GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
felixk
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2013 VW Golf R
2013 Golf R engine type

I'm a little confused about the engine types in a Golf R. Was hoping if someone can shed some light.

What's the difference between the 2.0T FSI and the 2.0 TSI?

Does the 2013 Golf R have a 2.0T FSI or TSI?

Finally, what Carbonio intake should I get for a 2013 Golf R?

This:

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake...io_20tfsi.html

or this:

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake...nio_20tsi.html

Thanks!

Felix
felixk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
iGTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A car with round vents
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixk View Post
I'm a little confused about the engine types in a Golf R. Was hoping if someone can shed some light.

What's the difference between the 2.0T FSI and the 2.0 TSI?

Does the 2013 Golf R have a 2.0T FSI or TSI?

Finally, what Carbonio intake should I get for a 2013 Golf R?

This:

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake...io_20tfsi.html

or this:

http://www.goapr.com/products/intake...nio_20tsi.html

Thanks!

Felix
Its technically a FSI with up graded components, I believe pistons and rods are the upgraded components (someone correct me if I am wrong). The 1st link is the proper intake for the R (FSI) the second is for a GTI (TSI)

S3 16'
STG 1+ Sold
iGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
felixk
Go Kart Newbie

So my 2013 Golf R is a 2.0T FSI? It's strange because the engine cover says "TSI".

So confused...
Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
TRUboost
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 CSG GTI/'13 CW GLI
Quote:
So my 2013 Golf R is a 2.0T FSI? It's strange because the engine cover says "TSI".

So confused...
Yes exactly.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II
TRUboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
The golf R engine is the EA113 branded as a TSI, an engine released in 2004 IIRC on a few Audi models. The GTI engine is the EA888 branded as a TSI as well, introduced in the 2008.5 GTI. They're actually pretty different engines aside from their dimensions (which is exactly the same at 82.5x92.8mm bore x stroke) and integrated turbine manifold.

The TSI has a compression ratio of 9.6:1 where the FSI is 11.5:1 driven by new piston and head geometry.

The TSI has a LPFP at the gas tank in addition to the HPFP whereas the FSI has just the HPFP at the engine.

The TSI has this fancy chain-driven cylindrical balance shafts that reduce engine inertia and parasitic losses from rotating assemblies. The water pump is bolted underneath the intake manifold, also for packaging reasons.

The TSI has chain-driven cam shafts and the FSI is belt-driven.

The TSI is driven by the Bosch MED17 ECU, too, which brings a number of control differences too in-depth to list here.

Edit: forgot a major difference that the R uses the k04 turbo where the GTI uses the k03.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
smrtypants44
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 135i
I think the main confusion comes from the fact that while the enthusiast community uses "FSI" and "TSI" to signify different engines, Volkswagen uses those terms as marketing speak for direct injection. So to us, FSI= EA113 and TSI=EA888. To Volkswagen FSI=TSI=TFSI= Direct Injection.

So OP, the engine in the Golf R is an entirely different engine than in the mk6 GTI. Therefore you need to use parts (intakes) specific to the Golf R.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
felixk
Go Kart Newbie

Thanks Guys...things are making sense now.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
iGTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A car with round vents
Quote:
I am not sure were you are taking you R in regards to performance mods but you may want to research(if you haven't so already) the variety of intakes. For the dollar their maybe better intakes depending in what you're planning to achieve.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...hlight=intakes

S3 16'
STG 1+ Sold
iGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
SK VeeDubR
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGTI View Post
I am not sure were you are taking you R in regards to performance mods but you may want to research(if you haven't so already) the variety of intakes. For the dollar their maybe better intakes depending in what you're planning to achieve.

this
SK VeeDubR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
crazyaRms
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 13' CW Golf R 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGTI View Post

Couldn't agree more. I dropped some serious coin on my carbonio and was extremely dissatisfied. Ended up selling it on the classifieds for half what i paid for it and bought a volant intake.

Do some research before you snatch up a $300 snorkel and filter.
2013 4DR CW Golf R. APR Stage 1. Volant Intake. ECS Short Shifter. MK4 Relay Lever. 42DD Shift linkage bushings. DEPO Dark Cherry LED Tails. BSH Torque arm insert. H&R Sport Springs. Newsouth Boost Gauge. Enkei RS05RRs. TWM Shift knob. Magnaflow Catback. Nesuspeed RSB and Endlinks. R8 Coils. GFB DV+. BSH Competition Catch Can. THULE Roof Rack. Valentine V1.
crazyaRms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
felixk
Go Kart Newbie

thanks..i'll research haven't pulled the trigger yet..
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
Bozz
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 R, 94 Explorer, 80 Corvette
Quote:
...and as far as the engine cover thing goes...the "TSI" on the Golf R engine cover is technically /wrong/.
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
nimda
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 Candy White Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
The golf R engine is the EA113 branded as a TSI, an engine released in 2004 IIRC on a few Audi models. The GTI engine is the EA888 branded as a TSI as well, introduced in the 2008.5 GTI. They're actually pretty different engines aside from their dimensions (which is exactly the same at 82.5x92.8mm bore x stroke) and integrated turbine manifold.

The TSI has a compression ratio of 9.6:1 where the FSI is 11.5:1 driven by new piston and head geometry.

The TSI has a LPFP at the gas tank in addition to the HPFP whereas the FSI has just the HPFP at the engine.

The TSI has this fancy chain-driven cylindrical balance shafts that reduce engine inertia and parasitic losses from rotating assemblies. The water pump is bolted underneath the intake manifold, also for packaging reasons.

The TSI has chain-driven cam shafts and the FSI is belt-driven.

The TSI is driven by the Bosch MED17 ECU, too, which brings a number of control differences too in-depth to list here.

Edit: forgot a major difference that the R uses the k04 turbo where the GTI uses the k03.
Well done!