GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MK6: Leather or Cloth?

drewnyc

I would like to hear from those who actual own a GTI MK6 or have test driven one - what is the quality of the leather and/or cloth seats?

Besides the obvious differences (heat / upkeep) - is leather worth the extra $$$.

(I've spent way too many hours trying to figure out which options I want to get...)

kurtje

Passed Driver's Ed
I own a VI GTI and the seats are not the same as in the V...
My friend got leather and that are very good seats, but i like mine more!!!!

Alex.

Ready to race!
The leather is the same quality as the MKV, but the seat is a different shape.

If you have never seen the MKV or MKVI leather before, the quality is pretty good. The texture is nice (not shiny), although it is a bit loose.

Aussie3318

In the US spec models, the seats are a different shape. I just test drove both today (one leather with DSG and one cloth with Standard trans). I personally preferred the leather seats since they have larger side supports and make for a more fun ride. I also preferred the look to the leather (sportier). You should really try them yourself when you decide on which car you want. Go test drive the current MKV, since there's no difference in the seat structures.

Last edited:

Cigar

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sick of leather personally. So hard to maintain. It starts to show wear after a few months. It absorbs the extreme hots and colds far more than cloth.

In the US spec models, the seats are a different shape. I just test drove both today (one leather with DSG and one cloth with Standard trans). I personally preferred the leather seats since they have larger side supports and make for a more fun ride. I also preferred the look to the leather (sportier). You should really try them yourself when you decide on which car you want. Go test drive the current MKV, since there's no difference in the seat structures.

Yeah - we can't get the top sport seats here in the US in cloth so the leather buckets are the only way to get the good stuff :mad:. Having said that, the "base" sport seats (GT highline in the rest of the world I think) are not bad and I've done my stint with leather. High maintainance, hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Plus they're only available with the Autobahn package here and that's just a ridiculous amount of money. Sigh - damn VWoA and stupid American drivers.

zee

Go Kart Champion

None. The top one is Mark 6, the second one is Mark 5. Both are not available in North America.

We get this below in North America.

http://www.mattdesmond.com/NEWGTI/images/new_gti_1024_16.jpg

Last edited:

kurtje

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmmz the normal seats have a more sideway support then the leather ones... Tested them both, and there's a huge difference between both..

The european normal seat is produced by Recaro!!!

This is my seat :D

VW Golf VI seat

zee

Go Kart Champion
Kurtje,
Did you seat in the top sport leather seats or the regular leather seats.

The top sport leather seats and the Top cloth seats are identical. Yours is the Top cloth seats.

North America will only be getting the Top leather seats or the regular cloth seats in the GTI.

The regular leather seat is below...and for North America, will be only be an option in the Canadian Highline Golf.

zee

Go Kart Champion
That's a Polo right? not the MKVI interior?

Sadly not. It is a North America MK5 GTI plaid cloth interior. North America will not be getting Top sport seats in cloth. We are getting the normal Plaid Cloth Sport Seats like in the Mark V, only difference is that the checkered will look slightly different.

Here is another picture.

Sample of what the new Mark 6 GTI plaid checkered will look like.

kurtje

Passed Driver's Ed
My friend has the GTI seats, there is no choice over here in Europe...
They look like my cloth seats... Just like in the pic above...

But the support from the side is slightly better in my cloth seats, but it could be that the leather seats are a little wider then mine...

They both sit great!!!