GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Converted to HID fogs

Ben1

Go Kart Champion
Where was the Ballast mounted?

Not underneath the car, would be dangerous in the wheelwell area so the install was wiring through the engine bay to wheel well directly to foglights.

In the engine bay area underneath the headlamps there is a 'shelf' area where the ballasts can be mounted and hidden away, cleanly.

terryxlee

Passed Driver's Ed
Planning to buy a set they look awesome, but how much of a difference is this HID set compared to let's say Nokya Yellow H8 bulbs?

Thanks

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
Planning to buy a set they look awesome, but how much of a difference is this HID set compared to let's say Nokya Yellow H8 bulbs?

Thanks

The Nokyas are pretty darn bright already but I have a friend with HID fogs in his GTI and he can drive at night without the headlights on.

terryxlee

Passed Driver's Ed
Ahh hard to resist not buying a set lol i was going to buy a heaper set of digital slim ballast hids but don't think it'll be worth the hassle if the pwn light on the dash comes on

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Pics of the kit please, especially interested in the details or how they are wired (and how they don't throw a code). I tried wiring my kit directly to the stock harness and they wouldn't stay lit, guess the stock wiring could not support the voltage/amperage needs.

gtipwnz

Ready to race!
I have the stock headlights, not the xenons. Would these match those? Or are your pics of xenon headlighs with the new fogs?

Ben1

Go Kart Champion
Pics of the kit please, especially interested in the details or how they are wired (and how they don't throw a code). I tried wiring my kit directly to the stock harness and they wouldn't stay lit, guess the stock wiring could not support the voltage/amperage needs.
Will definitely update the community with the kit - working out details on a more stealth version too. If I've got some time, I'll work up a DIY install specific to these guys.

Ahh hard to resist not buying a set lol i was going to buy a heaper set of digital slim ballast hids but don't think it'll be worth the hassle if the pwn light on the dash comes on
Yep, these ones work just fine :). Emailed you back earlier today!

I have the stock headlights, not the xenons. Would these match those? Or are your pics of xenon headlighs with the new fogs?
I have the stock headlights as well and I think from what Panda had said when I was in his rearview that the light at a "straight on" angle matched the stock headlamps well, but emit a nice yellow glow on the floor. I might have had philips osram main headlamp bulbs though, but I'll check. Panda's is with xenon headlamps and this hid kit. :w00t:

terryxlee

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, I just wanted to know if the HID Kit comes with a relay harness? Or is it not needed for our cars for fogs

Last edited:

Ben1

Go Kart Champion
Hey, I just wanted to know if the HID Kit comes with a relay harness? Or is it not needed for our cars for fogs
A relay harness? This kit is a one-piece ballast though, not sure what you mean by relays needed - it is purely plug and play as well. PM me if you have any questions though on the kit.

The kit is this guy right here on our site: http://www.p2spec.com/JDLighting-HID-Kit-H8-Compatible-6000K-p/jdl_hidh8.htm

but please DO send me a PM, as I offer discounts to those purchasing on the 6 :). And yes, I definitely need to take documentary pictures of how it's wired, but honestly... the kit just plugs and plays.

cmlteg

Passed Driver's Ed
just got mine today thanks again Ben, would b installing them this weekend

riccio76

Ready to race!
can someone post a picture of where to place the ballasts I cant seem to find a good spot. And what are the screws in the kit for? Mounting the ballasts?