GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 03-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
.:R 4082
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 .:R Rising Blue 4dr
Save the leathers

I have a new bundle of joy on the way... Which means i have to put a car seat in my 2013 Golf .:R. What are you guys with kids putting down to protect your leather seats?? Any ideas appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.:R 4082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
eduardot
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 GTI
I don't have kids, but there are plenty of seat protectors on amazon. Like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-.../dp/B00368CLXW
eduardot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Avdigigeek
Oval Champion

Drives: MKVI 10 GTI MKVI 12 sport wagon tdi
You cq
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:R 4082 View Post
I have a new bund le of joy on the way... Which means i have to put a car seat in my 2013 Golf .:R. What are you guys with kids putting down to protect your leather seats?? Any ideas appreciated

Nothing you can do you`l l be sucking up cheerios for the next 5 years.

You can throw down a custom cut yoga or camping mat to protect from the edges doing damage the seats.

With the latch systems yo don'twant to get to crazy.

Take it out a vacuum often.
We bought a cordless Dyson withhas been great for the cars.

Other then that removing it once a week let's the leather go back to shape.
Avdigigeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Cbax38
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 CW 4-dr GTI w/nav/conv/sun/HID
The only issue i ever had with car seats and leather is the base of the seat makes indentations in the leather. All crumbs, spills snd other mess clean right up. Truthfully though, you may think youll care about the leather but after a while you wont. Youll be happy the kid is just being quiet back there!
Cbax38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
Plinyyounger
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 grey/leather/Dsg/Stg1/cai
Better leather than cloth! Use a leather preservative on the seat and wipe up the milk spills right away or you will be smelling it! whatever happens to ur seats, it's worth it, kids are the best!!!
Plinyyounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Nitron
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG Autobahn
Screw that! Just don't let the kid eat in the car. Get a DVD player installed in your headrest instead.
Nitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
GTIJenn
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI Tornado Red 6spd 4 dr
For something practical, placing a cut yoga mat on thw seats will work great, as long as you remember to clean under it every couple of months.

When my sister and I were younger, we weren't allowed to eat anything in the car that would make a crumbly mess (unless my mother road in the back to prevent a mess) and NEVER any drinks of color (juice, dark soda pop, etc). We were only allowed clear beverages. No ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, nothing like that. And it has taught me a lot of respect for car. We weren't allowed to touch the inside of the car windows. The interior of my parents cars ALWAYS look(ed) nix nix that had taught me the same for my own.

We also didn't have DVD players and other entertainment until I was 15 or so, and we never had a need for it. You can save that money also, and tell your children to talk to you and enjoy the view out of the window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayaGTI View Post
I jizz Bacardi 151
GTIJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
ccg36
Ready to race!

Drives: 2014 CSG 4dr GTI Wolfsburg DSG
When are kids were in car seats, tried a couple different matts but the seats always wanted to slide around. Put them right on the leather. Leather seats went back into shape after a week or so with car seat on them. Just keep things clean, dry cereal and crumbs can be abrasive over time.

Carl

ccg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
Tech72
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MkVI GTI 4-DR Black DSG
I have a toddler and also leather in my GTI. I use a seat protector so that the child seat doesn't mess up the leather. You can pick up a seat protector at Walmart or Target for $15-20. And as other posters mentioned, every few months use a good quality leather conditioner on your leather seats to maintain it. But that's something you should do regardless of having the child seat or not. Kids can be really messy, especially when they eat in the car. As long as you clean up right away after spills, it's not too bad. Just don't let food stuff set or soak in.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Child-of-M...ector/25596749
Old 03-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
Ganiman
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, 2017 Beetle Dune
I don't have leather, but train your kid. My daughter knows the rules when she is in the GTI. No feet on the seats. No food, especially drinks, in the car. She steps over the door sill when she gets in the car and not on it. She's 6 now. I had a MK4 GTI 337 when she was born, so she's been around Daddy's cars since she can remember. She is more careful than the wife, and such a great sport about it. She respects the rules without any problems. The wife lets her break the rules in the Tiguan though, so Daddy's got more interior cleaning to do there than in the GTI I just took the car seat out and went with a booster only kind of seat, which is a lot nicer in terms of "saving the seats" - it's not tied down so tight where it would leave indentations in the seat anymore.

As people have suggested, a yoga mat is a great idea. Get good at taking the car seat in and out of the car too so you can clean under it. I wouldn't expect a new born peanut to be too messy, unless the kid is bottle feeding themself while you're driving Once you turn them around and face them forward in the car, that's when you'll start finding crumbs. My kid did puke in our old Passat Wagon at least once - that's always fun. I suspect leather might be a little more forgiving on that front.

Log
Ganiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
.:R 4082
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 .:R Rising Blue 4dr
Thanks guys for the advice and helpful tips. I think she will be fine in the car, like Ganiman said I'll just have to train/teach her.

.:R 4082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #12
moddedeuros
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: Audi/VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:R 4082 View Post
I have a new bundle of joy on the way... Which means i have to put a car seat in my 2013 Golf .:R. What are you guys with kids putting down to protect your leather seats?? Any ideas appreciated

Just wanted to say congrats on the new addition

Looking back I remember as a kid having my crayon melt all over the seat of my dads sports car. Im sure I laugh now but could only imagine how frustrated he was lol
moddedeuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
bought this (http://www.amazon.com/BRICA-Seat-Gua...seat+protector)

Put it in Wife's GMC Terrain and have only moved it once - no indentation at all since it spreads out the pressure points and helps collect spills. But until the baby is holding her own milk/snacks you should be safe anyways (>1 year). Remember they are breastfeeding/formula exclusively for at least 6 months to a year and then they only eat snacks at home anyways if you choose to feed them solid foods. You'll be fine!

Advice from the father of a 5 month old. On a side note, I do not have a car seat in my GTI at all so take my advice with a grain of salt. Stay at home mom = no car seat for Dad's GTI.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote