GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Fans staying on after car is shut off

I realize this is a common question with the answer being that it's a way for the motor to cool off after a hard run or a long drive in the heat.

My question is, what makes the engine decide to do this? I made my usual commute today and for the first time since owning the car (6 months), the fans stayed on when the engine was shut off. I knew this was a VW feature and thought little of it. 5 hours later, the engine has fully cooled down and I moved it from my parking lot inside my bay at work (100 feet and about 30 seconds of drive time). After shutting it off (temp gauge was showing low temps), the fans stayed on. I let it sit another hour, turned it on and turned it right off and the fans stayed on again. I then drove home in the rain (30 minute drive) and the fans are still on after car is shut off.

What is the protocol that tells the fans that they need to stay on?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
VINNY
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 SB 2dr DSG.
Something is wrong! In the summer 85+ heat, and running hard, the fans will run for a couple of minutes, otherwise not at all.

BTW, I'm stage 2.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI DSG Mk6 VEYRON
Are you tuned?
2011 GTI DSG -Detroits swapped for Denvers|Soundaktor killed|DG Base Carrier Bars|VW Valve Stem Caps (+10hp!)|Dash Cubby|Euro Switch|GTI Seat Wrench Inserts|Conti DWS's|Vag-Com Mods|Double Apex USB Charger
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
yup, stage 2 uni. Ive also had two check engine lights on for a few weeks (all evap codes that the dealership refuses to mess with due to being tuned: p2400, p0444)
Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
drewmtb
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
When my ecu failed I had the fan issue but they never turned off. They stayed on until they drained the battery. Have you tried a more mod friendly dealer to look into the evap codes? Have you tried clearing them? I don't think those codes are for the gas cap but that does throw an evap related code if it is lose.
drewmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
your ECU fried. and i saw another post today on that topic too.. man we are dropping like flies..

welcome to a $1600 bill or so. especially since the dealer knows you are tuned.
2013R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
roddyc
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 6MT
Mine run occasionally if I've run hard and let the car idle for a little bit before shutting it off.

From reading around, it seems that the fans always on could be an ECU issue if you've been tuned before. Apparently if the ECU isn't resealed properly after being opened, moisture could be introduced and short the ECU causing the fans to run constantly. I'd probably try to start with the shop that originally tuned you.
roddyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #8
DSR7
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2008 R32
...whoa.

Wait. The GTI's fan is supposed to run after the engine is turned off on hot days/excessive heat?

My new '13 has never done that. Ever. My wife's Tiguan does, but I figured it was only a feature on her model.

Crap.

Last edited by DSR7; 07-03-2014 at 10:41 PM.
DSR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI DSG Mk6 VEYRON
^Yes, but you have to run it HARD to get them to stay on.
2011 GTI DSG -Detroits swapped for Denvers|Soundaktor killed|DG Base Carrier Bars|VW Valve Stem Caps (+10hp!)|Dash Cubby|Euro Switch|GTI Seat Wrench Inserts|Conti DWS's|Vag-Com Mods|Double Apex USB Charger
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
zerocal
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
Welcome to the "fan" club.... no pun intended.

My fans started doing the same and same codes were pulled. The dealer replaced the fans under warranty, but turned out to be the ECU.

Working with my dealer and Uni, I was able to get another ECU (tuned) and was back on track. So 99% sure something hardware wise is wrong with your ECU and it needs to get replaced.

Keffer VW has the lowest price on the net about 850 and the dealer will charge about 350 for install and flash.

good luck
Old 07-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #11
booey1979
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 gti cw mt
Mine runs at moderate driving but turns off in a few minutes.
booey1979 is offline   Reply With Quote