GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front License Plate Removal

Alex.

Ready to race!
I was wondering if anyone has removed their front license plate.

Was it difficult?

What kind of marks did it leave?

Stein357

Ready to race!
I'd tell your dealer specifically not to put it on, I know with my '08 Si, the dealer will drill a nice hole right in the center of your bumper. I'd imagine VW has something similar. I specifically told them that I don't want it put on my Si and I wouldn't accept the car if they did, going to do the same thing with my GTI as well. Shouldn't be a problem.

Alex.

Ready to race!
Ok, thanks

So its not the factory that drills the holes?

I should probably tell them right before they receive the car, they will probably forget if I tell them now.

zee

Go Kart Champion
The plates for USA VWs are port installed before arrival at the dealers, but it can be done as he said above.

innoGTI

I think they will drill the holes before the day they hand over your car and as Stein said that you can tell the dealer to not drill holes at the front or you are not gonna accept the car.

US VW dealers receive the front plate bracket loose. Those in 2 plate states (mine being one of them - Maryland) generally install as part of PDI. The dealer I'm working with for my MK 6 GTI order tells me that if I don't want them to install then he'll be glad to make sure that happens (or doesn't more accurately).

Alex.

Ready to race!
Yeah, Thank you. I already told my dealer, but I will remind him right before they get my car.

For some reason they are saying it will be 4 months until it arrives, because of a problem with the navigation. Although, my dealer said there will be some kind of significant update tomorrow.

some states require front plates - I've been told in CA you get fined for not having them. :mad0259:

I've lived in Jersey, Viriginia and now Maryland as far as states which require front plates. Personally, I put them on and remain law-abiding. It's not a big deal to me but some folks obviously feel strongly enough about it to break the law over the front plates.

gorlando

In jersey its illegal to ride without it, but its a small ticket.. I'm not puttin it on, ill take my chances.. The car looks so stupid with it in.. or with the holes..I would rather get the magnetic one anyways