GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
Nice. Pretty much what I had done prior to my departure minus the rat traps. Something came up recently and got me thinking about the turbo and all the stuff associated with it. A little more at ease, thanks appreciate it.

Mercfh

Ready to race!
When you rev up the car in a gear (lets say to 6th) but then release the gas and coast as the RPM's drop (lets say I revved up to 5k RPM and then released the gas and let it slowly drop down).

Is this in any way bad? Because sometimes (usually after a turn) ill be in second gear and rev up to 4k, but since im about to turn again ill just slow down from that (instead of shifting to third then immediatly back to second 2 seconds later).

Can't imagine it's any worse than using the brake and the rpm's dropping.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Anyone around the Long Island area, specifically Suffolk County, know of any meet ups? I would love to attend a VW meet. :thumbup:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
When you rev up the car in a gear (lets say to 6th) but then release the gas and coast as the RPM's drop (lets say I revved up to 5k RPM and then released the gas and let it slowly drop down).

Is this in any way bad? Because sometimes (usually after a turn) ill be in second gear and rev up to 4k, but since im about to turn again ill just slow down from that (instead of shifting to third then immediatly back to second 2 seconds later).

Can't imagine it's any worse than using the brake and the rpm's dropping.

Can you even get to 5k rpms in 6th?

But to answer your question, no, it's not bad, as long as you don't go so low that you lug the engine, as has been explained to you numerous times.;)

Mercfh

Ready to race!
Can you even get to 5k rpms in 6th?

But to answer your question, no, it's not bad, as long as you don't go so low that you lug the engine, as has been explained to you numerous times.;)

Yea yeah im not talking about lugging, I usually will either downshift or (as in most of the time) shift into neutral (if im about to stop).

Like for instance what I really mean was I was in third and kinda giving it some good gas shooting up to 5k or so rpm.....then I realized Oh crap theirs a stop soon....so I let off the gas to let it slow down (and the rpm's drop to 1-2k or so). I didn't know if this was dangerous at all...Just letting the rpm's drop in a single gear down to 1-2 from 5-6k or so.

Lugging though is below Idle right? what exactly is that in these cars? 800 or so RPM?

Who are all the companies that make torque arm inserts? Im seriously considering getting one and I know only of Neuspeed, BFI, ECS, Autotech.

just buy one of those...you really dont want off brand shit

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398441761.078687.jpg

What could these marks be? Brand new tires and they weren't on there before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
just buy one of those...you really dont want off brand shit

i have the ecs one, the only downside that it softens the shifting (s3 short shifter almost brought back stock shifting feel), considering a different one, i know hpa has one n its kinda expensive.

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
Yea yeah im not talking about lugging, I usually will either downshift or (as in most of the time) shift into neutral (if im about to stop).

Like for instance what I really mean was I was in third and kinda giving it some good gas shooting up to 5k or so rpm.....then I realized Oh crap theirs a stop soon....so I let off the gas to let it slow down (and the rpm's drop to 1-2k or so). I didn't know if this was dangerous at all...Just letting the rpm's drop in a single gear down to 1-2 from 5-6k or so.

Lugging though is below Idle right? what exactly is that in these cars? 800 or so RPM?

No it's fine what you're describing is called engine braking, some used to believe it was harmful but the consensus now it that it doesn't do any major harm to the tranny or engine. But why not pop the clutch and use the brakes for what they're designed to do? Idle varies slightly whether the engine is warm or not, I would pop the clutch around 1500

willmk4

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 40184

What could these marks be? Brand new tires and they weren't on there before.

If you just got them installed that is probably the wax lube type substance some companies use to help the wheel in the tire.. Happened to me. Except it went all over the damn tire and won't come off for shit. Used amonia after about 2 weeks of assuming itll comw off and most of it came off

Mercfh

Ready to race!
No it's fine what you're describing is called engine braking, some used to believe it was harmful but the consensus now it that it doesn't do any major harm to the tranny or engine. But why not pop the clutch and use the brakes for what they're designed to do? Idle varies slightly whether the engine is warm or not, I would pop the clutch around 1500

Im not downshifting, unless thats what you also mean. Im just letting the rpm's drop from 5-6k in third gear, to 1-2k in third gear.

Maybe thats what you also meant though. I can't see how this would seriously do any harm.......but I figured i'd ask. Im surprised it was even "thought" to do harm at one time, I mean.....anytime we wouldn't be using the gas would be harming the engine lol