GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Salt belt... Rust proofing?

koolgreen

Ready to race!
As others have said, I wouldn't do it. Oil sprays are messy. Just power wash frequently in the winter.

Also, the wheel wells are absorbent now...
I think it would soak up that oil as opposed to the old wheel wells that were solid plastic.

Bender1

Banned
If you're worried about this you could always go to...oh can't believe I am going to type this...touchless carwash lol...DON'T FLAME FOR THAT LOL. It's just a suggestion though.

Haha!
Touchless automatics are actually great because of the high pressure spray underneath.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Has anyone ever taken vw up on this?
and if so, how bad does it have to be to get it fixed by them?
When I hear perforation, does that mean the rust has to burn a hole right through the panel before they will fix it??

I have some surface rust and they weren't willing to fix it..

Rust is Rust, I'd hold them against that. They're supposed to fix ANY rust spots.

pvivino

Ready to race!
Rust is Rust, I'd hold them against that. They're supposed to fix ANY rust spots.

I haven't read the details of the VW rust warranty but most manufacturers warranties are for rust through not for surface rust. It can take years to go from surface rust to rust-through.

Tailwagger

Ready to race!
^Reasoning?

The interesting thing about this car is that for all the bitching and moaning about little quality issues, the underside is, while not all that aerodynamic, quite cleanly done and dare I say beautiful. The engineers have chosen to spend there nickels where they count, not necessarily where you look. Even if undercoating were worthwhile, which it isnt, to properly treat the car would require tearing the whole thing apart. Put your car on a lift and take a look. You'll see what I mean. Its quite inspiring.

path

Ready to race!
this is my third VW in the past 14 years, i have had zero rust issues...i don't even wash my car frequently.

i would not worry about it