GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #127
patrickj
Oval Champion

Drives: 2014 Tiguan R-line
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickit View Post
If it makes you happy, get it. If you are going to worry about others thinking you are driving an cheap VW, buy something else
Absolutely agree. I got my R in April of last year, took it to stage 2 and about to go 2+ and absolutely love it. If you enjoy it and drive it hard, you are not too old. I'm 48 today.
patrickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #128
blueste
Autocross Newbie

Drives: '15 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
Absolutely agree. I got my R in April of last year, took it to stage 2 and about to go 2+ and absolutely love it. If you enjoy it and drive it hard, you are not too old. I'm 48 today.
As in today, today? Happy birthday!
blueste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #129
patrickj
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueste View Post
As in today, today? Happy birthday!
Yep, today. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #130
patrickj
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibid View Post
With how many 20somethings today that can't even drive a stick, why would you even think you are too old for an R?
No joke. The dealer I take my car to for service has techs that cannot drive a stick. I was like WTF? Why would you even hire someone that can't drive a stick? Don't let them near my car!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #131
ibid
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf R 4dr Base w/2010 TDIsold
^ on the bright side, manual transmission is becoming a cheap built-in theft prevention measure (haha)
ibid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #132
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
Quote:
No joke. The dealer I take my car to for service has techs that cannot drive a stick. I was like WTF? Why would you even hire someone that can't drive a stick? Don't let them near my car!!!
Haha the guy who sold my car learned how to drive stick at one of the manual cars for first 3 months when he started working there. He should work for mercedes since pretty much non of their cars doesnt come with stick anymore

Sent from the iPhone
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #133
SpaceyJacey
Oval Champion

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Happy Birthday!
SpaceyJacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #134
ides1056
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2013 Golf R
I am 56, and still a fucking kid. The car proves that. In my adult brain, cars are mere tools to get me from point A to B. But the kid in me has always had a hankering for a bit of dash. Guess this is my midlifecrisis car...
ides1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #135
Figo
Go Kart Champion

Drives: B8 S4 / Golf R
I've had the R for a few months and I'm 26. To be honest I consider the car to be a grown up "hot hatch". I would want this car even if i was in my 40s along w/ my S4. In my search for my next daily driver I wanted something that was turbo and AWD. With those 2 things said, the first thing that came to my mind was a Subaru WRX/STI but the thought of seeing high school kids driving it everywhere was a turn off - So that's one of the main reasons I got the R, not to mention the interior spanks the hell out of the subaru and to me its 10x more comfy. It's a much better daily driver for my type of use.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #136
Csg_r
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2013 CSG R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
I've had the R for a few months and I'm 26. To be honest I consider the car to be a grown up "hot hatch". I would want this car even if i was in my 40s along w/ my S4. In my search for my next daily driver I wanted something that was turbo and AWD. With those 2 things said, the first thing that came to my mind was a Subaru WRX/STI but the thought of seeing high school kids driving it everywhere was a turn off - So that's one of the main reasons I got the R, not to mention the interior spanks the hell out of the subaru and to me its 10x more comfy. It's a much better daily driver for my type of use.
100% agree with you as I traded my 13 sti hatch for R.
Csg_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #137
mikeee
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: mkv gti, mkvi gti.
Ohh shizz. I'm 21 :b & yes I pay for my car payments myself.
mikeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #138
cdw63
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueste View Post

In her defense, she's been really good about it. Even though she doesn't like the style, says it's a 20 something car... she has said all along, "It's your car, you'll be driving it, get what you want." All with the roll of her eyes.
My wife was the same way, thought the R was a little boyish, fought me up until I signed the papers. After 3 months of ownership and completing stage 2+ mods next week, she loves to drive the car every chance she gets.

She even liked driving it when I only had the B&B dp portion of the exhaust installed (sounded like a civic fart can north of 3.5K).

I will be 50 in October!
cdw63 is offline   Reply With Quote