GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
Giuseppe
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 MKVI GTI
APR Stage 1 tune

Hello everyone,

I live in Manitoba, Canada so as you can imagine I don't have a lot of options when it comes to tunes. The only APR dealer in Manitoba quoted me $895 Canadian dollars for stage 1. They said I'd get free stage two if I bought the down pipe. $895 seems like a lot. Am I wrong? Is that the typical cost?

They quoted me $495 for the Carbonio intake (stage 1) and $350 (stage 2). $1,800 for the APR inter cooler. I'm hoping that some of you Canadians who tuned your cars will have an idea if these prices are typical.

Thank you in advance!

G
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
Giuseppe
Drag Race Newbie

Also! He suggested I get the 94 tune and run 91 gas. 94 gas is difficult to find in Manitoba. They said people do this all the time and are fine. Any comments on this?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
MTBFL1
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Stage II GTI
I'm in the states so I probably won't be too much help, but I'll try the best I can using a currency converter:
Here, a stage 1 Carbonio costs about $325 USD (about $426 CAD). The stage 2 part is $225 USD (about $295 CAD) and the intercooler is $1050 USD (about $1376 CAD).

A stage 1 tune with only one file in the U.S. costs $600 USD (~$787 CAD).

There's a possibility that your prices are higher due to it being a foreign market, or maybe they include labor, but they seem a little steep. I hope someone from Canada chimes in lol

Flickr
MTBFL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
BenM@Unitronic

Drives: 1.8T
Have you looked into Unitronic software and hardware options?

stage 1 : 550 $ can
Uniconnect+ 198.99$ : that will allow you to flash your car at home without the need of a dealer ( save on labor cost). It will also allow you to upgrade to stage 1+ and stage 2 whenever you need.

Just to compare some price the intercooler is : 909.99$ can

It's also a canadian based company just to let you know!
BenM@Unitronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
Thank you in advance!

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM@Unitronic View Post
Hes right go Unitronic for sure. APR's having problems with their tune right now anyway.
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Giuseppe
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM@Unitronic View Post
Have you looked into Unitronic software and hardware options?

stage 1 : 550 $ can
Uniconnect+ 198.99$ : that will allow you to flash your car at home without the need of a dealer ( save on labor cost). It will also allow you to upgrade to stage 1+ and stage 2 whenever you need.

Just to compare some price the intercooler is : 909.99$ can

Thank you for the info. I was considering Unitronic but the closest dealers are in Alberta or Ontario. There's a few in northern US but it still requires a lot of driving which I don't really have time for. I considered the Uniconnect+ a few times now. However, I read that you have to go into a dealer to get the car tuned in order to work with the Uniconnect in the first place. Am I wrong?

So I would have to buy the Uniconnect+ for $198.99 and then purchase the tune on top of that correct? And stage 1+ and 2 would be an additional charge?

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
BenM@Unitronic

Drives: 1.8T
Quote:
Thank you for the info. I was considering Unitronic but the closest dealers are in Alberta or Ontario. There's a few in northern US but it still requires a lot of driving which I don't really have time for. I considered the Uniconnect+ a few times now. However, I read that you have to go into a dealer to get the car tuned in order to work with the Uniconnect in the first place. Am I wrong?

So I would have to buy the Uniconnect+ for $198.99 and then purchase the tune on top of that correct? And stage 1+ and 2 would be an additional charge?

Thanks for the feedback guys.
No you don’t have to go originally to a dealer in order to get the first tune. You could get in touch with one of your closest dealer and they would ship everything to you directly. This is one of the greatest thing about Uniconnect+.

Yes you are right , if you want to upgrade later on you would have to purchase the upgrade.
BenM@Unitronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Giuseppe
Drag Race Newbie

So, if I want to go stage 2 eventually it probably makes more sense for me to save up for the down pipe and intake then go straight to stage 2 right? Otherwise I have to buy stage 1 then spend another ~$650 for stage 2. What would you guys suggest?
Old 06-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
John@Unitronic
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: MK3 TTRS
Quote:
So, if I want to go stage 2 eventually it probably makes more sense for me to save up for the down pipe and intake then go straight to stage 2 right? Otherwise I have to buy stage 1 then spend another ~$650 for stage 2. What would you guys suggest?
To upgrade from Stage 1+ to Stage 2, it is $100. We have an upgrade pricing chart on our website under your vehicle's year, make, model, and engine that reviews the pricing to upgrade.
John@Unitronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Andrew2834
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 Vw Gti MT Cobb Stage 1
Not sure how you would feel about eurodyne. Buddy of mine has it, he just paid 600 and had it shipped to his door and it came with a kit to install the tune himself. No driving required. That will save you some. Or you can go Cobb?
Andrew2834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
mamock116
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI MT
Skip the intake and use the cash for a downpipe. Intakes only add like 5hp.
mamock116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 130k+
I would shop around for a good used intake, it is worthwhile for stage 1. Get a nice catback if you want sound and skip the downpipe. Being in Canada, I would skip the intercooler too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.

Last edited by zrickety; 06-05-2016 at 10:47 AM.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
Giuseppe
Drag Race Newbie

I just bought a used Carbonio 1 off kijiji for $250. So intake is good to go. I'm thinking about saving up for a down pipe next then going straight to stage 2. No use in wasting $100-150 upgrading from stage 1 to stage 2 in 3-6 months.

I always wondered how a 3" down pipe gives hp benefit when the cat back is still 2.5" or whatever. Wouldn't the cat back restrict exhaust?