GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 coming soon! How long for the stock clutch?

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
Well I've saved enough lunch money to go with the APR K04 and the S3 intercooler. I'm currenty stage 2 and have all the supporting mods. I live in southern cal where it hasn't been above 70 the past 2 weeks (S3 should suffice) I'll be installing it next week and will give a review after.

For now I thought it might be interesting to hear some thoughts on when you guys think my stock clutch will start to slip. By slip I mean unable to use the power I've paid for. Not slip as in I'll just stay off the throttle until I can replace it. After reading through the threads I've decided to try out the stock clutch with the K04 since its been flawless throughout stage 1 and stage 2.

A little background on my driving experience/habits. I've driven nothing but manual cars for 10 years. I'm not a professional driver by any means but I know what I'm doing. I was stock for 10k then went stage 1, stage 2 came at 20k. I'm currently at 26k with no issues. I would consider myself a normal enthusiast driver. I never launch the car but I do enjoy using the stage 2 power daily. Making wot passes on the freeway, some quick runs to 60 but never revving and launching in first or shifting gears like a boy racer. My car has never been tracked. My commute to work is mainly highway miles. Some stop and go traffic in OC but I'm usually on the road early enough to miss it.

The point of this thread is to get an idea of what you guys think of the stock clutch on the mk6 gti. I know this topic has been beat to death, but it bums me out to see people on the forum second guessing going stage 1 or stage 2 due to the "weak" clutch. Whether it's driving habits or different strength clutches coming from the factory is a mistery to me.

I know K04 is a huge step up in power and honestly I'm not expecting the stock clutch to last very long. I'm not going to baby the car, my driving habits will remain the same to ensure a relatively fair test.

Obviously this is not a statistical analysis of clutch failures analyzing multiple groups of cars/drivers. Just a friendly unofficial non-biased discussion. :)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
not long.

ryanrich1

Ready to race!
A day, maybe two?

Haha, no set date, but the same week my friend went from APR Stage 2 to K04 his clutch started slipping at WOT in the higher gears.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
I think your stock clutch has held this long on stage 2 due to crap Cali gas and softer torque due to detuning. I don't think it'll last long.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
A week? If you use the power and torque you will be paying for.

kurupt_hawaiian

Ready to race!
It's by luck.... My friends gti was k04 and the clutch lasted for a while (at least 5,000k). He traded it in a little while later for a Golf R... My cars clutch started slipping the day I went stage 2. Maybe you'll luck out and it'll hold for a while, but I'd get the clutch upgraded as soon as you can.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Enjoy the one time WOT

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
This has been discussed like a bazillion times. VW's stock clutch is not able to consistently and reliably hold more than "stg 1" power.

if you do upgrade the clutch and turbo, you wont regret it.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
op- after re reading, it seems like you know the clutch will not hold more power over the long run. Why do we need to have another pointless thread?

not trying to be a dick just saying.

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
Thanks Arin for the reply. Mainly street use as this is my DD at the moment.
I'd say it's up to your driving style. Harsh = gone. Soft = plenty of miles to come.

If you plant to replace it, what are you after, and what's your driving intent (street, track, drag, etc?)

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
I'm just here to share how well the stock clutch has held up for me and I don't baby my car be any means. Figured I might get some input from guys who have actually gone K04 and kept the stock clutch in the beginning.

Not to be a dick but maybe you should leave my thread and go read "which exhaust is best?"
op- after re reading, it seems like you know the clutch will not hold more power over the long run. Why do we need to have another pointless thread?

not trying to be a dick just saying.

Muskie

Go Kart Champion
I've drive a KO4 with a stock clutch and it will slip if you use it. It isn't fun trying to drive a car with power and a slipping clutch. I'd save up for both and do it all at once.

I'd say plan on replacing it within 3 months if you want to enjoy the power

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MooreHeat

Ready to race!
Think you need to get something better than S3 Intercooler for K04.