GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
harddrivin1le
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Wish it had an aluminum engine block and aluminum front uprights...

VW could knock roughly 60 pounds off of the GTI's front end with an aluminum engine block.

They could knock more weight off the front end (and, more importantly, the un-sprung weight of the front suspension) by specifying the Passat's aluminum uprights...

These combined changes would result in a lighter, better handling car and would also yield small gains in acceleration, braking and fuel economy - all at very little expense.

Iron engine blocks are mostly a thing of the past now and I'm surprised that they didn't specify one during the most recent 2.0 redesign.
harddrivin1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Couldof wouldof shouldof

I do agree though. Iron blocks are almost a thing of the past. I'm surprised aluminum blocks popped up so late actually.

But I guess VW engineers think that with forced induction engines you must have a strong block to handle all of the "pressure" even though an aluminum block would hold the stock amount of boost perfectly.

But more than that, it's probably cost. Maybe the premium was too much for them at the time. Who knows.
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
terryxlee
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW 2 DOOR GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddrivin1le View Post
VW could knock roughly 60 pounds off of the GTI's front end with an aluminum engine block.

They could knock more weight off the front end (and, more importantly, the un-sprung weight of the front suspension) by specifying the Passat's aluminum uprights...

These combined changes would result in a lighter, better handling car and would also yield small gains in acceleration, braking and fuel economy - all at very little expense.

Iron engine blocks are mostly a thing of the past now and I'm surprised that they didn't specify one during the most recent 2.0 redesign.
On the bright side we can chip safely without worrying about the engine block cracking
terryxlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
potatohead
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, CSG 6M 2dr
Sure they could, but the car would also cost more.

For Vag-Com/VCDS service in Vancouver/Surrey area, PM me (MkV/MkVI cars only).
potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
PHO_TOE
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6-Black-DSG-Dynaudio-Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryxlee View Post
On the bright side we can chip safely without worrying about the engine block cracking
Just the front uprights being aluminum would save about 60 lbs - I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket solution for this by now.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
pedobear
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: TDI Golf
It's all about cost. The most cost effective way to make these cars is what VW is all about. Plus, the cast iron engine block is damn near bulletproof. Unless you are gonna go race for competition, I wouldn't worry about 60 pounds in your DD.
pedobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
jmblur
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG
Be glad for that anchor up front if you plan on doing anythig more than stg1. You'll bend rods before you crack the block.

As for uprights, I'm sure they wouldn't fit easily- the whole subframe geometry (Whig is aluminum, fwiw) is totally different than the passat. Al is much more expensive than steel (mostly due to manufacturing rather than raw material), so it adds a surprising amount of cost, especially on relatively low volume models like the gti.

2010 MKVI GTI
CSG :: DSG :: HID :: Dynaudio :: Sunroof
18" VW Vision V (summer) :: 17" Detroits (winter) :: P3cars Digital Boost Gauge :: S2T DSG Paddle Shifters :: Euroswitch :: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Homelink (install soon)
jmblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Whafrodamus
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 6 MT- Black
Send a message via AIM to Whafrodamus
You can always go on a diet.
Whafrodamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Big Swede
Ready to race!

Drives: MK6 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whafrodamus View Post
You can always go on a diet.
That wouldn't help the weight balance of the car as much. The block is much farther forward so losing weight their would help handling and steering.

Let's not act like the engine is a hp monster that could crack an aluminum block, just about every turbo engine around makes way more power with an aluminum block. Jeez even Hyundai makes 267 hp with the same displacement and gets better mileage in a much bigger car.
Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
s2kguy
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI, United Gray, 4 Dr, DSG
If the front weight was much less, I'd be stuck at every stop light. With 9,000 miles, my GTI has started slipping and squealing tires nearly every time I start to move. I have to be very careful with the throttle. I don't think its the APR stage 1 as I'm trying to drive conservatively. Sure hate the Conti's on the Denvers.
s2kguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Lainford Express

Drives: 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis
I'm more concerned about the lack of a proper lsd. Probably the biggest thing keeping me from getting one.
Lainford Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
iron block = strong n bulletproof, naturally sound deadening, but heavy.
al block = strong but more vibes and noise.

don't make a difference to me... makes me feel more comfortable about ripping into boost often...
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainford Express View Post
I'm more concerned about the lack of a proper lsd. Probably the biggest thing keeping me from getting one.
keep on adding weight ...
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote