GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
proffsionl

Drives: 2011 GTI Autobahn
Attack of the gravel...

So, I am going down the highway (in the middle of nowhere) when a gravel truck I'm passing starts leaking gravel....all over my car (at 70 mph).

So, now I have about a dozen little rock chips in my paint on the front bumper, hood, and quarter panel (some down to the metal).

The car is not even a month old and this just pissed me off beyond belief. Anyway, now I have to figure out my options for fixing it. I really don't want a total respray but would invite any ideas for touch-ups, etc.

Argh!!!
proffsionl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Krazy_Z
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 6MT
Send a message via MSN to Krazy_Z
This sucks man you may be able to get a professional touch up done for a few bills. I have seen some touch ups done and you with how new they are you will never even notice that there was one even done.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Z View Post
This sucks man you may be able to get a professional touch up done for a few bills. I have seen some touch ups done and you with how new they are you will never even notice that there was one even done.
Yup - new cars definitely take touchups better than old.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
boostedmk6
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Take it to a reputable body shop. Touch up paint always comes out like shit.

GTA Detailing & Paint Correction
boostedmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
hobbes
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Mk5 GTI DSG
Did you get the license plate of the truck? It's supposed to be illegal for shit to come flying off of your vehicle. If you did, report it to the cops and get the driver to pay for it.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Bruh Man
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Muark 6
Sorry to hear man, I'm dreading the night I get stuck behind one of our salt trucks this winter. I would definitely follow up on the plate # if you got it, worth a shot you know.
Bruh Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
SVS
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Thats a bummer, really sorry to hear that.

I'd explore touch-up as the first option for sure, unless the number and severity of the chips makes a complete panel paint a more viable option. Good luck either way.
SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
coreypgh
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 Mk6 GTI, Candy White
Were you able to spot the name of the trucking company? This happened to my girlfriend and I in her MINI S. We were able to call the company and give them a truck number. They confirmed it's route, and made good by paying for the repair to the large chip in our windshield. Said we weren't the first to call about it that day.
coreypgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
PHO_TOE
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6-Black-DSG-Dynaudio-Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by proffsionl View Post
So, I am going down the highway (in the middle of nowhere) when a gravel truck I'm passing starts leaking gravel....all over my car (at 70 mph).
This is why I have a 0 deductible on comprehensive and $250 on collision - I'd be paying zero out of pocket whichever route they went - food for thought OP - having good coverage is key.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
NEOHMark
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 Black MkVI
I would be extremely leery of disturbing the integrity of the original paint. No matter how good the body shop is, they don't have the tools to re-galvenize steel (if they have to take it down to bare metal), or get a finish anywhere near as orange-peel-free as the factory. If the chips are normal sized, and you don't glom too much of it on, touch up paint can be almost undetectable. You get any amount of orange peel on the car from a 'journeyman' body shop? My guess is you'll regret it. I just waxed ours yesterday and I continue to marvel at how pure the finish is.

If you absolutely want to get it sprayed, if it were me, I'd search out the absolute best, most studly custom paint shop in the region to get it done.
NEOHMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
plac

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOHMark View Post
I would be extremely leery of disturbing the integrity of the original paint. No matter how good the body shop is, they don't have the tools to re-galvenize steel (if they have to take it down to bare metal), or get a finish anywhere near as orange-peel-free as the factory. If the chips are normal sized, and you don't glom too much of it on, touch up paint can be almost undetectable. You get any amount of orange peel on the car from a 'journeyman' body shop? My guess is you'll regret it. I just waxed ours yesterday and I continue to marvel at how pure the finish is.

If you absolutely want to get it sprayed, if it were me, I'd search out the absolute best, most studly custom paint shop in the region to get it done.
+1. The body shops just dont have the same baking techiques to get the paint as nice as original. Although I did have pretty good luck on my Alpine white 135i when I got my rear bumper corner resprayed once..
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
FN in MT
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI, 04 Duc Monster, 98 Tahoe
So SAD.

Welcome to MY world. I think my 2010 was 2 months old and I had a similar situation, though my rock was golfball sized...denting my hood and damaging it down to the bare metal. Then a few weeks later...smashed W/S!!

Unsure about TX but many states have what they call "loaded so as to spill" statutes. Damage from an illegally loaded vehicle is the liability of the violator.

FN
FN in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
THX-1138
Autocross Champion

Drives: MKVI GTI/4DR/6SP/BLK
My question to the OP or anyone in a similar situation, why didn't you slow down to gain distance from the dump truck? You probably saw a couple of pebbles coming out of it to give you ample warning sign to slow down and avoid the truck. I place my self a nice distance from any truck or pickup that appears to have carried debris with them, not just for paint damage but safety and avoiding chipped or broken front windshield.
THX-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote