so good that I decided to not mess with it and order some silly bulbs that might or might not throw a code.

But then again I'm going out clubbing with the wifie tonight and if it gives her the Saturday Night Fever sitting in my disco on the way to the club... all the better my man.

Next mod "get my GTI monster mats to light up like disco dance floor"

SMOKEY58

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is My LED Mod For the Footwells. I tapped the LED's to the footwell lights so now they dim and brighten like the OEM ones do. :happyanim:

Attachments

• Car LED.jpg
    Car LED.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 701