GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #29
MCPunk79
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 13 GTI, 06 Evo IX, 08 Stang, 00 SI
Doing some research on APR's ECU remapping... who has used the EMCS? Does that function/option come with all APR tunes or is it an alternate program switching system? It states you can program the ECU back to stock or to other tunes available. This sounds similar to a MAP switch in which you could switch from E85 to pump gas on other cars (Lancer Evolution). Can this be done with the US spec GTI?

Because I don't have a reputable, experienced GTI tuner, I'd have to ship my ECU to APR to have it remapped, then have it sent back. I had to have this done with my Mustangs computer as well... send it to ROUSH after the supercharger was installed.
MCPunk79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #30
johnny_p
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Nice SVTF

I actually do still drive a MK6
johnny_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
MCPunk79
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
Nice SVTF
Thanks, I miss my FoFo... but i'm excited to move on up!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #32
MCPunk79
Go Kart Newbie

Car is in, I'll be picking it up Friday the 17th... I had a friend take a few pictures as he lives in the town I'm picking it up in; Duluth, MN.

Here are some teasers:

Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #33
djaikon
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Congrats! You're gonna love it.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #34
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
No autobahn

But congrats anyways
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #35
Poltergeist
FIA GT Champion

Drives: The Pocket Rocket Mk6
welcome

I agree with your opinion on the Si...I had a EK9 before and it was such a good car. slow, crappy but somehow I just loved it!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #36
MCPunk79
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
welcome

I agree with your opinion on the Si...I had a EK9 before and it was such a good car. slow, crappy but somehow I just loved it!

True, unless you're in VTEC all the time, the car is just a simple "economy car". I actually want to run my Civic Si this fall and possibly sell it next Spring. It sure is a beautiful car however...
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #37
MCPunk79
Go Kart Newbie

I've had some time with the car, running it during some nice days and to/from work. It's just simply AMAZING. It without question is the best automatic gearbox/transmission I've ever experienced. The handling on it is also top of the line, i've used it on some tight corners when the chance was given. I've taken it on a few longer trips, to and from the dealership, which is a 60 mile trip one way, and it's highway performance along with MPG are just as good as the rest of the car. At this point, i'm VERY, VERY satisfied with my purchase. I can't say right now when the modifying will begin, as I'm still picking up parts for my Lancer Evolution. Once winter starts here in MN. I'll be saving up my pennies and looking for toys come spring.

Thanks for reading the thread!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
MBorVW
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2015 VW GTI 4dr SE DSG
If you're amazed now you may just go in your pants when you get tuned!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #39
Sabotage
Oval Newbie

Drives: CW 11 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPunk79 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I would have picked up the manual, if I was the only one driving it... but as stated the car is a DD and for the whole family. I have enough manual cars at this point to get my thrills from.

I really, really considered the ST, but I would never pick up a first year model... and again, being they only offered it in a manual, I couldn't go that route. The automatic in the Focus SE and SEL models are just deplorable compared to the GTI, and with all the issues they've had with it recently, it was one of the main reasons I went with the dual clutch auto on the GTI. I really think the tangerine scream ST would have complemented my grabber orange Stang quite well, but all in all, after doing some research and some test driving, the GTI is a winner HANDS DOWN! If I could get another manual tranny car, I would have went for the Golf "R" over anything, including the ST. I think an AWD car in MN. would have made sense.
I actually sat in and really got a good close up look at the ST in Carlisle, PA. last month at the Ford Nationals. A really great looking car that was VERY comfortable. But, it still didn't match up to the build quality of the German engineered GTI.

My SI after a trade in for an 02 PT Cruiser was just over 7K. I've had offers of near double that for the car. Especially for those enthusiasts who drooled over the EBP Em1 when they were in high school... My SI is a perfect example of a time capsule. It's so clean and so simplistic that I just enjoy it so much! And in similar fashion with the SVT Focus and the GTI, it has a steering response and handling capabilities that are really remarkable.

My Evo right now is my pride and joy. With the exception of the AWFUL TEIN racing coilovers, I am completely smitten with every aspect of the car. It's a VERY difficult car to drive conservatively. I got I think 160 miles off the last tank. AWFUL gas mileage, yes... but the smile it puts on my face, is worth the tank of gas. Next summer I plan to go E85 with a conservative tune if I can find enough stations in my area. I also want to take it to a local track in my area (Brainerd International Raceway) and give it a good go. I've attending a few import events at the raceway and it's really a remarkable experience.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes, and once the GTI has arrived you can expect many, many pictures to complete my family collection.
Welcome to the VDUB family

Im picking up my CW GTI tonight, upgrading from my 07 GTI. They are great cars and over time, you will learn to appreciate the little things it has to offer, its the reason why Im getting another one! You might get addicted with the Vdubs now!

Looks like you have great car taste, loving the Mustang. I always loved American muscle, if only i can afford the gas haha.
Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #40
MCPunk79
Go Kart Newbie

Still been looking to get into "Further Performance" for that APR Stage 1 tune, but for whatever reason, I can't get an email to them, so I'll just have to call them this spring when I get closer to the time. The car is still AMAZING! I hate having to drive it in the winter, but it is a DD... and it handles remarkably in our winter snow!

I'd like to get a few more pictures of the car posted up... I've done a few interlagos plaid mods to the car, cosmetically... but nothing else. I still have an Evo and a Mustang i'm buying and saving up for. I think the CW GTI will show off VERY well in the snow when I take some pictures.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #41
1coolride

Drives: 2005 Toyota Corolla
loving the color. thats the color i want to go with too. does your gti have a sun roof? how much was it out the door?
1coolride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #42
MCPunk79
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolride View Post
loving the color. thats the color i want to go with too. does your gti have a sun roof? how much was it out the door?
Car was the "base model" GTI... no sunroof, leather seats or upgraded stereo/navigation system.

Car was fantastic for this winter (Minnesota) and had no difficulties whatsoever. For a DD it's so easy and is still fun and provides great MPG. I think the comfort of the car is remarkable and the car has been VERY reliable except for the aftermarket car starter that was put in. I was also very careful in the way the car was taken car of through the winter... it was always stored in a heated garage and I used touchless car washes and "Chemical Guys" waterless Eco-wash to keep the cars paint looking clean and fresh.

Going to keep this car around for quite a while.