GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: SS Brake Lines and Fluid Flush

FeX141

Great info and writeup!!
Is it normal to have to top up your brake fluid after 2 years? Does this mean I will have to replace the pads soon? if so how soon? Thank you. :)

Last edited:

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Great info and writeup!!
Is it normal to have to top up your brake fluid after 2 years? Does this mean I will have to replace the pads soon? if so how soon? Thank you. :)

Your brake pads have worn down hence the brake fluid level dropping. If you can, have a look at the brake pad when you do a tire rotation or have the wheel(s) off. Alternatively you can ask your mechanic to check.

It's not a bad idea to do a brake fluid flush every 40K, just remind the dealer to do the clutch line too as they have a tendency to forget.

FeX141

Your brake pads have worn down hence the brake fluid level dropping. If you can, have a look at the brake pad when you do a tire rotation or have the wheel(s) off. Alternatively you can ask your mechanic to check.

It's not a bad idea to do a brake fluid flush every 40K, just remind the dealer to do the clutch line too as they have a tendency to forget.

Thanks for the info and tips Jordanka! It's hard to see the inside pads, but from what I can see (and the outside ones) there is still a decent amount left. :thumbsup:

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info and tips Jordanka! It's hard to see the inside pads, but from what I can see (and the outside ones) there is still a decent amount left. :thumbsup:

NP my man, my car's 6MT and I'm at 57K Km - about 30-40% on the fronts and rears. Your pads should wear evenly unless there are other issues so what you see on the pad facing the front of the rotor should be the same for the pad on the rear face of the rotor.

FeX141

NP my man, my car's 6MT and I'm at 57K Km - about 30-40% on the fronts and rears. Your pads should wear evenly unless there are other issues so what you see on the pad facing the front of the rotor should be the same for the pad on the rear face of the rotor.

Thanks! I can see about 1.5-1.75cm on the outside pads on the front and about 1cm on the rear (what is left). I have 87K km. Only cosmetic changes with my vcds and yellow fogs. :). So if you ever see a carbon coloured GTI with yellow fogs as the daytime running in the GTA, that's probably me! :thumbsup:
I ordered some brake fluid, so I can top it up, although it may not even be necessary.

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Thanks! I can see about 1.5-1.75cm on the outside pads on the front and about 1cm on the rear (what is left). I have 87K km. Only cosmetic changes with my vcds and yellow fogs. :). So if you ever see a carbon coloured GTI with yellow fogs as the daytime running in the GTA, that's probably me! :thumbsup:
I ordered some brake fluid, so I can top it up, although it may not even be necessary.

Wow bud, 87K Km on the original brake pads is pretty damn good. Based on the numbers you wrote I would suggest replacing the brake pads only and doing a fluid flush as preventative maintenance. You should be able to take the OEM rotors past 100K with no problems.

When the car's cool, run your fingers along the rotor and check how smooth they feel. If the brake pads get completely worn they'll damage the rotor, so replace the pads before this happens.

FeX141

Wow bud, 87K Km on the original brake pads is pretty damn good. Based on the numbers you wrote I would suggest replacing the brake pads only and doing a fluid flush as preventative maintenance. You should be able to take the OEM rotors past 100K with no problems.

When the car's cool, run your fingers along the rotor and check how smooth they feel. If the brake pads get completely worn they'll damage the rotor, so replace the pads before this happens.

Will do! I do most of my driving when there is no or little traffic. 70% highway. And I am easy on the brakes. (can't say the same for the throttle though :thumbsup:)

I'll be sure to check the surface roughness of the rotors and replace the pads before they are totally done. I wonder how much leeway the pad sensor gives, or if you have to replace them right away once it goes off.
Overall, I am very impressed with the longevity of the brake pads.

Thanks again! :)

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Will do! I do most of my driving when there is no or little traffic. 70% highway. And I am easy on the brakes. (can't say the same for the throttle though :thumbsup:)

I'll be sure to check the surface roughness of the rotors and replace the pads before they are totally done. I wonder how much leeway the pad sensor gives, or if you have to replace them right away once it goes off.
Overall, I am very impressed with the longevity of the brake pads.

Thanks again! :)

You're certainly welcome. I would replace the pads right away once the sensor goes off. If you're at almost 90K I'd start shopping around for brake pads in the interim.

FeX141

You're certainly welcome. I would replace the pads right away once the sensor goes off. If you're at almost 90K I'd start shopping around for brake pads in the interim.

I think the rears will go first. They seem to have much less pad left than the fronts. And I think the sensor is on the front driver side only. So I will just have to monitor the last 0.5cm of pad.
I have been looking for pads. Seems there are some good pads for a good price on TireRack. Can get some HPS for a decent price. https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...utoModel=GTI&autoYear=2010&autoModClar=2-Door

Thanks!

FeX141

Update:
I was wrong about the amount of pad left. Fronts come with 12mm I'm at 8mm.
Rears are at 1-1.5mm.
I changed the rears only. Pads and rotors. And did a fluid flush.

I'm amazed at how much pad is left on the fronts! I have now about 90K km

Cheers,