GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
aw614
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehancock View Post
I think I read in one of the older threads that when you park the dsg the car can roll and take up slack in the timing chain and cause more stress on the tensioner. 6MT drivers generally use their parking brake. Someone advised dsg owners to use their parking brakes after that. I have absolutely no proof to back that up and I have no idea if it even matters. The survey probably asks to help determine if there is a correlation between transmission type and failure rate.
I heard this too, I believe the guy I sold a wheel to told me he could notice it when he put it in park.

But wasn't Zimmy's gti a manual and he had the timing chain failure?
aw614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
It was already discussed that manual/auto doesn't seem to have much of an effect since according to DBest most failures are in Tiguans and those are autos
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
With a DSG when you put it in park it usually rolls alittle, it does not roll untill the stress is on the motor... It'll roll untill the massive parking pawl attached to the trans case drops into one of the big fucking teeth on the diff. The resistance of the engine is not how a DSG "parks"
Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
SweetJones_29
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 4 DR CSG DSG
There has not been anyone with this issue chime in so far.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #19
racinrabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 GTI 2Dr
Talked to a friend of mine who is a master certified tech and shop foreman at a local dealership about how many of these tensioner failures he has seen since the tsi came out in 2008.5 until today.

His response....was 1. He has seen 1 out of thousands and thousands of TSI equipped VW's.

Is it possible that this can happen to you? Yes. Is there anything you can do to prevent it? Probably not. Keep up with you oil changes, avoid short trips on a cold motor/oil and take care of your car.
racinrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #20
theburningclutch
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 6M 2dr Black
I just figured that my car was more likely to get totaled by Lindsey Lohan running into me rather than a timing tensioner failure. Plus, my car has updated tensioners.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
sean96gsr
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBESTGTI View Post
Working as a VW tech since long before the TSI was released I've seen more 50K+ tsi's that are fine than I can count. I've seen a few tensioner fail, almost always on Tiguans. The new dealer I moved to in Colorado has never had a TSI with a failed tensioner come in.

In reality the tensioner problem is nowhere near the wide spread epidemic the Internet is trying to pretend it is. If it wasn't for the Internet I'm willing to bet damn near nobody would even be talking about it because its not common enough to warrant the attention it's getting.
I should just listen to you and stop worrying. This anxiety is one of the few negative effects a forum can have.
sean96gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 130k+
APR told me they use the latest revised tensioner. They didn't seem concerned about it all. That said, I am still going to change mine. The sludge may be an issue, but I believe the failures are more weak retainers that break. The chain should not go slack even without oil pressure.
And DBEST is right, a DSG in park is essentially disconnected from the engine. Only a MT in gear would put pressure on the engine.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote