GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BBS Replicas....

checkdalevel1

Ready to race!
I purchased BBS CH replicas for my mk4. The wheels looked legit.

Only one issue. They were perfectlty hub centric and no matter how hard i tried to balance/mount them they always gave me a slight wobble. Which was still better then my bent OEM wheels so i just delt with it.

Hey if the wheel doesnt work you can easily turn around and sell them in the mk5 forum

TheOctane

Ready to race!
I'm sure your Insurance company will be thrilled to hear that your control arms are bent, your axle is broken and your undercarriage is damaged because you bought cheap aftermarket wheels that broke when your original wheels were just fine.

Wont matter...you can put completely incorrect wheels on your car and cause massive damage, 99% of all collision coverage policies will cover it.

The joke motto of my office is "Stupidy is covered"

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I seriously doubt your wheels are going to just up and fall apart one day like all horror stories you hear. Most of them are just people parroting what they read other people parroting.

Go to a VW show and take notice how many cars in the parking lot have bent LM reps, then walk through and notice how many cars have straight real BBS LMs. There's a big difference in quality here and I think that's enough to justify "people parroting" over.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Even my girlfriends Jetta is on BBS LM. Buy once cry once. Or if you're like me buy lots and lots of times plus trade and cry tears of joy.

twistid

Ready to race!
I'm sure your Insurance company will be thrilled to hear that your control arms are bent, your axle is broken and your undercarriage is damaged because you bought cheap aftermarket wheels that broke when your original wheels were just fine.

Yes, they will be thrilled to hear all that happened and then pay you ;) Like the other poster said, you can install "wobble" bolts to mount incorrect bolt patterns and if they fail insurance will still pay. I have had two coworkers lock breaks and hit the person in-front of them due to complete negligence and still receive payouts thanks to full coverage. :thumbsup:

And to the comment about bent wheels, that's why you generally try to avoid potholes and curbs ;) If you don't attempt to avoid road hazards then yes, you can count on damaged wheels regardless of manufacturer. :iono:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
And to the comment about bent wheels, that's why you generally try to avoid potholes and curbs ;) If you don't attempt to avoid road hazards then yes, you can count on damaged wheels regardless of manufacturer. :iono:

Lol I hit so many pot hot with my Works and BBS and they don't have a scuff on them. I'd put money on my subframe cracking before my wheels do.

DarkCloak

Banned
Yes, they will be thrilled to hear all that happened and then pay you ;) Like the other poster said, you can install "wobble" bolts to mount incorrect bolt patterns and if they fail insurance will still pay. I have had two coworkers lock breaks and hit the person in-front of them due to complete negligence and still receive payouts thanks to full coverage. :thumbsup:

Oh, there is another great idea. Instead of using wobble bolts I recommend one of the following ideas:
Best: Buying wheels in the appropriate 5x112 bolt pattern.
Good: Redrilling the wheels to a 5x112 pattern
OK: Running wheel adapters that change to 5 x112 lugs.
Worst: Running Wobble bolts:

Instead of spending money on reps you can buy quality wheels from Neuspeed, VMR, TSW, or Enkei for a reasonable price. Plus, there are numerous folks selling wheels for a reasonable price in the classfied section.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
What's wrong with wobble bolts?

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Lots of wheels get called "reps," but stuff like the OP posted is the lowest quality option you can find. If you can't find out anything about the casting process of the wheel, assume the worst. I was looking at a nice looking set of rep wheels on an S4 at my shop a couple days ago, and I noticed something kind of interesting. Check out the weights required to balance my wheels:

HRE wheel weights

And then these reps (that lots of people run):

AG wheel weights

He also was running no-name tires, so they might also contribute to the lopsidedness. Obviously that's not a deal-breaker considering how inexpensive and attractive these wheels are, but it says something about the manufacturing process. Does the better quality you get with BBS, Volk, HRE, etc. warrant spending dumb money on wheels like some of us have? Probably not. My point is just to show not only are cheap reps heavier and more brittle, they're also less reliable in other ways.

Forged wheels are much stronger, much lighter, much more reliable, and have much stronger warranties, but are also much much more expensive. There's a lot of middle ground between fake split ebay rims and $1k+ per wheel stuff that people would be probably be happiest with.

There's still only a small chance that you'll crack or bend any wheel if you're careful, but it is still much larger than if you pay a little bit more up front for better quality name brand wheels like DarkCloak listed, or even just nicer low-cost wheels like VMRs.

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
I heart fake splits, wheel gap, and mud flaps.

I recommend you post this question on Vortex if you want good advice.