GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #57
svickstc
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Nike 6.0
Do you need to make an appoitnment with apr for the waterfest event in advanced. I checked apr's website and didn't see the event on their calendar?

Thanks for the info
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #58
veedoubleme
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2014 MB C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNTC3 View Post
Good reasons to not tune (not saying I wont but just good reasons)

1. The transmission.
If you are 6MT: your clutch will not hold the extra 80lb-ft of torque. It will slip, and then you will have to replace it with an upgraded clutch and flywheel, which will make alot of noise and cost anywear from $1200-$1800 to replace. It will then make noise while in neutral since the DMFW is removed (I have done this before and hated it)

If you are DSG: This transmission handles the power fine, BUT now that VW can see if you are tuned, they can readily deny you warranty coverage on your transmissions. Have you seen the bill for mechantronics or transmission replacement? It is a some-what common failure. If I recall mechatronics replacement is over 2K and a transmission is 5k.
There are been more failures of clutches with stock cars than tuned cars according to Bender's poll. Seems more likely to be an issue of driving style than power. That said, the OEM clutch is not real strong, so yeah, it can be iffy. DSG repairs/replacements are not even close to some-what common failures. That's BS. If you disagree, find me lots of threads.

Quote:
2. Front Wheel Drive: The stock chassis/engine is very balanced for a FWD car. I do not need to worry about spinning the tires through second gear.
Stage 2 with summer tires, a little wheel spin at the top of first, and then none after that. I have no problem getting the power down:

Quote:
3. Performance: Yes, you get a "torque mountain" at about 3500rpm but our tiny little turbo cant do to much up top. Stg1 can get you into the high 13s low 14s in the 1/4 mile. I ran a 14.4 bone stock. Not worth the expense to gain a few tenths in the quarter mile.
It's not a "torque mountain at about 3500 RPM". There is massive torque right off idle, and it doesn't start to fall off until after 4000 RPM. For daily driving, that torque range is insanely usable. You can talk 1/4 mile crap all day, but it's not a 1/4 mile car. It's a daily driver for almost everybody on here and for that, stage 1, 2, and K04 are all fantastic upgrades. Regarding top end, there is more power up top than you think. HP starts falling off at 5000 with stage 1, but with stage 2 and an intake, it pulls very good up top, all the way to 6000.

Quote:
4. Greed. This is probably the biggest one. Soon you will get used to your stg1, and then want stage 2. Then KO4, then GT28....get the picture. No matter what you drive you will get used to it, and always want more. Boost is addicting.
Kind of agree on that, but I'm pretty happy with stage 2. Happier than I thought I would be.

I would say you listed reasons you may not want to tune, but I don't they they are "good reasons not to tune" for everybody else.
veedoubleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #59
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
I maintain bullshit. Please report your statistics that prove that my clutch will prematurely go.

Ps: addicting has made its way into the american vocabulary thanks to reality television and most americans operating on an 8th grade reading level. We an go ahead and add 'irregardless' to that list as well on that premise.

Last edited by McQueen77; 06-24-2012 at 06:38 PM.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #60
GPM
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI
All credibility is lost when you bring your mommy's car into the discussion.
GPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #61
veedoubleme
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2014 MB C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
veedoubleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #62
99bajakid
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:

4. Greed. This is probably the biggest one. Soon you will get used to your stg1, and then want stage 2. Then KO4, then GT28....get the picture. No matter what you drive you will get used to it, and always want more. Boost is addicting.
lol i've never owned a car/truck that i didn't mod like crazy.. so i don't think the gti will be any different.
99bajakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #63
Monkey77
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 12' GTI 6-spd, CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
I maintain bullshit. Please report your statistics that prove that my clutch will prematurely go.

Ps: addicting has made its way into the american vocabulary thanks to reality television and most americans operating on an 8th grade reading level. We an go ahead and add 'irregardless' to that list as well on that premise.
True Story and alas, a sad reality.

20% Tint, HOEN Yellow Fogs, HR Front and Rear SB, AWE Boost Gauge, DG Springs, WhiteLine Anti-Lift Kit, New Car Smell...........
Monkey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #64
beantown53
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post

beantown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #65
corydd
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '10 CW GTI DSG Autobahn
Not gonna lie, I didn't even read this thread. Doesn't matter - TUNE IT.

You're welcome.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #66
jawkdna
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: BLACK GTI MKVI 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydd View Post
Not gonna lie, I didn't even read this thread. Doesn't matter - TUNE IT.

You're welcome.
Read this thread...and pulled the trigger, just got back from getting my APR Stage 1.
jawkdna is offline   Reply With Quote