GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new recall and a BMW 328i

hpowders

Ready to race!
I have to concur: drove several GTI's and the steering is a bit on the light side.

The best thing about my 328i is the steering-absolutely world class.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
We need to change the thread title to "which car has lighter steering". I was expecting to read about a recall.

hpowders

Ready to race!
I just picked up on what many others were writing.

Sorry! :)

alexg

Passed Driver's Ed
well .. you trying to compare a MK6 GTI to a 328i ? Kind of funny, but yesterday night this honda prelude and 328i were racing on the highway I was on, I followed them and I then raced the 328i I am stage 1 APR and he was stock im sure, it's not even funny how in 5th and then 6th gear I was able to eat him .. I'm 18, I wouldn't see myself in a 328i I'd look like a preppy spoiled kid and a 328 for a youngster is ... stupid, I find a GTI fits more then enough a kid who's 18 like me, yes I'm lucky and I find it's perfect. I also test drove a 328i, come on ... that thing is a joke, yes it's an inline 6 n/a but the interior is boring and steering awful! GTI even though is FWD is simply amazing, that car has potential and when it's well modified it is capable of good things.

resumé? GTI stage 1 > 328i

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The best thing about my 328i is the steering-absolutely world class.

In an "M" car, maybe. In a 328i - if my 335 was any indication - then I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree. World class steering is something more reserved for harder core cars, i.e. Elise, M cars, P-cars, even the GTI, as it feels a lot like the Elise (and yes, I've driven one a few times).

I have driven the newer 328is frequently. The steering effort is heavier and its resolve to recenter itself after turning is amazing. Feedback is also stunning, on par with the MK6 GTI with summer tires. The GTI steering is light, but insanely accurate and at 50 mph +, has equal road surface feedback to the 328s helm. Both cars are a tactile delight.

The reason why the GTI wins the "road quietness" trophy lies in BMW's fascination with horrid Run Flat Tires. A 3 series with regular summers or all-seasons would be equally as quiet as the GTI at frwy speed.

Also: I drove my 07 GTI for 3 years and didn't appreciate the heaviness of the steering because it came with minimal road surface feel. The Bimmer's rack has both heft and road feel... it is a treasure. My Tactile Opinion.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The reason why the GTI wins the "road quietness" trophy lies in BMW's fascination with horrid Run Flat Tires. A 3 series with regular summers or all-seasons would be equally as quiet as the GTI at frwy speed.

agreed. Same with the Corvette's and many other cars. I think the reasoning is the typical luxury buyer doesn't want to have to change a tire.

agreed. Same with the Corvette's and many other cars. I think the reasoning is the typical luxury buyer doesn't want to have to change a tire.

but they do get roadside help/ coverage...as do we for the first 3 years or so..?

I fear it may be because of weight distribution. The Minis came with a patch kit ...:laugh:

SoCalMK6GTI

Ready to race!
I took my GTI in today for the "rear wiper washer fix" and they told me there is a recall on my car requiring a software update. He asked me if I had APR installed since it would wipe it out when doing the update. Not sure what the update is for but I will find out and pass it along on this thread once I get my car back tomorrow.

They gave me a BMW 328i to drive in the meantime and my initial impressions are that it is a solid well handling car and can see why it almost always wins all comparison tests. Minuses are the steering is much heavier than the GTI and the black interior is very spartan for a $36,000 car. Not horrible but not even in the GTI's league. Interior noise is a little more than in the GTI at highway speeds as well. Guess you have to spend another $10,000 to get nicer interior touches but even then they still look a little drab. Meanwhile, I will just load up on miles in the Bimmer. LOL!!

So the software update, IIRC is just to allow the fan to run longer after the car has been shut off. I told them not to touch my ECU as I didn't want to deal with a week without my APR flash ;)

munkey

Ready to race!
So you want a 135i? LOL

Way more expensive, I know, I know....And the interior is nasty cheap.

Actually I want a 335i :)

Unfortunately the prices just made no sense. The CPO 2007 ones were only a couple grand below the 2008 ones ($32k vs $35k or thereabouts) and it just made no sense. I saved a bunch of money for now, got the GTI, and will get a 335i in a couple of years when I am making more money to spend $35k instead of closer to $25k.

I have decided though that I probably won't buy new again. If it wasn't for the new body style and the fact that used 2009s were almost the same price as new ones (plus lower interest on new) I would have saved more and got a used GTI. I'd rather buy used and drive it for a couple years or whatever and get a different car.

munkey

Ready to race!
I would much rather have a GTI over a 328i - no question about it price wise, performance wise, etc..

Agreed. But 335i >>>>>>>>>> GTI for me :( That car is a monster!

I must admit though that I am a BMW fanboy and I've never even owned one :mad0259: But I have driven so many different ones and I really believe the M3 is one of the best cars on the planet. I've never driven any other car where the instant I started driving everything just felt right. It made me feel like the best driver in the world lol

cswooten1117

Ready to race!
Agreed. But 335i >>>>>>>>>> GTI for me :( That car is a monster!

I must admit though that I am a BMW fanboy and I've never even owned one :mad0259: But I have driven so many different ones and I really believe the M3 is one of the best cars on the planet. I've never driven any other car where the instant I started driving everything just felt right. It made me feel like the best driver in the world lol

I understand completely. 2x

cnimativ

Ready to race!
I took my GTI in today for the "rear wiper washer fix" and they told me there is a recall on my car requiring a software update. He asked me if I had APR installed since it would wipe it out when doing the update. Not sure what the update is for but I will find out and pass it along on this thread once I get my car back tomorrow.

They gave me a BMW 328i to drive in the meantime and my initial impressions are that it is a solid well handling car and can see why it almost always wins all comparison tests. Minuses are the steering is much heavier than the GTI and the black interior is very spartan for a $36,000 car. Not horrible but not even in the GTI's league. Interior noise is a little more than in the GTI at highway speeds as well. Guess you have to spend another $10,000 to get nicer interior touches but even then they still look a little drab. Meanwhile, I will just load up on miles in the Bimmer. LOL!!

Is it a flash on Body Control Computer?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
335's are nice, just not the same feel as the GTI, but yes, with much more power and at a price. I am thoroughly enjoying the GTI's performance, feel, interior, and amazing mpg.