GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #43
Arin@APR
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
All files are updated. Stage 1, 1+ and 2+.
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #44
GK625
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 CW Golf R 2Dr Sunroof Nav
Got my Stage 2+ updated tune yesterday along with a USP short-shift kit.

I feel like I have a new car! At the risk of sounding redundant, yes this tune is far better than the old one. Anyone on the fence about it should just dive in. Boost/torque is far more progressive and linear, and can be modulated much better with the throttle pedal. You no longer have that 'rubber-banding' of power. With the told tune, i found myself pushing the pedal in/out/in to achieve the acceleration i wanted without the car bucking... As others have said, first gear used to be sort of all or nothing.

Of course the quick rush of torque on the old tune was great for low-end grunt, but after a split-second the boost would die, only to ramp up again quite steeply. It was a positively bizarre and wholly undesirable power curve that caused vastly uneven rates of accel throught the rev range.

I can freely admit it now but I was never satisfied with my old tune, and as a result my Golf R driving experience in general. This is not just fluff, because after 15 months of owning my 2011 Stage I GTI, which I loved, I racked up 18k miles. After 15 months of owning my 2012 Stage II+ Golf R, I had only driven 12k miles. It was simply not as enjoyable, with a finicky power delivery. Another thing to consider with the issue of the on/off switch power delivery is the noise. My car would transition from mild to LOUD over just 500RPM and it gave the audible effect that I was just flooring it randomly and constantly. My passengers, and passers-by would definitely notice. This when I might have only increased throttle from 20% to 40%.... but the swell in boost would just shove the whole drivetrain and the exhaust would bellow... and it just seemed silly to me.

The only thing one might miss with the new tune is the ability to pass/accel without a downshift because the torque curve has been smoothed and no longer has that quick spike. But the simple fact that torque fell off so quickly in the 'surge zone' makes it undesirable to me.

After only 15 hours with the revised tune I am 150% happier. The driving experience is far more desirable and enjoyable. I literally feel like I have a new drivetrain. And with the shift kit on top, I feel like it is a new car.

DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT. DO IT.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #45
davesxx01
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 .:R
Argh, as I'm guessing I'm one of the very few who never had a problem with the low end surge and loved the instant passing power without shifting I am so torn on wether to get this update or not!
I love the way the bottom felt in every day driving.
I just wanted a bit more in the middle and top end!

Ok, manye I wanted a lot more on the top end,,, without going stage 3!

What to do!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
T S I U P D A T E P L E A S E
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #47
trd420
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2015 S3 Prestige+Performance Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesxx01 View Post
Argh, as I'm guessing I'm one of the very few who never had a problem with the low end surge and loved the instant passing power without shifting I am so torn on wether to get this update or not!
I love the way the bottom felt in every day driving.
I just wanted a bit more in the middle and top end!

Ok, manye I wanted a lot more on the top end,,, without going stage 3!

What to do!
You get the Updated file.
trd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #48
mwrmt
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MKVI R
Send a message via Yahoo to mwrmt
So, after driving around with the new update and new intake, I must say I am thoroughly impressed.

1st gear is definitely usable and there is no problem getting into boost, but it now continues for what seems forever. OOPS, sorry officer, I couldn't have been speeding as I wasn't out of boost yet?!?!?!?!?

The power is definitely a lot more progressive, not so much as a punch in the face.

I have to say that I DIDN'T go with the VWR intake, just too many issues with fitment and possible trim issues too. So I went with Neuspeed's.

Either way, my motor is now naked, but it'll be kept clean, that's for sure.

Thanks to my guys at RPI Equipped for getting me in today and having the intake I needed.

Thanks to APR for yet another job well done.

2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" back on PSS10's; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI, TOP & Charge pipe; APR HPFP & TBE; Audi R8 coilpacks; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings, Neuspeed RSe52's on Michelin PSS...

Last edited by mwrmt; 09-20-2013 at 08:51 PM.
mwrmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #49
trd420
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2015 S3 Prestige+Performance Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrmt View Post
So, after driving around with the new update and new intake, I must say I am thoroughly impressed.

1st gear is definitely usable and there is no problem getting into boost, but it now continues for what seems forever. OOPS, sorry officer, I couldn't have been speeding as I wasn't out of boost yet?!?!?!?!?

The power is definitely a lot more progressive, not so much as a punch in the face.

I have to say that I DIDN'T go with the VWR intake, just too many issues with fitment and possible trim issues too. So I went with Neuspeed's.

Either way, my motor is now naked, but it'll be kept clean, that's for sure.

Thanks to my guys at RPI Equipped for getting me in today and having the intake I needed.

Thanks to APR for yet another job well done.
Yea Neuspeed makes a great intake! Now get the Neuspeed TOB and There TB charge pipe.. Really helps open up the whole system

Edit just saw you have the TOP
trd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #50
mwrmt
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MKVI R
Send a message via Yahoo to mwrmt
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd420 View Post
Yea Neuspeed makes a great intake! Now get the Neuspeed TOB and There TB charge pipe.. Really helps open up the whole system

Edit just saw you have the TOP

Yeah, already have the TOP. I was considering the air charge pipe, but as I may do the intercooler, that would be a waste of $$$ right now.

2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" back on PSS10's; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI, TOP & Charge pipe; APR HPFP & TBE; Audi R8 coilpacks; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings, Neuspeed RSe52's on Michelin PSS...
mwrmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #51
Arin@APR
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
WeeG from SeatCupra.net made the switch to APR software and put down some mightly impressive independent results over in the UK. Take a look!

Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #52
BETO GLI
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: VW Golf GTI 35 AE MKVI
Pretty impressive!
BETO GLI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
my bung hurts. going uni., tsi owners get shafted