GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
narwhal
Newbie
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: santa clara, ca
Posts: 4
Buying GTI

I found a deal for a CPO 2011 GTI, 18k, 4 dr, convenience pkg, 6 spd manual, for $22,988. CarFax is clean, and being CPO makes me believe that it's in good condition. How does this deal seem?
I can go for a max of about $20,000. Do you think I can get it down to that price? Dealer fees included. Would it help a fair amount if I pay for it all upfront without loans?

It's the first car I've ever bought, so what's the best way to go about negotiating? The dealer is about a 2 hour drive from me, so it's not easy to go talk to them, I think email will probably work best.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by narwhal; 01-19-2013 at 10:21 PM.
narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
jni3
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
jni3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 397
a month ago i seen a new 2012 with conv pkg, 2dr, 6mt for under 24k. if you could get them down to 20k OTD, it wouldn't be bad. if you email it'll be a waiting game and you really don't get your point across. call them and be straight up. then you aren't wasting anymore time and they'll know where you stand. do you have the 20k cash? if so, you can call and tell them you got 20 big for that car OTD. if they don't bite, tell them to call you when they can. good luck.
__________________
2012 Jetta Sportwagen 4dr DSG TDI - wife
2012 Golf 2dr HB Man TDI w/ Tech Pkg - mine
jni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
narwhal
Newbie
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: santa clara, ca
Posts: 4
Yeah it would be all cash. I really want to get it under 20, but I don't want them to decline and then have to give them another offer. I feel like it won't have same effect as just giving them one offer. Should I leave it at 20 or do you think I can get it for less?
I'll be calling later this week and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks
narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
jni3
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
jni3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 397
always shoot for less. but don't give them your highest offer. don't go in planning on walking out with the car. because if they don't give in, you'll be disappointed when you leave. you can get a feel of their attitude within the first couple minutes and know if you're gonna get the car. be prepared to just walk out. there are other good deals out there that you might not have found yet.
when i bought both of my 2012's we went to several different dealerships. when they wasted my time, i let them know and walked out. understand they're in the business of making money and your in the business of not getting robbed. don't wait too long to call.
__________________
2012 Jetta Sportwagen 4dr DSG TDI - wife
2012 Golf 2dr HB Man TDI w/ Tech Pkg - mine
jni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
MaliciousMK6
Formula 3000 Driver
 
MaliciousMK6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Tornado Red 2Dr 6MT GTI
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,332
Keep in mind both of you live in very different areas....I would say that price is decent, not great but not bad. There wont be much wiggle room with that price definitely not $2.9k

IMO $21,000+tax/fees would be decent.
MaliciousMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
lilfleck
Moderator
 
Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,113
From my experience, they won't budge that much on CPO. When they CPO it, they pay for that out of dealer cost. At 20k OTD, I'm not sure they're making much on it (if any). If you can get it, I would go for it. CPO add the value.
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
myMK6fool
Rally Car Champion
 
myMK6fool's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI CSG 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seahawks
Posts: 321
Play the dealer game. Having more than 1 option will not leave you as disappointed as getting your heart set on one. Get some options from 2 or 3 dealers - then target the car you really want. Now you can bullshit them on other deals you are getting. Don't sound far fetched though. They do this everyday.
myMK6fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Hyun
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 CW 4Dr GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SF
Posts: 86
Doesn't hurt to call the dealer to feel them out. When I bought my new GTI, I got the price I wanted over the phone, it was just a matter of checking out the car and making the decision.

I personally don't trust carfax, based on the fact that it didn't keep a history of a friends car and the million problems that it had (about 6 accidents).

Good luck
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.