GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
holy cow. that is so much carbon build up! DAS NAASTYYYY.

honda2vw

Ready to race!
Do a few 3k+ rpm jaunts on the highway.

No pain in leaving the car in 5th and cruising along for 20 minutes

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Audi noted the potential issue and recommended keeping the engine above 3000 rpms, for over 20 minutes, on a regular basis
What equates to "a regular basis?"

Sent from my Galaxy S4

theburningclutch

Ready to race!
Surpised that they haven't done port and direct injection like the Toyobaru.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Oh I know it's total BS. I use whatever station near me: Mobil, Irving, Valero, doesn't matter.

Somebody told me that the only difference between different gas stations is the premium fuels. 87 is the same for everyone, 93 or 91 is specific to the stations. I agree though it will not help the carbon issue our cars have. It's a design flaw...

honda2vw

Ready to race!
Surpised that they haven't done port and direct injection like the Toyobaru.

There are ways around this but you leave 3-5mpg off the table and this is something VW doesnt want to do.

Somebody told me that the only difference between different gas stations is the premium fuels. 87 is the same for everyone, 93 or 91 is specific to the stations. I agree though it will not help the carbon issue our cars have. It's a design flaw...

I actually believe this as well. Premium fuels contain their blend of detergents and additives while the 87 fuel is all the same ( considering all the stations are equally as busy and etc)

Bender1

Banned
I actually believe this as well. Premium fuels contain their blend of detergents and additives while the 87 fuel is all the same ( considering all the stations are equally as busy and etc)

Incorrect. Detergent packs are detergent packs. Octane is Octane. Two different and very separate things.

honda2vw

Ready to race!
I meant Shell 93 vs Mobil 93.

Obviously octane is different from 87 to 93.

But comparing between companies its really the detergent pack.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
Great thread. My dealership recommended that you do the valve cleaning every 40k miles on the TSI. They quoted my only $124, so well worth the money IMO. My wife has a TDI and they never said anything about valve cleaning. Do you see a lot of the same issues of carbon build up? I would image it would be no different or even worse.

Bender1

Banned
Great thread. My dealership recommended that you do the valve cleaning every 40k miles on the TSI. They quoted my only $124, so well worth the money IMO. My wife has a TDI and they never said anything about valve cleaning. Do you see a lot of the same issues of carbon build up? I would image it would be no different or even worse.

Note that $124 is NOT a true valve cleaning. They will run a solvent through your fuel system and it won't do jack. A true valve cleaning requires removal of the manifold and will run between $400 and $800 depending on local labor rates. Our area is right in the middle of that range.

And yes, TDIs can suffer the same fate.