GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking Rear Window Washer Technical Analysis

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
There is a separate control for the rear wiper and washer. You push the stalk away from you and the rear wiper will activate. Press the stalk back while the rear wiper is activated and you will engage the washer.
Oh I never knew that no wonder mine doesn't leak. :bonk: :clap: :D

RACER00

Passed Driver's Ed
There was a question about the cap, I found it in the ACE, in the hardware bits (nuts, bolts and screw bins) and it is called a screw cover/cap. They are in different sizes and colours so pick the black (or the one that most fits I guess). They are a cheap temp fix to an aggrivating little problem. I had a Ford Focus that never had this problem, as a matter of fact I drove the crap out of that car and never once had it repaired (warranty and not). If anyone at Volkswagen reads this......."What's up!".

sfitalianguy

Passed Driver's Ed
good to know, because really, this whole rear washer drama isn't happening to me (fingers crossed) YET. But yes, I haven't used the washer much in 3 months of ownership.

well, I might have jinxed it. Yesterday on the freeway it leaked visibly without me ever touching the stalk. In fact as I said, I haven't used the rear wiper, nor the washer, for weeks. I clearly saw it leak and it wetted the window. Not enough (and it was a warm day, so it dried relatively quickly) to reach the metal, but still bothersome.

I wonder if it's related to the fact that the car sat in hot sunny weather all day. It's been a fugly summer here in SF, so it was one of the rare summer days.

Unless it starts leaking regularly, I'll just tell the service advisor next time I go to the stealership. Otherwise they'll see me sooner.

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
I just got my car back a week ago from the TSB fix for the washer fluid and it's still leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting a rubber cap to cover it since I don't use it anyway

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
There was a question about the cap, I found it in the ACE, in the hardware bits (nuts, bolts and screw bins) and it is called a screw cover/cap. They are in different sizes and colours so pick the black (or the one that most fits I guess). They are a cheap temp fix to an aggrivating little problem. I had a Ford Focus that never had this problem, as a matter of fact I drove the crap out of that car and never once had it repaired (warranty and not). If anyone at Volkswagen reads this......."What's up!".

My local ACE store didn't have any of them...

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
I think mine stopped leaking after I took out my rear wiper, maybe since I had to disconnect few things.

Rickfactor

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2011 leaked after I used the rear sprayer.

However, it has not leaked since I used the front sprayer. I have not checked and Im not sure how they are linked with the pump or resevoire but perhaps using the front a few times relieves some of the pressure in the system that might cause the drip ?

devondunphy

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm taking mine in for the TSB Saturday morning, are they actually going to fix something or are they wasting my Saturday morning...

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
I'm taking mine in for the TSB Saturday morning, are they actually going to fix something or are they wasting my Saturday morning...

It will still leak, though less will leak out before it finally stops, since the amount of fluid will be limited to the length of tubing between the back of the check valve and the nozzle.

That cycle of fun will start all over again the next time you use your rear window washer.

Assuming there is a "final fix," it could involve fitting the car with a redesigned rear spoiler, since there's likely not enough room inside of the existing spoiler to accommodate a properly designed part (integral check valve and pray nozzle using a common, ABS plastic housing).

Think it's bad now?

Wait 'till you see what the alcohol in the washer fluid ends up doing to your hatch's clear coat over time.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion

Mine was fixed and has been fine ever since.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
why cant we just run non-alcoholic washer fluid?

Do you know of any company who sells a readily available, non-alcohol based washer fluid?

The alcohol prevents the washer fluid from freezing in cold temperatures. It generally comprises roughly 40% (by weight) of the washer fluid. It's also a solvent (helps dissolve stuck on bugs) and evaporates quickly.

kungfudill

Ready to race!
I also have the rear window wee problem. (this is also posted in another location on this site) After 3 trips to the dealer (first to diagnose the problem,,,,oh gee it does wee on the window, second to the TSB and valve install,,,,,still wees on window, and third back to dealer,,,,,oh gee it still wee and we don't know what to do now) it still wees.....but I found a solution (you see, I live in the desert....don't need no stinkin rear washer), a little soft plastic cap I found at my local ACE Hardware for about 50 cents (see photo). No more wee and if I do have to use it in the winter or somthin, I just pop it off. Now this solution won't work if your turbo craps out but hopefully the dealer can fix that.

I found one at my local ACE, in the screws and bolts section, and it was called a "thread protector".

Raceroo found a good solution; it is a perfect fit.

AMR

Bulletin from VW

I was at Volkswagen of Downtown L.A. yesterday to get my complimentary 90 day service which went well. Car drives amazing! However, like all of you here, my rear washer leaked as I drove my brand new car off the lot. I went and bought the little black screw cap for $0.17 at True Value Hardware and the problem was solved.
Yesterday, as part of the check, the tech removed the cap and never put it back on. Again, as I drove away with the car the nozzle peed all over the place. I drove back into service and my little cap was retrieved by my service advisor. (in the trash!!!)
I had totally forgotten about the issue because of the quick fix. So after he picked my cap out of the trash I was explaining what I had done to "fix" the problem.... THEN, after my complaint he tells me that VW USA has issued a "Bulletin", NOT a "recall" as of yet. If you complain they will fix it under warranty. Like I said, I did the quick fix and forgot about it but it is still an issue. So if you choose to get the repair done, they say it will eliminate the problem. We shall see...