GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sweaty Back?

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Not a problem here, as others have stated, a strong A/C unit, and we have had an average of 94 degrees for the last month with 4 days of triple digits, most of the time i am wearing the thin under Armour shirt and am very comfortable. The car is normally in the garage or in a shady spot in a parking lot, even if i have to walk a 1/4 mile and sun shade in the front window. :w00t:

DD89

Ready to race!
Leather just doesn't breathe, unless it's perforated. Thats life. I even get a bit hot with cloth seats sometimes.

Yea, in those 100 degree days here in NY, even in my cloth it gets a little moist sometimes.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Time to break out the Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

:lol:

I think the thing to do is get a sunshade for the front windshield (since i'm tinted 38% all around the other glass area).

Also, the days of extreme heat, a cracked sunroof should also help.

The towel approach may also help a bit.

I've had leather interiors on the last 4 cars owned, but for some reason the GTI seems worse from a "sweaty back" standpoint. Some of it might be the seats wrap around more, trapping more heat behind you - hence sweaty back.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, everyone.
:w00t:

plat

Ready to race!
Is it just me or do others find there backs get sweaty during hot weather driving with the leather seats?

I find myself leaning forward and pulling the shirt in and out to fan my back.

Never thought I'd find the need for ventilated seats but...

That's one of the reasons why I didn't order leather seats on my 2011 GTI. I had them in my '02 Accord Coupe and experienced the same thing during the summer months.

FlyingYeti

Passed Driver's Ed
I wanted a leather option because I think it keeps sweats out on the surface for later cleaning, whereas cloth seats absorb sweats to become permanent stink. But after reading these posts, I am having second thoughts. How's GTi cloth seats resist absorbing sweats?

FlyingYeti

Passed Driver's Ed
After reading the comments here, I had to check it out myself by dropping in at a dealer to do yet another test ride on a leather seat. Well, I did not notice it during previous drives, but today was very different. I really thought the heated seat setting was on when it was not. The seat got actually "hot" as if the heat setting was on. My current leather seat is more "open" design, and it does not get this hot. I wonder if it has anything to do with what is underneath the leather cover such as heavy foam that insulates and thus retains all the body heat. Now I am leaning towards cloth seats.

Dave G

Given that u already have the leather the only thing I can think of - and it's not an attractive solution - is to get one of those aftermarket seat covers/cushions that have fans in them, which u plug into the DC outlet and use when required.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I like my leather seats and i guess, a sweaty back is better than (for you SNL watchers) "Schweaty B***s" especially if you are on a date :lol:

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
Sweaty shirt-back and general lack of grip to hold you in place under hard cornering are two reasons why I've disliked leather seats in any of my previous cars.