GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - KMD Lower Stress Bar Kit

bcgti

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Been on here for a bit lurking but never created a thread. First a little background .... 2012 GTI DSG with APR stage 2, Volant intake, CTS DP, CTS TOP and Ultra Racing Mid Brace. Stock everything else including the Pirelli's. Grew up with a 69 Chevelle that was constantly modded (had for ~20 years), owned mostly trucks and had a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 (modded of course) before the GTI.

So, I wanted to reduce the sway/roll to get better cornering but was put off on the Front Sway Bar install and don't like the feeling of just a Rear bar. Thought I would give this a try as I had success with braces on the Speed 3 and they're usually easy installs.

Install:

Here's the bars out of the box:

2014-05-08 10.01.11 (Small).jpg

Nice and light with solid hardware. The rear was extremely easy to install with the only issue the lack of any instructions. The brackets on the rear subframe bar were partially installed from KMD and needed to be switched.

The front was easy also but I noticed what looked like a missing subframe bolt on the passenger side. I realized it was a non-threaded hole but since the mounting plate needed that anchor point I bought a grade 8 3" bolt/nut combo and used that. On the drivers side there was a casting ridge that prevented the mounting plate from laying flat so I had to grid some material away to make it fit. Not a big deal in my eyes as it'll probably vary between cars.

2014-05-08 13.14.33 (Small).jpg

2014-05-08 13.25.50 (Small).jpg

Without instructions I didn't have any torque specs so I just used my wrench and upped the torque until I could get the bolts to just move and used that as my torque spec. Used red loctite on the bolts and had it all together in about an hour.

Driving Impressions:

From my house there's a fairly sharp right hand merge onto the highway which I always take quick as it's a fairly short merge lane. Normally I can really feel the car shift/roll to the left. Without looking at my speed I went into it expecting the same pitch to the left but instead found the car to remain flat and my traction control came on for the first time ever around a corner.

I then did some driving around town before heading to the twisty local mountain pass. Definitely feel a more responsive turn in and better hold when setting into a turn. Also the transition between left to right turns is a tighter feel.

Overall I feel more confident in cornering as the car stays flatter without affecting the ride quality. This is something you will feel the more you push the car.

Will it change the world for you? Probably not but if you're sensitive to the handling of your car and like to push it hard on corners then I think this is a good purchase. You will notice the difference and it will make the driving experience more enjoyable.

Any questions or comments please let me know!

Thanks

Attachments

• 2014-05-08 10.01.11 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-08 10.01.11 (Small).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 981
  • 2014-05-08 13.14.33 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-08 13.14.33 (Small).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 772
  • 2014-05-08 13.25.50 (Small).jpg
    2014-05-08 13.25.50 (Small).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 821

CobraKing

Ready to race!
Hey bud, thanks for taking the time to review these parts. In fact you might be the only person to actually be running these on their car.

Good to see that they function as intended.

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
I've been eyeballing this kit since KMD posted it on this forum. Not real stoked about it not coming with any kind of instructions and the fact that you had to grind down one of the parts to get it to fit. Want to chime in on this one KMD? I am happy to hear about the positive results though. So, no increased NVH?

bcgti

Ready to race!
No increased NVH at all. The grinding doesn't bother me since it's aluminum and it's very minor .... I had to elongate the holes on my mid brace from Ultra Racing.

I did call KMD direct and was told that there's no instructions sent as it was intended for professional install. I also contacted Frank @ KMD who did copy me on an email to the tech guys but I haven't heard back yet (since Thursday afternoon). The staff seemed nice.

Frank@KMD1

Go Kart Champion
Great review!
BCGTI, what did you have to grind down?
Sorry you had to do that. But no grinding was needed on my install and 2 other KMD kits we've done. We are going to make a DIY and add instructions ASAP!

If anyone EVER needs anything I'm here!! Just hit me up.

bcgti

Ready to race!
Frank - If you look at the second pic it's the bracket for the front brace. I'm picky and it just didn't want to lay flat .... it was still OK to install but would have a slight bend in it unless I took a little material off. The other side was fine though. Again, not a big deal in my mind for what it is.

Now that I've had more time with the braces I will say that the whole car feels more solid and is actually more comfortable/quiet over broken pavement. I also notice the traction light coming on around tight corners when pushed which didn't happen before. Happy with them for sure!

wbean

attention whore
i want this but i know it won't fit the golf R cause the freaking driveshaft makes the downpipe angle downwards.

The unibrace i had didn't come remotely fitting (for sale btw)

Frank@KMD1

Go Kart Champion
i want this but i know it won't fit the golf R cause the freaking driveshaft makes the downpipe angle downwards.

The unibrace i had didn't come remotely fitting (for sale btw)

we have not tested on a Golf R as of yet.
but will be soon.

panda_man22

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

The front was easy also but I noticed what looked like a missing subframe bolt on the passenger side. I realized it was a non-threaded hole but since the mounting plate needed that anchor point I bought a grade 8 3" bolt/nut combo and used that.

were there missing parts or is the kit just incomplete?

bcgti

Ready to race!
The kit was complete for sure. The 2 front mount brackets re-use existing bolts in the subframe but for some reason my car didn't have a bolt on the passenger side. I seem to recall a past post about this ... I'll see if I can dig it up.

Frank@KMD1

Go Kart Champion
Did instructions get made?

We do not have instructions at this time. But we will be making them.
with tq specs etc. If you order the kit, i will be happy to answer any questions.
bcgti has pm'd me for questions. I dont mind assisting. But this kit is straight forward for install.

Frank@KMD1

Go Kart Champion
still no instructions or diy after seven months past the promise to do so? At least post the TQ specs.

Hi PatrickGTIVI,

I apologize that we do not have instructions yet. We need to have a MK6 come in and take photos to make easy to install instructions.

TQ specs.
Front Stress bar 70NM and a 1/4 turn (90 Degrees)
Rear upper bar 95NM
Lower Rear bar 90NM

I hope this helps

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand how this effects chassis flex, if it is connected to two different spots on the subframe? Does the subframe flex?